• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We actually had an on-board ticket check last Monday, on board the deserted 1911 Crewe to Manchester Pendolino (1740 ex-EUS)

My e-ticket was read and tickets were being issued. A first for me (ever) between Crewe and Manchester!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Travelled TPE and Avanti for a relatively short journey last week, no ticket checks.

Going for a longer trip tomorrow so I’ll keep you updated.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
In the last week or so I've had long distance journeys on all of Avanti, Northern, TPE and LNER and haven't had a single on train ticket check (including 1st class for some journeys)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
We actually had an on-board ticket check last Monday, on board the deserted 1911 Crewe to Manchester Pendolino (1740 ex-EUS)

My e-ticket was read and tickets were being issued. A first for me (ever) between Crewe and Manchester!

Yep testified as I was on the same train along with two other members of this.

Fokx

TPE on-board ticket checks are to resume from Saturday by the revenue protection teams, can’t speak for conductors.

One TPE conductor was checking tickets last week on a Redcar service albeit using his work phone to read smart cards and mobile tickets but unable to issue new tickets or excess fares

Gathursty

Established Member
Not at all apart from at the barriers at Bicester Village, Oxford, Didcot, Swindon, Bristol Temple Meads, Bath Spa, Salisbury, Basingstoke and Southampton Central.

Definitely could have saved money with foresight but can't whinge. Had a great week.

BJames

Established Member
Haven't had my tickets checked on EMR, LNER, Crosscountry or Avanti at all - this includes multiple journeys with EMR and the train manager passing through, as well as local services with them. LNER was first class and no check. None on Thameslink or Great Northern either but can't say I was exactly expecting it. Barriers generally in operation everywhere though.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Not on a train but when i was at Winsford a couple of weeks ago a couple of inspectors came on the platform and asked to see everyone's ticket.

Other than that just when gone through barriers at New Street and Hereford. Most of the journeys i've made since June (30 odd trains) could have been made for free! However i'd never risk it.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
For the first time that i can remember, Newcastle gateline seems to have a railcard lock on as my railcard was additionally inspected this morning.

Seems to be a push for more thorough station checks in lieu of on trains.

james60059

I had a jolly to Crewe last Saturday with LNR and no checks were made, in hindsight I could have done the trip for free but that said, I don't believe in defrauding, I've been brought up to pay my way.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Made a few trips now, and only checks made have been those at gatelines (i.e. by the barriers themselves, or a person if it got rejected)

_toommm_

Established Member
Only been inspected once in the past 5 months on a train; that was at the tail end of lockdown on a XC from Sheffield to Leeds.

Had quite a few checks at York station itself by TPE revenue inspection; both at the station entrance and exit, and immediately after getting off a Scarborough-bound train. It’ll be interesting to see if I get anything on Saturday on TPE.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Not a single ticket check in almost five months. Got checked on a XC service from Leeds to Birmingham about a month ago.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I can confirm that checks have re-started today on TPE.

Also on LNER - and they are checking the reservations as well...

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
What are they checking for regarding reservations?
Presumably that the ticket holder is sitting in the right seat (LNER are reservation only at the moment and they emphasise the importance of sitting in your allocated to seat to allow for social distancing).

That said, I’ve been on 2 LNER services today (Edinburgh - Durham this morning and on the return right now) and not once been checked onboard (tickets were checked at Edinburgh Waverley prior to boarding this morning).

TPE yesterday had no checks heading up to Glasgow, on Avanti from Glasgow - Lockerbie tonight, and I’ve heard they are quite consistent with checking tickets now, but will wait and see what happens.

Chriso

Guard has confirmed will not be walking through train due to social distancing on 16:30 Liv St to Norwich so assume GA are still not conducting any on board checks

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
What are they checking for regarding reservations?

As Huntergreed said, yes it's a) to ensure those on board do have a reservation and b) to make sure they are all in their correct seats.

On TPE it seems to be just a normal ticket check; there's too many passengers to stand any chance of enforcing the "red and green" label seats. Indeed, yesterday ( i.e. the day before checks were re-instated ) there was one train where they couldn't have checked anyway as it was full and standing.

