• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommo1097

I have my DMI coming up in 3 weeks for Plymouth. Safe to say the nerves are already kicking in. Starting prep on company history and the general competency based questions I'm sure we're all used to now.

Surprised I've got this far in the process. Looking forward to seeing what the interview will be like as I've heard such a mixed bag of how they go!
is this for trainee drivers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tommo1097

The majority of the questions have already been mentioned on the forum so it’s all useful! Just think similar kind of questions to the MMI plus stuff around why you want to join GWR, what about them in particular so brush up on facts or what makes them different. Then obviously motivations around the role and they want to ensure you have a good understanding of what the role actually involves.
dan is all this for trainees?

Stigy

Established Member
The majority of the questions have already been mentioned on the forum so it’s all useful! Just think similar kind of questions to the MMI plus stuff around why you want to join GWR, what about them in particular so brush up on facts or what makes them different. Then obviously motivations around the role and they want to ensure you have a good understanding of what the role actually involves.
Would also be good to research non-technical skills (NTS) and mention these in conjunction with any relevant questions. They get excited about NTS in Trainee Drivers :E

Kae

Excellent stuff mate! Thanks and good luck for the future!

Stigy

Established Member
Stigy can you give an example of nts please
Stuff that you do naturally which doesn’t require training. NTS and TS work hand in hand to reinforce each other. Things such as situational awareness, for example something you do to act upon a safety matter which doesn’t require a technical approach such as reading the road ahead to prepare to adjust your driving technique in your car (To use a simple example)? It doesn’t have to be work related for interviews, as long as you satisfy all the competencies.

Fair mo

Stuff that you do naturally which doesn’t require training. NTS and TS work hand in hand to reinforce each other. Things such as situational awareness, for example something you do to act upon a safety matter which doesn’t require a technical approach such as reading the road ahead to prepare to adjust your driving technique in your car (To use a simple example)? It doesn’t have to be work related for interviews, as long as you satisfy all the competencies.
Many thanks

G30RG3

Hi Guys apologies to jump in here but only just found this thread.

I received an email today saying I will be contacted in due course for a DMI with GWR.

I'm in a talent pool for Plymouth and sat my stage 1,2, + MMI last week. Seems like there's some demand for this depot so let's see what happens...

Any guidance on the DMI process would be extremely helpful!

wmg75

I had my DMI for Exeter last week and was informed yesterday that I was unsuccessful on this occasion! to say that I'm disappointed would be a major understatement!!! But I was told at the interview that GWR had no more courses booked before spring 2021!

So now I have to wait another 6 months before trying again! just hope more vacancies will come up in 6 months time!!! best of luck to everyone else!

dan2610

I had my DMI for Exeter last week and was informed yesterday that I was unsuccessful on this occasion! to say that I'm disappointed would be a major understatement!!! But I was told at the interview that GWR had no more courses booked before spring 2021!

So now I have to wait another 6 months before trying again! just hope more vacancies will come up in 6 months time!!! best of luck to everyone else!

Sorry to hear that. Make sure you chase them up for feedback regardless of if you have an area in your mind of what might not have gone so well.

I was told a similar thing regarding courses, however they said they’re often not made aware of course dates until relatively soon before the candidates are, so always possible that things will pop up.

Nonuts

SWR are advertising for Yeovil. It's just over an hour from Exeter but could be worth a punt seeing as you've passed the assessments

dan2610

Well done guys. I’m for a different depot but were potential training dates mentioned? I was told during my DMI that there were currently no dates planned before Spring 2021.

I’m not sure if they meant for my depot or for GWR in general.

Carrie-Cole

Well done guys. I’m for a different depot but were potential training dates mentioned? I was told during my DMI that there were currently no dates planned before Spring 2021.

I was just told that they need twelve people for training but currently they don’t know when training will be

dan2610

I was just told that they need twelve people for training but currently they don’t know when training will be

Fair enough. I wasn’t given numbers, I just hoped that Spring 2021 dates would be in relation to my depot, could be a pretty long wait if it’s Spring 2021 for any depots at all.

Smith3712

Congrats to everyone on their successful DMI and being entered into the talent pool!

Is anyone else still waiting on an invite to DMI at Plymouth?

I still haven't received any updates and got the standard response from HR that they are still waiting on dates :'(

jezzer34

no training date mentioned. im not expecting anything any time soon. anything before 2021 would be a pleasant surprise imo.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Can you apply/be in 2 different talent pools for different locations at the same time?
not normally. When i was a Guard I waited six months in a talent pool for a depot where I was not based and didn't reapply when a talent pool vacancy came up at my depot (the depot I had passed for had frequent trainee intakes as opposed to the depot I was at where trainees were almost unheard of) however there were vacancies at my depot that were filled so I should have tried there. Instead I didn't want to wait any longer and got my key elsewhere

PaulBusDriver

Can you apply/be in 2 different talent pools for different locations at the same time?
I asked GWR recruitment by email and got told it was fine, feel free to apply for as many as I liked as it wouldn't affect my talent pool place.

I'm not sure if this would be the case in practice but seems ok in theory

DWR

Congrats to everyone on their successful DMI and being entered into the talent pool!

Is anyone else still waiting on an invite to DMI at Plymouth?

I still haven't received any updates and got the standard response from HR that they are still waiting on dates :'(
Yep, I'm in the same position, Smith3712.

Carrie-Cole

What depot are you applying for?

Status
Not open for further replies.