• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has there ever been multiple working on the Underground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Several posts on the Island Line 484 thread suggest that the new D-trains for the Isle of Wight will be capable of multiple working. Which got me thinking, have units ever worked in multiple on the Underground?

My definition of multiple working is two units that theoretically could operate independently with no or few modifications, forming the same train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Several posts on the Island Line 484 thread suggest that the new D-trains for the Isle of Wight will be capable of multiple working. Which got me thinking, have units ever worked in multiple on the Underground?

My definition of multiple working is two units that theoretically could operate independently with no or few modifications, forming the same train.

Yes. Something like A stock, 67 stock, 83 stock are the closest to this, where every train was formed of two identical units - though subsequent modifications diluted this a little with some units only having a fully operational cab at one end. A stock in particular ran as single units off peak until the 1980s, and still did for the Chesham shuttle and East London Line into the 21st century.

By contrast something like a 95 or 96 stock cannot work in multiple. There is no facility to couple two trains and run them as one, though it can be done in very degraded circumstances only with extra staff and at reduced speed.

Dstock7080

Established Member
D Stock worked on the East London Line as single 3-car trains, when returned to the District Line for routine maintenance they would operate again as 6-car trains.

Acc3lerat1on

Not quite two units but 72 stock in the Bakerloo are 2 units together but with one cab coach removed to create a 7 car unit.

apk55

A lot of units like the 83 stock were built as half units with a cab only at one end althoug some full units with a cab at both ends were also built and these could run as a 3 car unit.
At the other end of a half unit was a mini controller that could used for shunting or emergency use. However it would have full coupler that could couple up to a full unit (with two cabs) or another half unit.

etr221

Up to and including the 1992 tube stock (so not the 1995, 1996, 2009 tube stock, and S stock) virtually all 'full length' London Underground trains were splittable into separate 2, 3 or 4 car units, which normally worked in multiple (to make 6-8 car 'full length' trains), but which could be uncoupled, and - provided that they had an operational cab at each end - worked separately (as short trains); otherwise such units were - on their own - restricted to shunting manouvres, within depots. and to attach to 'short' trains in stations. Up until the mid 1970s the Underground had a practice termed 'uncoupling' - shortening trains outside peak periods, by detaching units. Exception were the 9-car trains used on the Northern line, where each car had a special position in the 9.

In the earliest days it must remembered that stock was all essentially individual cars, coupled to form trains as required. Then there was a move to semi-permanent units, with cabs at each end: on the tube lines standard unit from the 1910s to c1930 was an M-CT (motor & control trailer), generally with an intermediate trailer, forming long, six car, trains M-T-CT+CT-T-M which would be split to forma three car units off peak; or sometimes with two car (M-CT) units for off peak. Eventually, with the standard stock from c1930, seven car trains M-T-T-M+CT-T-M were formed - I think it was unusual for the three car units to work on their own. And different lines had different formations & practices.
Subsequent stock was formed into much more permanent units. The 1935 (prototype) stock was formed in M-M pairs; the earlier 1938 stock was (normally) M-NDM (non-driving motor)-T-M+M-T-M seven car trains (but AIUI, 6 or 8 car trains could be formed; and again AIUI the normal 'short' train was 4 car, but could have been 3. Later, UNDM (uncoupling NDM - which did have a controller cabinet, for use when shunting) cars wer built, to form UNDM-T-M three units, which could only work coupled to a four unit (M car at each end). Subsequent tube stock - up to the 1983 stock was similarly formed of three or four car units (variously with cabs at one or both ends - and some cabs were later decommissioned), coupled as required, but which could be split (and, with cab at both ends, work separately). The 1986 and 1992 stock came in two car pairs, assembled as required - some of the 1992 pairs did not have a cab, and could only be used in the middle of trains.
Surface stock was similarly uncouplable, but on a more varied basis.

BayPaul

Established Member
73 stock on the Piccadilly often turns up with an extra cab in the middle of the train, as the trains are all technically doubled-up 3 car units, of which 21 of them have cabs at both ends to allow short trains to run. I've never seen 2 cabs together in the middle, presumably as it would create a big gap between doors, as each cab-end loses the single leaf door that would normally be there.

philthetube

Established Member
And of course all trains are occasionally pushed out because of defects, giving trains of up to 16 cars. I am aware that that is not what you are looking for.

