• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldfish

That's good news about the weight :) I have (incredibly mild) asthma but I literally only take my inhaler for about 2 weeks of the year in summer when it gets stupidly hot and there's no air. Was concerned it might set alarm bells ringing when I told them but not worried now, thanks! Any tips for the training? Is it just as rigorous as the recruitment tests? What's the pass rate like?
Pretty sure their target bmi is 28 ?

Yep the recruitment process is a picnic compared to the training imho... be prepared to put life on hold and for some proper hard work once it starts

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James71

Would you be rejected for a poor BMI? Even though you have no issues moving or anything like that. You're just overweight?

Stigy

Established Member

Yep the recruitment process is a picnic compared to the training imho... be prepared to put life on hold and for some proper hard work once it starts
GWR’s “cut off” for BMI is 33 I believe, but that’s not an automatic “no”, and it’s still down to discretion of the Quack.

Would you be rejected for a poor BMI? Even though you have no issues moving or anything like that. You're just overweight?
More than likely not, as long as you can demonstrate you’re in general okay fitness and can move. He made me lie down and he bent my legs a bit (I assume to gauge movement etc). BMI alone should never be an automatic refusal in my opinion, as it’s about mass, and muscle mass weighs more than fat for example.

Can put life on hold no problem (this year's been great training in that regard)! I was wondering more about the rules & regulations, how are you tested before moving onto the next module etc?

Stigy

Established Member
Can put life on hold no problem (this year's been great training in that regard)! I was wondering more about the rules & regulations, how are you tested before moving onto the next module etc?
Yeah I echo what @TheGoldfish has said. The recruitment process is nothing compared to the actual training. You’ll have good days and bad days, but the assessments are relentless. There’s only a few with actual pass/fail though, and even they’ve changed now I believe (in that there’s no fixed percentage, but areas for development). When I was on my course all tests had a pass rate of 91%, although unless they were major assessments, if you fell below that you’d just be re briefed.

I passed out yesterday, and although after the classroom training it slows down a bit, you’re still assessed every step of the way. I’m so glad it’s over (although in the first few years you’ll still be assessed frequently to monitor you) :D

TheGoldfish

As above .. not necessarily strict pass fail marks .. though we’ve been told they expect 100% or very close to every time.

You’ll cover the various modules in the classroom and then have to sit written assessments on the individual subjects as you go through the course. There’s a lot of onus on yourself to learn the stuff properly working through it your own time to understand it properly. You’ll do sometimes 3 or 4 assessments in a week whilst also learning new stuff which you’ll be assessed on the following week. So there’s plenty of homework to keep you busy in the evenings too.

Talking to many established drivers and they all say the same thing ... their glad they didn’t go through what trainees have to now to get qualified ..!

Yeah I echo what @TheGoldfish has said. The recruitment process is nothing compared to the actual training. You’ll have good days and bad days, but the assessments are relentless. There’s only a few with actual pass/fail though, and even they’ve changed now I believe (in that there’s no fixed percentage, but areas for development). When I was on my course all tests had a pass rate of 91%, although unless they were major assessments, if you fell below that you’d just be re briefed.

I passed out yesterday, and although after the classroom training it slows down a bit, you’re still assessed every step of the way. I’m so glad it’s over (although in the first few years you’ll still be assessed frequently to monitor you) :D
Ok good good, this sounds pretty much what I was expecting :) Hey congratulations on passing out! I imagine you're thrilled! Hard work but it's clearly paid off ;)

As above .. not necessarily strict pass fail marks .. though we’ve been told they expect 100% or very close to every time.

You’ll cover the various modules in the classroom and then have to sit written assessments on the individual subjects as you go through the course. There’s a lot of onus on yourself to learn the stuff properly working through it your own time to understand it properly. You’ll do sometimes 3 or 4 assessments in a week whilst also learning new stuff which you’ll be assessed on the following week. So there’s plenty of homework to keep you busy in the evenings too.

Talking to many established drivers and they all say the same thing ... their glad they didn’t go through what trainees have to now to get qualified ..!
Haha, sounds like University all over again (minus the social life); classroom based and then lots of hours of independent study! Plus juggling different topics and modules, remembering which essay/exam they're relevant to :D Cheers for all your advice TheGoldfish, much appreciated! Roll on March :)

Last edited:

dctraindriver

Congrats on passing out. Know it’s been a long slog. At least you have got that key even though I expect learning roads will take a while.

Stigy

Established Member
Ok good good, this sounds pretty much what I was expecting :) Hey congratulations on passing out! I imagine you're thrilled! Hard work but it's clearly paid off ;)

Thanks, it’s certainly a big weight off :D

Congrats on passing out. Know it’s been a long slog. At least you have got that key even though I expect learning roads will take a while.
Thanks. Yeah it’s been a longtime coming! I have been route assessed on my core routes during passout so can drive them straight away (I say “routes” I mean “route” :D). The other routes I’m not even thinking about yet :).