Edited 28/03/21 for a typo that only became apparent when someone quoted the post...!!! :oops:

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
No ticket checks on trains so far, however yesterday I got off at Freshfield railway station, there were at least 12 revenues protection staff on both platforms and 3 BTP officers checking passengers entering and leaving the station, saw some getting penalty fares and what looked like 2 x 10 year old lads having their details taken presumably so their parents can pay the fines.

The beach was very busy and looked like a spanish beach, whereas I spent more time exploring the much quieter forest.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Presumably that the ticket holder is sitting in the right seat (LNER are reservation only at the moment and they emphasise the importance of sitting in your allocated to seat to allow for social distancing).

That said, I’ve been on 2 LNER services today (Edinburgh - Durham this morning and on the return right now) and not once been checked onboard (tickets were checked at Edinburgh Waverley prior to boarding this morning).

TPE yesterday had no checks heading up to Glasgow, on Avanti from Glasgow - Lockerbie tonight, and I’ve heard they are quite consistent with checking tickets now, but will wait and see what happens.

I took 1330 LNER yesterday , no check prior to boarding at Edinburgh nor onboard despite the guard repeating about leaving ticket on table for checking. The seat reservation displays have been switched off to , so you cant see what seats are free.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I took 1330 LNER yesterday , no check prior to boarding at Edinburgh nor onboard despite the guard repeating about leaving ticket on table for checking. The seat reservation displays have been switched off to , so you cant see what seats are free.

About 20% of the trains I used over the past week did have the reservation displays on.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My LNER Guard today turned off the reservations from Newcastle (the previous Guard had the on) to avoid people sitting in quiet areas of the train. We were told we must stick with the same seat; therefore some people were forced to sit 1m apart when they could have had a coach to themselves; I posted this in another thread:
I got the 1000 York to Edinburgh today (this service started from Doncaster); the reservations got turned off at Newcastle. From Newcastle onwards announcements were very harsh in tone, warning of consequences such as fines for people not following rules. We were told the reservations were turned off because people must not look to sit in quiet areas of the trains, even empty coaches, and it was vital that we sat in our assigned seats. There was no visible staff presence north of Newcastle, just regular harsh announcements and threats of BTP boarding randomly....
No ticket checking took place.

I rarely see a Guard these days; XC tend to walk through but Northern and LNER are rarely seen.

I have had one on-board check on Avanti, that's it.

Once ticket checks resume, I imagine some LNER Guards are going to be forcing people to sit in their allocated seat, even if that's near someone and/or in an aisle seat, and there are quiet areas of the train.

XC Guards don't seem to check tickets but are walking through; some of them do the opposite of some LNER Guards and force people to be sat distant from each other, and force couples to split up and avoid aisle seats.

Of course, knowing how ludicrous and inconsistent the rail industry behaves, we should have predicted all this!

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I haven't noticed any ticket checks on Northern trains when I went on them - however given I was doing most of my travels around Greater Manchester this would be expected virus or not.

johntea

Established Member
TPE check on a Leeds to Manchester Airport this morning

Although it wasn’t a detailed check as the guard was having technology issues with both the smartphone for scanning tickets and also the announcement system was bust so they were rather rushed off their feet!

They also let off a nearby passenger who held a ‘Northern only’ ticket which was nice to see a bit of discretion as the poor passenger was about to have a mini panic attack! (Instead they calmly and clearly explained the rules around the various tickets for next time)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
They also let off a nearby passenger who held a ‘Northern only’ ticket which was nice to see a bit of discretion as the poor passenger was about to have a mini panic attack! (Instead they calmly and clearly explained the rules around the various tickets for next time)
As far as I know TPE are currently accepting Northern only tickets until Northern has a full (or better than present) timetable but I'm not certain - others will know more

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Full ticket check on the 1943 Paddington to Swansea this evening, the first I've seen on GWR in months.

Lads opposite me panic bought on the app, thought they got a free ride as the train departed from platform 1 at Paddington! (no barriers on 1, 8 or 9).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was checked a lot on GWR recently; by Guards on the trains to/from Barnstaple (also at Exeter St Davids/Central) and also on a train to Paignton.

However my Kingswear to York journey saw no checks.

I'm told we're about to have a ticket check on an LNER train, but I've not seen anyone yet (update: they walked through where I was sat to check First Class). This would be (edit: have been) my first check on board LNER since before the lockdown. They may also be checking reservations; I will find out if they are as the people sat opposite swapped seats with another group, so it'll be interesting to see if this gets picked up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.