AM9

Veteran Member
In my youth, the Central Line (fully equipped for 8-car running), could often be seen splitting and joining four car units at Hainault between the peaks. As a child, it seemed a little violent with the noise of the coupling mating/breaking and the EP venting. I definitely remember it on the 'Standard' stock, but I think it only happened in the depot once the '61 stock came in.

100andthirty

for interest, the 1992 tube stock can run as 4-car sets provided there's a cab at each end. There is the plan which might already have been enacted to reintroduce the Woodford-Hainault shuttle with 4-car trains.
!983 tube stock had a cab at each end of each 3-car unit but was not allowed to run as a 3-car set on the main line as only a single compressor was fitted to each unit.
Trains with a single compressor were not allowed on the main line. Even stock transfers had to have a portable compressor installed. I believe this rule persists to this day. I am not old enough to remember why but guess it stems from the appalling reliability of the rotary compressors originally fitted to 1938 tube stock.

jamesst

And of course all trains are occasionally pushed out because of defects, giving trains of up to 16 cars. I am aware that that is not what you are looking for.

Im sure I remember seeing a video somewhere of 2 jubilee line trains coupled, one pushing a failure. Must of been on YouTube somewhere.

aliceh

Technically not the Underground, but am I right in my vague memory that the 487 Waterloo and City stock was made up of single driving motors and trailers that usually worked in multiple?

Journeyman

Established Member
Technically not the Underground, but am I right in my vague memory that the 487 Waterloo and City stock was made up of single driving motors and trailers that usually worked in multiple?

Yes, the motors had cabs at each end, and at least in theory could run singly, but I don't think they ever did, at least not in later years. They generally ran in five coach formations, motors at either end of three trailers.

Nym

Established Member
Not quite two units but 72 stock in the Bakerloo are 2 units together but with one cab coach removed to create a 7 car unit.
Except it's not a cab car being removed.
The formation for a 3 car unit of 1972TS is Uncoupling Non Driving Motor - Special Trailer - Driving Motor Car.

The special trailer has several key differences to an A or D trailer, which I'm not typing out at this time of night.

philthetube

Established Member
for interest, the 1992 tube stock can run as 4-car sets provided there's a cab at each end. There is the plan which might already have been enacted to reintroduce the Woodford-Hainault shuttle with 4-car trains.
!983 tube stock had a cab at each end of each 3-car unit but was not allowed to run as a 3-car set on the main line as only a single compressor was fitted to each unit.
Trains with a single compressor were not allowed on the main line. Even stock transfers had to have a portable compressor installed. I believe this rule persists to this day. I am not old enough to remember why but guess it stems from the appalling reliability of the rotary compressors originally fitted to 1938 tube stock.
I am intrigued, and I may be totally wrong, but I was under the impression that at some time in the past trains on the Northern used to be split off peak, these were made up of a three and a four car unit and the three would only have one compressor.

I am not old enough to remember this and I don't know if anyone on here is, as I have ne idea about dates and I knot know if this actually happened anyway.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I am intrigued, and I may be totally wrong, but I was under the impression that at some time in the past trains on the Northern used to be split off peak, these were made up of a three and a four car unit and the three would only have one compressor.
Quickly reading Piers Connor “The 1938 Tube Stock” it appears the Northern 3-car ‘38s were fitted with additional compressors, originally to be 88 new but later reduced. 3-car trains were run via-Bank.
The Bakerloo stabled 3-car units off-peak.

Mikey C

Established Member

There's an article about the plan to run 4 car trains on the shuttle here. It's so that the 1992 refurbishment programme can go ahead (though with the reduced passenger number now, they might not need to bother!)

Taunton

Established Member
I seem to recall that the first D stock trains delivered were the double cab units, which thus operated as 2x3-car until the others without the intermediate cab came along. Sounds the closest to what the originator was asking.

Journeyman

Established Member
I seem to recall that the first D stock trains delivered were the double cab units, which thus operated as 2x3-car until the others without the intermediate cab came along. Sounds the closest to what the originator was asking.

Those were still pairs of units, though, just without cabs in the middle. You'd often see a cab connected to a non-cab in the middle of trains.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Those were still pairs of units, though, just without cabs in the middle. You'd often see a cab connected to a non-cab in the middle of trains.
Yes, definitely the double-enders were delivered first, with two cabs in middle.
Once OPO came in these were rarer, as a double-ender+double-ender was some 18" longer, so berthing at terminal stations misaligned the platform based OPO monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.