• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl98k

I was told that this is the new business model. You only have to look on the website, they’re recruiting for qualified drivers. This saves them money in training costs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Traindriver40

The South West would come under "West" unfortunatel
I was told that this is the new business model. You only have to look on the website, they’re recruiting for qualified drivers. This saves them money in training costs.
Agree with the saving money but they have been recruiting for qualified on the website for the last 3 years nothing has changed in that respect.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
There's a lot of qualified drivers waiting for start dates at various depots.

It would be a very dramatic development if turns out to be true.

It wouldn't surprise me if trainee courses saw a slow down but none till 2025 even to me seems a bit unlikely

Carl98k

Agree with the saving money but they have been recruiting for qualified on the website for the last 3 years nothing has changed in that respect.
Exactly, if they can back fill positions with qualified drivers then they won’t need as many trainees. Who knows about the time frames though.

PlexiDriver

What happens if your training centre (I assume Reading) is like a 2 hour trip from where you're starting?

Nonuts

What happens if your training centre (I assume Reading) is like a 2 hour trip from where you're starting?
We were put in hotels because our travel time was 2hr 40m from our depot. Not sure how long the cut off is. Far as I know you can claim travelling time

We were put in hotels because our travel time was 2hr 40m from our depot. Not sure how long the cut off is. Far as I know you can claim travelling time
Just checked and you qualify for hotels if the journey is over 1 1/2 hours

Jaytrains

Well done Jay :D:D How long from your DMI/MMI to getting *that* phone call? All the best mate

Thank youuu! And i passed my mmi in September 2019 then got offered a dmi date in December 2020

Got the email saying i passed in January 2021

Got the phone call in march 2022

Oldnewbie

Thank youuu! And i passed my mmi in September 2019 then got offered a dmi date in December 2020

Got the email saying i passed in January 2021

Got the phone call in march 2022
Thanks mate. Railway recruitment is only slightly slower than astronaut training!!

Jaytrains

Thanks. Long time getting there but it's definitely worth it. Hopefully your training is significantly quicker having waited so long to get to it. If you need any help during the course I'm happy to help if I can

Thanks allot I definitely will at some point and the recruitment manager did mention that the training for HEX aint as long as mainline GWR

BoTheRigger

Unfortunately not. I've been waiting on movements for trainee courses since 2019. Any update on these? The talent pool is getting cold and my skin is wrinkly.

WombleGuard

I'm in the pool having passed everything during the first half of this year. (internal).

Was told at DMI courses will run from January. Of course this is the railway so that may change one way or the other

Nonuts

I'm in the pool having passed everything during the first half of this year. (internal).

Was told at DMI courses will run from January. Of course this is the railway so that may change one way or the other
One of our DI's had an upskill course recently and the training manager said that they're expecting trainee classes approx end of year/ beginning of next. So it sounds like it's accurate

Last edited:

WombleGuard

One of our DI's had an unskilled course recently and the training manager said that they're expecting trainee classes approx end of year/ beginning of next. So it sounds like it's accurate
Cheers Nonuts, this would be terrific.

Danetime

Just to add as well. I’ve just finished rules and I believe we were the last main line group (certainly for the southwest) to do the old style program. From my understanding a new style course that’s more tablet based.

The last I heard they were planning to run a pilot class in November not sure if that’s Reading or SPM.

WombleGuard

Just to add as well. I’ve just finished rules and I believe we were the last main line group (certainly for the southwest) to do the old style program. From my understanding a new style course that’s more tablet based.

The last I heard they were planning to run a pilot class in November not sure if that’s Reading or SPM.
Thanks. What's SPM please?

Status
Not open for further replies.