• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHolmes

I still find it odd the keenness to sell tickets on what is a penalty fare route.

It’s not in the conductors interest to not sell you one.

They receive a commission on ticket sales and it’s much easier, less hassle and less confrontational to just sell a passenger the ticket they need rather than obtain passenger details for a UFN or TIR.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chriso

Still no checks on TfW as I believe the guards aren't allowed out the rear cab unless they have to operate the doors.

Northern is about a 50% success - more so on Manchester to Crewe line. Glossop Line tends not to get ticket checks at night due to the rough 'uns at Hattersley (probably). You only tend to see the guards when they dispatch from the middle door at Ashburys.

TPE and CrossCountry I get gripped on most of my journeys.

Good to hear TPE guards doing checks again. I believe they were suspended again in December with the 2nd lockdown

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
TPE and CrossCountry I get gripped on most of my journeys.
Goes against what I've heard regarding TPE which is no on board checks at present? Good to hear if that's changed though, if nothing else it'll stave off boredom for the guards.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Goes against what I've heard regarding TPE which is no on board checks at present? Good to hear if that's changed though, if nothing else it'll stave off boredom for the guards.
There is a difference between revenue equipment being issued and tickets being checked. Tickets can still be checked without any being sold.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
They must of looked at data and seen loads of tickets from Crossmyloof to Glasgow Central being sold. Scotrail don't do e tickets so may be through the Trainline.

I used the ticket from another station option to split tickets.
I don't think you can buy a Crossmyloof to Glasgow eticket anywhere. Certainly the Trainline app won't let me buy one.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I don't think you can buy a Crossmyloof to Glasgow eticket anywhere. Certainly the Trainline app won't let me buy one.

Trainsplit only offers TOD.

Although that won't necessarily stop someone buying it online collecting from their local station and using it at the barriers at Glasgow.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
1604 Cramlington to Manors yesterday- tickets checked.

1416 Hexham to Newcastle today- two guards present (one in training) and both were checking tickets together.

Both Northern services.

route101

Established Member
Trainsplit only offers TOD.

Although that won't necessarily stop someone buying it online collecting from their local station and using it at the barriers at Glasgow.
Yes, buy on Scotrail App and collect. I've some people do this for local journeys, I wonder why? I understand for advance or long distance.

RHolmes

Ticket checking and selling by TPE is now back onboard as of this week.

Some staff have been carrying out ticket checks unofficially as it’s the easiest way to spot if someone is in the right part of the train for short platforms (C-ASDO and ASDO) and also helps with situations onboard such as issues county lines trafficking etc

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
6 journeys today:

Lockerbie - Glasgow
Glasgow - Dunblane
Dunblane - Glasgow
Glasgow - Pollokshields East
Pollokshields East - Glasgow
Glasgow - Lockerbie

only one ticket check when I was getting on the 390 for Glasgow - Lockerbie

route101

Established Member
6 journeys today:

Lockerbie - Glasgow
Glasgow - Dunblane
Dunblane - Glasgow
Glasgow - Pollokshields East
Pollokshields East - Glasgow
Glasgow - Lockerbie

only one ticket check when I was getting on the 390 for Glasgow - Lockerbie
No Scotrail checks for a year now. What were you doing in Dunblane and Pollokshields East?

RHolmes

I travelled York-Newcastle on Wednesday and there were no on board checks.

It was only formally announced yesterday, and remains at the conductors discretion (largely based on likelihood of social distancing and passengers following guidelines and instructions).

I’ll be back to doing revenue checks on my next duty.

sonic2009

Established Member
I've not had a ticket check on London Northwestern for a while, only travel between Crewe & Winsford for work, but I've not seen the RPI's out either.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It was only formally announced yesterday, and remains at the conductors discretion (largely based on likelihood of social distancing and passengers following guidelines and instructions).

I’ll be back to doing revenue checks on my next duty.