Lee70

Thanks, it’s certainly a big weight off :D

Thanks. Yeah it’s been a longtime coming! I have been route assessed on my core routes during passout so can drive them straight away (I say “routes” I mean “route” :D). The other routes I’m not even thinking about yet :).
Hi. When on training, do you get holiday or term time?

Stigy

Established Member
Hi. When on training, do you get holiday or term time?
You’ll get annual leave allocated to your whole group at the same time. This way you take the leave that is required for the year, and training won’t be disrupted. There’s usually two of the four weeks you’ll get during training and this will be pencilled in on your training planner. Having said that, with on going COVID issues, I guess all this is subject to alteration.

Lee70

Thanks for that. I was optimistically thinking might get the call Easter/spring time. Now with another lockdown looming it probably won’t be until autumn.

Cowcow15

Anyone heard anything yet from GWR?
I sent them an emailed them back in september (im in the 20/21 exeter talent pool) and the below was the response i received. Understandable really what with everything going on at the moment. I dont think things will start moving until at least the end of this year.

"You are still on reserve for this vacancy however, we do not have any update on progress.

It is difficult to predict any kind of time frames but be assured still have your information ready to resume."

Nonuts

I sent them an emailed them back in september (im in the 20/21 exeter talent pool) and the below was the response i received. Understandable really what with everything going on at the moment. I dont think things will start moving until at least the end of this year.

"You are still on reserve for this vacancy however, we do not have any update on progress.

It is difficult to predict any kind of time frames but be assured still have your information ready to resume."
I've never seen anyone post that particular response from GWR. Usually the generic 'We are still in the process of completing the talent pool and will be in contact....'

They're still advertising for qualified drivers on both the external and internal careers pages for Exeter and in your position I'd take that as a positive

Cowcow15

I've never seen anyone post that particular response from GWR. Usually the generic 'We are still in the process of completing the talent pool and will be in contact....'

They're still advertising for qualified drivers on both the external and internal careers pages for Exeter and in your position I'd take that as a positive
Thanks nonuts, i wasnt too sure what to make of it other than they are working through things and will contact me in due course. Just got to sit tight and wait for the magic phone call to come!

genziu8181

Hi all. I just got an email about getting into talent pool for a Plymouth. Now is the waiting time and in the meantime I would like to say big THANKS to everyone in this group for sharing an info, supporting each other, sharing the knowledge. You are all amazing

ReginaldP

Hi all. I just got an email about getting into talent pool for a Plymouth. Now is the waiting time and in the meantime I would like to say big THANKS to everyone in this group for sharing an info, supporting each other, sharing the knowledge. You are all amazing
Congrats

Smith3712

Congrats! I bet you're thrilled!
Is this for the 19/20 pool? Also when did you have your DMI? Hopefully you weren't waiting to find out for too long!
Sounds like the pool is starting to get full though which is good.

Nonuts

Congratulations.

DWR

Good start to the year. Well done.

genziu8181

Congrats! I bet you're thrilled!
Is this for the 19/20 pool? Also when did you have your DMI? Hopefully you weren't waiting to find out for too long!
Sounds like the pool is starting to get full though which is good.
Hi. I had first invitation to DMI in November however I've missed it so got re invited end of December. It's for 2019/20 pool

Nonuts

Hi. I had first invitation to DMI in November however I've missed it so got re invited end of December. It's for 2019/20 pool
Wow, this highlights the various speeds railway recruitment goes at. I applied for the same pool Dec 18, Dmi July 19, course started Feb 20. There's people on my course who applied in April 19. Mind you, it's all Bristol, Westbury and Fratton on my course. We're all on pause having passed rules awaiting foundation traction. I hope your wait is not long for a course.

genziu8181

Wow, this highlights the various speeds railway recruitment goes at. I applied for the same pool Dec 18, Dmi July 19, course started Feb 20. There's people on my course who applied in April 19. Mind you, it's all Bristol, Westbury and Fratton on my course. We're all on pause having passed rules awaiting foundation traction. I hope your wait is not long for a course.
Well... Technically I have applied April 2019...
Time line was : first stage October 2019, Second Stage and MMI Jan 2020, DMI invitation Nov 2020(missed invitation) re invited Dec 2020... Confirmation 2 weeks later Jan 2021... Now just waiting time

Jaytrains

Finally received my dmi results and yess i passed!!

I was actually down for reading but recruiting put me through for Paddington now its just a waiting game i guess

Recruitment***

Last edited:

dabollicks

I was actually down for reading but recruiting put me through for Paddington now its just a waiting game i guess

Recruitment***
Congratulations! 14 months and counting since passing psychometrics and MMI waiting for a DMI date, hoping an email pops up soon

Liam00086

Recruitment***
Well done mate, hopefully won’t be long before the offer comes through.

Status
Not open for further replies.