• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah87

Sat my stage 2 and MMI yesterday. Got the email today saying I've passed and to await further instruction for DMI. Hopefully won't be waiting too long but you lot not giving me much hope! Still absolutely buzzing I managed to get this far!
Congratulations

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Danetime

Looking for some advice if possible.

Has anyone ever changed job's while in the talent pool?

In my current job, I heavily rely on my car. I do about 40-50k miles a year. My car is getting to the point where it's becoming more than worn into the ground and needs replacing soon.

So I'm looking at two options either invest in another car where I won't see a return invest for about 3-4 years or getting a local job until the day (hopefully) comes when I receive a call.

I'm leaning on finding a new job but I don't know how this would look to GWR?

Daydr3am3r

Looking for some advice if possible.

Has anyone ever changed job's while in the talent pool?

In my current job, I heavily rely on my car. I do about 40-50k miles a year. My car is getting to the point where it's becoming more than worn into the ground and needs replacing soon.

So I'm looking at two options either invest in another car where I won't see a return invest for about 3-4 years or getting a local job until the day (hopefully) comes when I receive a call.

I'm leaning on finding a new job but I don't know how this would look to GWR?

Hi mate

At the minute you have no guarantee of a job despite being in the talent pool. Personally I would continue with my life and when that calls comes it’s all the sweeter.
GWR won’t have an issue with you changing jobs. Just make sure you don’t take a job with a long notice period!!

DD

DWR

Hi mate

At the minute you have no guarantee of a job despite being in the talent pool. Personally I would continue with my life and when that calls comes it’s all the sweeter.
GWR won’t have an issue with you changing jobs. Just make sure you don’t take a job with a long notice period!!

DD

Is that a joke, or do they genuinely not like long notice periods? Mine is 3 months.

Stigy

Established Member
Is that a joke, or do they genuinely not like long notice periods? Mine is 3 months.
It’s not necessarily that they don’t like long notice periods, but there’s no point in changing jobs in the meantime for one where, if the call does come, you have to then give 3-months notice. It just doesn’t make sense, especially if at interview you told GWR that you only had to give 4 weeks (they may have factored this in when they offer you a place so as to only call you 6 weeks before a prospective start date).

I very much doubt it would be an issue when getting a new job, as most notice periods start off relatively short anyway.

DWR

It’s not necessarily that they don’t like long notice periods, but there’s no point in changing jobs in the meantime for one where, if the call does come, you have to then give 3-months notice. It just doesn’t make sense, especially if at interview you told GWR that you only had to give 4 weeks (they may have factored this in when they offer you a place so as to only call you 6 weeks before a prospective start date).

I very much doubt it would be an issue when getting a new job, as most notice periods start off relatively short anyway.

My union says the company can only enforce one month, but I'd rather leave on good terms if at all possible...

Jaytrains

From my online application in November 2018 until my second assessment in September 2019 there’s been a 4 month gap every time gwr emailed me for the next stage so i guess i should be hearing from them soon

Eggs&Bacon

For me, i applied In 2017 for for the 2018/2019 intake. In the pool from March 2019. :rolleyes: still swimming around now.;)

Old Chap

For me, i applied In 2017 for for the 2018/2019 intake. In the pool from March 2019. :rolleyes: still swimming around now.;)
That is a long time - I admire your patience. I have been in the pool since 5th Jul 2019 with Reading. Which depot are you down for? I really struggle to understand why there is no information at all.

Eggs&Bacon

Paddington mate. It is frustrating when you jump through all the hoops and drop everything to attend different stages, only to then get radio silence.

Old Chap

Paddington mate. It is frustrating when you jump through all the hoops and drop everything to attend different stages, only to then get radio silence.
You are so right. So you have been 10 months, I have been 7 but it seems "Busandrail" out-does us both for time in purgatory, and got picked up for January this year. The clock keeps ticking and we should just stick on in there as advised!

Eggs&Bacon

You are so right. So you have been 10 months, I have been 7 but it seems "Busandrail" out-does us both for time in purgatory, and got picked up for January this year. The clock keeps ticking and we should just stick on in there as advised!

Yes Busandrail has, haha. I'll keep waiting for the phone call dont you worry. I bet you it comes when I'm meant to be going on holiday, just my luck that.

PearoTheHero

I wouldn't be holding my breath for any courses in the south west at least for now, possibly even this year. Whether that includes Reading or Hex I've no idea

PickleTree

I wouldn't be holding my breath for any courses in the south west at least for now, possibly even this year. Whether that includes Reading or Hex I've no idea

A couple of people started a separate thread on here yesterday to say they were starting a course in Bristol next week with GWR.

Old Chap

I would be very interested (along with others) as to how good your information is or whether it is an educated guess Pearo. Given that we are all on this thread for roughly the same reason, the end result we all want is to be course-loaded. Could you expand on your post or is it a gut feeling from being on the inside?