And I bet you will probably find a good number of passengers without tickets if they are travelling between unbarriered stations

RPI

Established Member
We've continued on board checks since last August, clear guidance from management that it is entirely at our own judgment as to whether we feel its safe or not and no repercussions if we decide not to do checks. Was interesting for the first few days of this lockdown in January as for about a week I think all of the passengers were expecting a free for all again and didn't bother buying tickets, soon nipped that in the bud.

Chriso

Yesterday I had checks on 2 out of 3 Northern trains and 1 TPX with 2 RPI in addition to guard doing a full check on 2x185 on the 16:58 Manchester Piccadilly to Stalybridge.

Interestingly it looked like the Southport to Manchester Oxford Road trains which were all 2 x 150/1 had a guard or RPI in both units which was good to see

Full check by guard on 19:22 Crewe to Watford Junction Pendolino.

spark001uk

Established Member
Regular checks taking place on various SWR services now, sometimes even when there's only a few minutes between stops (irrelevant when it's rpi rather than guard obviously). Ticket issue looks generally available too.
Wondering what the general policy is with cash now, is it accepted? Refused? Or down to the individual toc?

RPI

Established Member
Regular checks taking place on various SWR services now, sometimes even when there's only a few minutes between stops (irrelevant when it's rpi rather than guard obviously). Ticket issue looks generally available too.
Wondering what the general policy is with cash now, is it accepted? Refused? Or down to the individual toc?
We're certainly taking cash, have done since August

Wolfie

Established Member
I've not had a ticket check on London Northwestern for a while, only travel between Crewe & Winsford for work, but I've not seen the RPI's out either.
I did Shropshire (Telford) to Euston, via WMR and LNWR, last week. Zero ticket checks and went into an ungated platform at Euston. Gates were live at Birmingham New Street but l was never going to leave the station.

RHolmes

Cash is accepted
Card is preferable

Chriso

I did Shropshire (Telford) to Euston, via WMR and LNWR, last week. Zero ticket checks and went into an ungated platform at Euston. Gates were live at Birmingham New Street but l was never going to leave the station.

From what I can tell still no onboard revenue taking place on LNWR or WMR

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Cressington to Heathrow Saturday 19th March this is where my ticket was required:

Liverpool Central - exit barrier.
London Underground
Paddington - HEX Platform entry barrier

Return 26th March:
HEX - Manual check by guard on train
Paddington HEX exit barrier
London Underground
Euston - Manual check on ramp
Liverpool Central - entry barrier.

I been so inclined, I could have only got a free ride LIV-EUS on the outward leg.

All the barriers at Heathrow were open both times in each direction.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Still none on Scotrail. I noticed they taken the 'Buy ticket from another station' function away from TVMs.

route101

Established Member
Still none on Scotrail. I noticed they taken the 'Buy ticket from another station' function away from TVMs.

High Dyke

Established Member
As Huntergreed said, yes t's a) to ensure those on board do have a reservation and b) to make sure they are all in their correct seats.
I haven't travelled by train since this current lockdown began, but prior to that I have made reservations, even on a free pass - merely to save any issues. My only bugbear about LNER on this, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is that I could walk through a couple of empty / near empty coaches, to my booked seat to find about a dozen people socially distanced across 18-20 seats in my alloted coach. It makes no sense!

route101

Established Member
I haven't travelled by train since this current lockdown began, but prior to that I have made reservations, even on a free pass - merely to save any issues. My only bugbear about LNER on this, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is that I could walk through a couple of empty / near empty coaches, to my booked seat to find about a dozen people socially distanced across 18-20 seats in my alloted coach. It makes no sense!

Yes I noticed this on my trips on LNER last year. There was one service were 6 people were bunched at one end, they moved. The problem is the seat reservation displays were switched off, so you couldn't determine what seats were free.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes I noticed this on my trips on LNER last year. There was one service were 6 people were bunched at one end, they moved. The problem is the seat reservation displays were switched off, so you couldn't determine what seats were free.

I was on an LNER service yesterday and there were only four of us in the coach, with two of us booked in seats right behind one another at one end and the other two (travelling together) at the other end of the coach with the whole of the middle of the coach empty. I just moved to the middle of the coach and no-body said a word. My ticket was checked but I was not asked to show my reservation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.