• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Harry Potter fans fuming after oncoming train blocks Hogwarts Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Harry Potter fans fuming after oncoming train blocks Hogwarts Express at Scots station

Fans had queued for hours at Drumry Train Station, Dunbartonshire yesterday to get a glimpse of the of famous locomotive.

Harry Potter fans were left fuming after their view of the Hogwarts Express was blocked by an oncoming train at a Scots station.

Fans had queued for hours at Drumry Train Station, Dunbartonshire yesterday to get a glimpse of the of famous locomotive only for a Scotrail train to block their view.

The Potter fanatics, including young children, were disappointed when the 4.12pm train to Dalmuir completely obscured their views of the distinct steam train.

Just seen this in the news, it's been picked up by several outlets including Sky News.

I kind of think well tough the railways are there not for the benefit of trainspotters they are there to provide transport.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I thought 62005 was simply one of the locos for The Jacobite, but the film used a GWR Hall?

jfowkes

Who actually owns the "Hogwarts Express" name, if anyone? Can any heritage railway just slap a "Hogwarts Express" nameplate on a random steam engine?

Energy

Established Member
Who actually owns the "Hogwarts Express" name, if anyone? Can any heritage railway just slap a "Hogwarts Express" nameplate on a random steam engine?
Likely whoever owns the rights to the story.

Journeyman

Established Member

I suspect Warner Brothers for the films, and Bloomsbury Publishing for the books. Several heritage railways would like to run official Harry Potter events, but they can't licence the name, at least not affordably. Hence "Wizard Weeks" on some railways, the closest you can get without infringing copyright.

6Gman

Established Member
Just seen this in the news, it's been picked up by several outlets including Sky News.

I kind of think well tough the railways are there not for the benefit of trainspotters they are there to provide transport.

(coughs)

Not trainspotters.

Presumably Harry Potter fans.

Though the connection is pretty tenuous. Basically it would appear that any steam loco that crosses the Glenfinnan Viaduct becomes an instant celebrity.

HarryL

I believe a number of railways have run the Olton Hall locomotive (the one used in the movies) for unofficial fan reasons but usually put a generic "Wizard Express" name on it instead.

SeanG

I'm sure we can all relate, having been bowled by a unit of some kind over the years.

But of a nothing story as can be expected from a newspaper owned by the mirror group

Established Member

My reaction to the film clip was to laugh. Not sure what that says about me as a person :D

PudseyBearHST

Silly people. The best place to see and photograph the Hogwarts Express is Kings Cross. That is, of course, if you can get onto the platform <:D
“yeh a wizard Pudsey”

Journeyman

Established Member
Yes, but the Jacobite attracts HP fans (such as my adult daughter and her friends!).

When I rode it a few years ago, it was full of Japanese girls who practically had an orgasm when it went over the viaduct.

thenorthern

Established Member
(coughs)

Not trainspotters.

Though the connection is pretty tenuous. Basically it would appear that any steam loco that crosses the Glenfinnan Viaduct becomes an instant celebrity.

They are "Trainspotters" in the sense they are trying to spot a train. :D

I'm sure we can all relate, having been bowled by a unit of some kind over the years.

But of a nothing story as can be expected from a newspaper owned by the mirror group

Sky News picked it up as well.

pieguyrob

Oh dear, how rude of Scotrail to operate a railway service! They should hang their heads in shame. ( Can't wait for someone to invent texts that do sarcasm.)

thenorthern

Established Member
Things like this happen all the time, a lot of photographers object to catenary put in as it spoils the view of steam specials.

The answer though is tough, the railways are there for the passengers not the enthusiasts.

squizzler

Established Member
I thought the whole point of the hog warts express is that it is magically shielded from the eyes of “muggles”. So they got an authentic experience.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member

I suspect Warner Brothers for the films, and Bloomsbury Publishing for the books. Several heritage railways would like to run official Harry Potter events, but they can't licence the name, at least not affordably. Hence "Wizard Weeks" on some railways, the closest you can get without infringing copyright.

(coughs)

Not trainspotters.

The railway heritage industry and trainspotters are missing a trick here. The easy way to fill up empty spaces on your charter exploring the abandoned freight lines of North London is surely to advertise it as a trip for Barry Spotter and his friends.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The railway heritage industry and trainspotters are missing a trick here. The easy way to fill up empty spaces on your charter exploring the abandoned freight lines of North London is surely to advertise it as a trip for Barry Spotter and his friends.

Some Heritage railways run "Witches and Wizards" evenings, with suspiciously similar font....

On Moderation
Because normal human beings who aren't obsessed with the minutiae of headcodes and train timings are going to use an obscure website unknown to those outside the hobby and industry….
If you ask the site owner, he’d probably tell you that it gets far more use from “normals” than anything else.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If you ask the site owner, he’d probably tell you that it gets far more use from “normals” than anything else.

Typically the savvy commuter type looking up their platform at Euston.

Status
Not open for further replies.