• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That will make it even more "fun" for someone changing between trains from platform 2 to P4, at least the middle bridge cuts down the distance. Especially if a train pulls into P1/P3 at around the same time.
Wouldn't the gateline be far enough across to allow platform interchange without having to go through it, though?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sk688

one thing i found interesting during the strike on wednesday , was ticket checks on arrival at euston at an unbarriered platform , when i arrived in on an avanti service , by people in blue tabards.

Very thorough ticket check , and the first time ive had a ticket check on arrival at euston , when its not at platforms 1-3

Kite159

Veteran Member
one thing i found interesting during the strike on wednesday , was ticket checks on arrival at euston at an unbarriered platform , when i arrived in on an avanti service , by people in blue tabards.

Very thorough ticket check , and the first time ive had a ticket check on arrival at euston , when its not at platforms 1-3
Probably thinking that some people might have chanced travelling without a ticket or one which wouldn't have been valid on Avanti.

Chriso

The middle overbridge at Nottingham is being closed to rail passengers at some point - the locks are already fitted - forcing passengers through the gateline.

Fantastic news. I wonder if they will put a small remotely operated gateline in at the car park entrance/exit thus closing all the loopholes

They are also stricter at Leicester now reducing the car park remotely operated entrance/exit to peak hours only.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TPE very rarely check my ticket, but today I actually got not only a glance at the ticket between York and Leeds, but I even got scanned between Leeds and Manchester! :o

I won't say which train, as some militant union types don't like TPE Guards doing this.

I was chatting with another TPE Guard the other day who said that a Union person objected to them scanning tickets; the response was along the lines of 'I will scan them if I want to'.

Good on them!

Chriso

Excellent report. I have used Southern a fair bit over the last two weeks with some OBS doing a great job but I noticed on the 171’s the guards always just stayed in the cab. At Oxted the other Sat evening the gateline was like a hurdles event with the amount of youths hurtling them even on the manned side. The poor gateline assistant was power less

miklcct

On Moderation
Report from my recent London - Dover trip.

Outward journey made on the last low-speed train on Sunday departing 22:40 Charing Cross - no one checked tickets.
Return journey made on the first low-speed train on Tuesday departing 04:30 Dover Priory - the guard checked tickets.

zero

Another trip to Scotland day before strike
London to Peterborough GTR - barriers only
Peterborough to Nottingham then Newark C EMR - guards walked through but no checks
Newark N to Newcastle LNER - TM walked through saying "tickets from Newark", nobody offered a ticket, TM must have seen some Newark boarders in my coach, yet didn't say anything. Barriers at NCL open
Newcastle to Edinburgh LNER - ticket scanned
Edinburgh to High Street Glasgow SR - no barriers, ticket visually checked early on but not marked. Surprising number of people from Glasgow suburbs alighting at High Street (first time I've used this station), perhaps some of them are pay-when-challenged

Return Monday
Queen St to Waverley SR - barriers and visual check
Waverley to Newcastle TPE - ticket scanned
Newcastle to Peterborough LNER - ticket scanned

Kite159

Veteran Member
Surprising number of people from Glasgow suburbs alighting at High Street (first time I've used this station), perhaps some of them are pay-when-challenged
Most likely, no barriers at High Street so for some pay when challenged it makes sense to alight there and walk the last short section.

Similar to Cardiff Bay which doesn't have barriers, I can remember last year when TfW guards were not doing revenue a pair of 153s from Caerphilly getting very busy at Queen Street for the last leg. Sure some would have been genuine passengers for Cardiff Bay but I suspect a few didn't have tickets.

railfan99

Established Member
Return journey Norwich to Sheringham today. On the 1247 up, a bloke paid £3.80 for a single from Cromer to North Walsham, so yes, regular checks. Plus barriers manned at Norwich.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Return journey Norwich to Sheringham today. On the 1247 up, a bloke paid £3.80 for a single from Cromer to North Walsham, so yes, regular checks. Plus barriers manned at Norwich.
Greater Anglia's class 755 operated services are a rare example where (with some exceptions) it is still officially permitted to buy on board. This used to be the case across many parts of the country until quite recently, to be fair.

With the driver having full control over the doors in normal operation, conductors have every reason and opportunity to spend more time on revenue duties!

MrJeeves

Established Member
Did a return leg from Canley to Burgess Hill today.

Only ticket inspections were the gatelines on LU at Euston and St P. All NR gatelines open!

Status
Not open for further replies.