• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mr Oli

Hi everyone. Just received the best call - start date for November at Bristol TM - pending medical.

This comes after being in the talent pool for 3 years to the month - and also receiving an email from HR a couple of months ago to say there is little to no recruitment planned at the depot, so I'd all but given up hope.

It sounds as if this will be as part of the new training program - I.e. It is an apprenticeship and the early part of the course is online.

WombleGuard

Hi everyone. Just received the best call - start date for November at Bristol TM - pending medical.

This comes after being in the talent pool for 3 years to the month - and also receiving an email from HR a couple of months ago to say there is little to no recruitment planned at the depot, so I'd all but given up hope.

It sounds as if this will be as part of the new training program - I.e. It is an apprenticeship and the early part of the course is online.
Congratulations

Melancholia

Well done bud!

This has certainly brough back some hope for me, as I am waiting patiently

jacey

Brilliant news congratulations this will give many hope!

Liam00086

Congratulations, you will love it.

Oldnewbie

Hello everyone. Well, yesterday (Thursday) was the day I got the phone call that'll (hopefully in time and apologies for being dramatic!) change my life. I've been offered a TTD course starting December 2022 for Paddington (pending a medical). Goes without saying, I'm over the moon.

For those interested in timelines, I applied and did online assessments March 2020, initial Zoom interview April 2021, DMI interview May 2021, in October 2021 I had to resit *ALL* assessments because my competencies had lapsed having taken them for my current TOC shunt driving role in 2016, MMI interview November 2021. So, by the time I start later this year I'll have been in the talent pool for about 12 months.

I know the wait once in the TP is horrible but all I would say is you've passed, you haven't been forgotten and they'll get to you eventually!

Sorry for rambling, stay well and I wish you all all the best :lol:

387star

On Moderation
Hello everyone. Well, yesterday (Thursday) was the day I got the phone call that'll (hopefully in time and apologies for being dramatic!) change my life. I've been offered a TTD course starting December 2022 for Paddington (pending a medical). Goes without saying, I'm over the moon.

For those interested in timelines, I applied and did online assessments March 2020, initial Zoom interview April 2021, DMI interview May 2021, in October 2021 I had to resit *ALL* assessments because my competencies had lapsed having taken them for my current TOC shunt driving role in 2016, MMI interview November 2021. So, by the time I start later this year I'll have been in the talent pool for about 12 months.

I know the wait once in the TP is horrible but all I would say is you've passed, you haven't been forgotten and they'll get to you eventually!

Sorry for rambling, stay well and I wish you all all the best :lol:
Congratulations

kernow26

Some positive news then, good to hear. It shows how quickly things can change in terms of planning too. I appreciate the updates from people regarding what they've heard, but it does show that you never know what's around the corner!

I've been in my talent pool since January 2020, and I am one of very few externals in the pool (so I've been told), so I'm bottom of the pile apparently. I'm hoping it comes around before my results expire, so news of more courses can only be a positive.

officewalla

Was chatting with a Reading TM a couple of days ago and they said that there is a course of 8 (4 x pad and 4 x Reading) starting in November on the apprenticeship course. All internals.

Judgedools

Hi there I am sure someone has asked the question before but I can not find an answer to it. Has anyone had their time run out in a trainee driver talent pool? I have been waiting now for coming up to three years. It will be a shame if my time runs out after working so hard to get into a pool but hey that's life I suppose.

WombleGuard

Hi there I am sure someone has asked the question before but I can not find an answer to it. Has anyone had their time run out in a trainee driver talent pool? I have been waiting now for coming up to three years. It will be a shame if my time runs out after working so hard to get into a pool but hey that's life I suppose.
What depot?

Kae

Yeh unfortunately it normally runs out around the 3 year mark. You’ve done well to get this far so I’m sure you’ll be fine when you apply for another TOC.

Nonuts

Yeh unfortunately it normally runs out around the 3 year mark. You’ve done well to get this far so I’m sure you’ll be fine when you apply for another TOC.
GWR accept the assessment results for the standard 5 years. SWR only 3.

Judgedools

I was wondering really if the Toc tells you you're out of time etc. As in the interview I did ask the chances of being offered a job and the answer given was 'up until now anyone who's been in a talent pool has been offered a job' right before covid hit.

Nonuts

They'll have a record of when you passed as it's obviously a requirement. Whether they tell you when your assessments are about to expire or not I'm not sure. Best thing is monitor it yourself and, hopefully not, but if you're approaching five years contact HR and let them know. I can't be certain but as the DFT want Sundays in the working week (currently they're not) I'd think that will require more drivers going forward to keep the average 4 day, 35hr week. I think that was part of the reason for the 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21 talent pool recruitment drives but obviously Covid got in the way of training and the fluidity of new drivers coming through and the guys who've done thier time retiring to the pub

davefredtanner

Thought I would start a fresh thread for all of us going through the process for various depots for 2019/20.
I’m in the talent pool for Exeter St David’s after passing my DMI on 11th April.

Moderator Note: I have expanded this to now include any drivers in the talent pool, regardless of date (currently including 2021).
How do I get a DMI?

I’m looking for a new career?
Dave

irish_rail

Established Member
Anybody happen to know if Sundays are likely to come into the working week with the current negotiations?
Unlikely as that is what staff want, but it would cost too much money in higher staff numbers. They instead want to force staff to work Sunday as overtime (as if we are not all fatigued enough!)

Nonuts

Unlikely as that is what staff want, but it would cost too much money in higher staff numbers. They instead want to force staff to work Sunday as overtime (as if we are not all fatigued enough!)
Last I heard the DFT wanted us to give them our Sundays are part of the pay negotiation. Aslef see it as a separate negotiation as Sundays outside is a term and condition we can sell anytime, historically Sundays have been worth a £4-5k increase when sold so should be a separate pay talk. See what happens but I was given to understand that was the stand point

Kae

I was wondering really if the Toc tells you you're out of time etc. As in the interview I did ask the chances of being offered a job and the answer given was 'up until now anyone who's been in a talent pool has been offered a job' right before covid hit.
I doubt they will notify you when your results expire as that is time consuming for the TOC. Like i said in my previous post, your best bet is to do the tests all over again once a new vacancy arises wether its with GWR or another TOC. You’ve passed it once so it shouldn’t be a problem doing it all over again. Just keep an eye out for new vacancies.

How do I get a DMI?

I’m looking for a new career?
Dave
Play the lottery? Or try looking on Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.