Nevergiveup

Hi everyone, I applied with SWR for trainee and need to do the online assessment. Does anyone know if it’s the one where you select correct answer or the one where you select “most likely/least likely” options? Last year I applied with one of the first group companies and failed on the online assessment, it was the most likely/least likely one

Stigy

Established Member
Hi everyone, I applied with SWR for trainee and need to do the online assessment. Does anyone know if it’s the one where you select correct answer or the one where you select “most likely/least likely” options? Last year I applied with one of the first group companies and failed on the online assessment, it was the most likely/least likely one
It’s the standard FirstGroup one these days I believe. So the same as the one you did previously.

Nonuts

All anyone can do is wait and hope. I heard

I appreciate certain depots seem to take longer than others to get into but mine is one of the smallest and I was told there was absolutely no chance I would get a course in under 2 years. Start next month. We never know what the future plans are and what staffing level is required so I'd advise not to lose hope or be resigned to a long wait. It won't necessarily be long.

Stigy

Established Member
All anyone can do is wait and hope. I heard

I appreciate certain depots seem to take longer than others to get into but mine is one of the smallest and I was told there was absolutely no chance I would get a course in under 2 years. Start next month. We never know what the future plans are and what staffing level is required so I'd advise not to lose hope or be resigned to a long wait. It won't necessarily be long.
I was told the same. When I applied I was told there were two vacancies (that has now increased to about 7 trainees and the same qualified drivers), so naturally didn’t think I stood a chance (especially being external) It seems our depot has a need for an increased establishment. ;)

A friend of mine has been in the talent pool for Reading since since about January 2019 (we applied at the same time), but he’s since hit a trainee job at SWR where he worked anyway. It really can go either way. No matter which TOC or FOC we are talking about (Freightliner being another example if you look at that thread...).

Nonuts

I was told the same. When I applied I was told there were two vacancies (that has now increased to about 7 trainees and the same qualified drivers), so naturally didn’t think I stood a chance (especially being external) It seems our depot has a need for an increased establishment. ;)

A friend of mine has been in the talent pool for Reading since since about January 2019 (we applied at the same time), but he’s since hit a trainee job at SWR where he worked anyway. It really can go either way. No matter which TOC or FOC we are talking about (Freightliner being another example if you look at that thread...).

As memory serves it was you that reassured me that it may not be a long wait. You never know what's coming. SWR where I'm a guard seem to say no driving courses upcoming, next you know there's 12 in driver school!

I completely understand it's disheartening waiting for a call but you guys that are waiting have done all the hard work, and it's cost GWR a significant amount to assess you so be positive that call is coming and I'll cross everything for you all it's soon

Old Chap

Thank you Stigy, Nevergiveup and Nonuts for taking the time to inform and encourage regarding those of us who are waiting. I certainly appreciate it, and I am sure others will.

dan2610

Hi guys,

I've got my DMI tomorrow so hoping all goes well. I've monitored this thread for a while, as well as others on the forum and all have been really helpful!

Any last minute advice would be great, tried posting weeks ago but it wouldn't allow me due to "posting privileges" for some reason.

Stigy

Established Member
As memory serves it was you that reassured me that it may not be a long wait. You never know what's coming. SWR where I'm a guard seem to say no driving courses upcoming, next you know there's 12 in driver school!

I completely understand it's disheartening waiting for a call but you guys that are waiting have done all the hard work, and it's cost GWR a significant amount to assess you so be positive that call is coming and I'll cross everything for you all it's soon
Indeed, that’s how the railway goes. One minute there’s nothing, the next there is mass-recruitment. I remember SWT literally going 10-years without recruiting for trainees, but now it seems to be on and off quite frequently.

Liam00086

Hi guys,

I've got my DMI tomorrow so hoping all goes well. I've monitored this thread for a while, as well as others on the forum and all have been really helpful!

Any last minute advice would be great, tried posting weeks ago but it wouldn't allow me due to "posting privileges" for some reason.
Well done on getting this far already, Do your research on the TOC, and try and prepare for possible questions, most of which are on these forums. Get a good sleep tonight and don’t overthink it. Good luck for tomorrow and let us know how you got on.

Tommy222256

Well done on getting this far already, Do your research on the TOC, and try and prepare for possible questions, most of which are on these forums. Get a good sleep tonight and don’t overthink it. Good luck for tomorrow and let us know how you got on.
I would also say look at non-technical skills and what you think are important in the Railway. These are something they go on about so much with Drivers!!

Stigy

Established Member
I would also say look at non-technical skills and what you think are important in the Railway. These are something they go on about so much with Drivers!!
I second that, good advice. Certainly during training (and beyond), NTS is a massive part of what we’re taught.

dan2610

Thanks for the advice.

Background is in Policing and previously a brief-spell with GWR so I'm hoping that I'd have enough content for the competency based questions, was enough for the MMI anyway.

I've just been trying to brush up on company specific things, stuff that's quite niche and you wouldn't know unless you specifically looked for it. I'm not sure how long it takes to hear back on the results but I'll certainly post to say how I felt it went!

Status
Not open for further replies.