• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you ever been mistaken for rail staff, or helped those less familiar with the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
At Blackfriars in late 2019 when I was getting off after travelling from Kings Cross, I saw a family look like they were about to board a Thameslink train to "Gatwick Airport" with luggage. I asked them which they said they were and I advised them to wait for the Brighton train in 3 mins, as the one on the platform was the stopping service via Redhill and waiting would save them around 30 minutes. Have mentioned this a few times since to people with luggage in the core. Was off-duty but seemed a pretty easy thing to do!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stut

Established Member
At Blackfriars in late 2019 when I was getting off after travelling from Kings Cross, I saw a family look like they were about to board a Thameslink train to "Gatwick Airport" with luggage. I asked them which they said they were and I advised them to wait for the Brighton train in 3 mins, as the one on the platform was the stopping service via Redhill and waiting would save them around 30 minutes. Have mentioned this a few times since to people with luggage in the core. Was off-duty but seemed a pretty easy thing to do!

Back in the old Thameslink days, I used to work near Moorgate, and had a habit of having to go into work after an overnight flight into Gatwick. So I'd hop off at Farringdon, and there was often a Moorgate train on the opposite platform, so I'd take that, rather than cram into the Circhampolitan.

I had my luggage with me, and a bleary eyed look, and I'd always be met with a chorus of "IT'S NOT A GATWICK TRAIN" as I entered the carriage. Did appreciate the helpfulness, although there was occasionally someone who refused to believe I was actually going to Moorgate.

Dan17H

Had to point out loads of times on renewals in some of the stations out in the sticks that the station was closed, you'd have though there being no track in the ground halfway through the job might have been a clue.

PTSNEEDED2021

On Moderation
Perhaps your not mistaken for staff but rather you look like you're regular user of trains if you are dressed for work and aren't lumbered with luggage then it's an indicator you might be local or familiar with the area and the service. If you look lost and look like your on holiday you won't be a candidate I'd think would be able to help.
Staff being a rare sight on platforms and stations mean for many a trainspotter type whos been stood there all day is a good guess they'll know what you need to find out.
It does go the other way when a particular well known trainspotter takes it upon himself after reading it on his phone to announce to a whole carriage ''The trains in Birmingham are late and being terminated'' leading to them all asking a bewildered Guard ''is our train late or being terminated early?''.

While I was rail staff for 38 years, but 'plain clothes', office-based, I would be asked directions anywhere and at anytime. I have lost count of the number of times I've been abroad and been asked directions! People claim that I have the demeanour of a policeman, which is why strangers seem to think I can help them. On one memorable occasion I was at a station in up-state New York and witnessed a fare-dodger being thrown off a train there. He wandered over to me (among many others on the platform) and asked how far it was to Yonkers. I pointed down the line to the south and said "it's about 50 miles that way"!

Also shows that even with clear signs on how to open the door, people panic and signs are not noticed.
Equally true when GWR used HSTs (happy days!) and they were pretty common in this part of the world. I would be waiting to alight at Reading from my daily commute, and the person nearest the door (often elderly or an overseas visitor since they often head that way first) wouldn't know what to do, and those trains were well signed too.

Elsewhere on my travels (including abroad) I imagine that I've either got a helpful looking face or look as I know what I'm doing, and have often been asked for directions or confirmation of where the train is going. Happy to help (or at least make an intelligent guess, suitably caveated) if I can.

Last edited:

lttgroup

Multiple locations across former NSE territory!
I used to have it very often when I was regularly volunteering on the Mid Hants, but also more generally. Although my heritage uniforms are circa-1960, my 'regular' clothing all loosely 1920-1960 in style, and as such my attire never bears any substantial relation to that of current railway staff I have often been approached, sometimes even with Railway Staff very close at hand. I once even ended up being issued with a priv rate ticket!!

A memorable instance was at Surbiton on a Saturday evening. I was still in my heritage uniform, with my Guard's bag, BARDIC, cap under my arm. For the whole time that I was there I was being asked the questions instead of the SWR staff member about ten feet away who was in the standard Hi-Vis based uniform. This, and other instances, has often made me wonder whether there's something to be said for railways returning to a more traditionally-styled uniform, albeit with concessions to modern requirements.

Had a few instances at Clapham Junction, both in and out of uniform. One of the ones in uniform a Lady saw me coming out of the subway and stared at me as it she'd seen a ghost (The oil lamp probably didn't help that impression!). Another time, when not in uniform, I saw a member of GTR staff struggling to get a wheelchair ramp out because he didn't have a carriage key; He was somewhat surprised when I wandered over and handed him mine!

Yet another one was at Alton, where SWR connects to the MHR, where an SWR-contracted cleaner asked me if I was an inspector! I've also given directions to replacement bus drivers several times, and at least one of those times I was taken to be staff.

I think one reason why I often get asked questions is the unfortunate way that I conduct myself when on the network, and it's only since being in a relationship that I've noticed this (!!!). When coming into my destination station I will often stand by the door in a not-dissimilar manner to a member of train crew, watching through the window of the door. Then, upon alighting, I'll often stand back and look around the platform as a guard might, then watching the departure before walking off. I hadn't noticed this much myself, but now I realise it can make me look more like staff.

One time, when in uniform, I felt especially guilty for not retaining the mindset of the average passenger. It was a busy Friday night at Clapham Junction, with the platform I was on close to overcrowded and several passengers getting far too close to moving trains, with a curved platform meaning that what staff were there couldn't see the length down to where I was. In my mind I was worried about a fatality occurring so set my BARDIC's filter to red and kept my whistle close at hand, essentially preparing myself to attempt to stop traffic. In the end I realised this was a silly and potentially dangerous mindset, so I removed myself from that situation.

lloydyyj

I work for First Bus, but our hi-vis’ just say ‘First’, so when you’re in the vicinity of a station you often get people asking questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.