• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has Anyone Ever Traveled From Sheffield Victoria Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a long shot since Vicky closed in 1970 but there was the Sheffield Midland - Huddersfield service that went though the station until 1983

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Unfortunately Sheffield Vic was a bit before my time. The only closed stations I've used are, Woodside, Addiscombe, Dover Western Docks, Folkestone Harbour and Newhaven Marine. Oh, and i've travelled the Oldham Loop as well now of course.

4SRKT

Established Member
I've travelled through the remains on a Sheffield Midland - Huddersfield service a long, long time ago. Can't remember much about it though.

Oswyntail

Established Member
No detailed memory, but I did travel through in 1964. I had been staying with Grandma near Grimsby and travelled back to meet Dad in Manchester en route to Preston. I was put on a train at Haborough and allowed to change trains by myself onto the Woodhead train at Sheffield. 27006 as I recall. The highlight for me was not (sadly) Vic but the Woodhead stretch itself, as we often passed it on the summer holiday journey eastward. And I still think of the other station as Sheffield Midland

4SRKT

Established Member
And I still think of the other station as Sheffield Midland

Lot's of us do. It's a way separating the [old] men from the boys. Another way of telling is when people have to mentally translate the old platform numbers (last used 1989) at York station to the new ones when talking to other people.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Lot's of us do. It's a way separating the [old] men from the boys. Another way of telling is when people have to mentally translate the old platform numbers (last used 1989) at York station to the new ones when talking to other people.

The more modern renumbering of platforms is that of Leeds. I find the easy answer to it is to listen to the announcements or look at the screen and subtract three from the platform number quoted to know where to go for my train!

GeorgeinSutton

Between 1952 and 1959 I travelled perhaps three times a year from Victoria to Manchester and thence often by bus to Blackburn to see my grandparents. It was exciting going through the Woodhead Tunnel. I also remember going to Manchester by bus and seeing the electric trains operating as the buw route follwed much the same path.

I am currently trying to find out as much as I can with the intention of developping a 00 gauge model of both Sheffield stations - if I can get hold of one of the electric models ( I am told Triang did one!).

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The more modern renumbering of platforms is that of Leeds. I find the easy answer to it is to listen to the announcements or look at the screen and subtract three from the platform number quoted to know where to go for my train!

Why:?:

Status
Not open for further replies.