• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

317 forever

Established Member
On my Northern train to Stoke on Trent en route to Uttoxeter yesterday my ticket was checked. No other checks, not even on Avanti from Stoke to Stockport.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
EMR back to revenue checks at the discretion of the guard/revenue protection staff from today having suspended on board checks at the start of January with cases spiking.

LowLevel

Established Member
Having been back to checking tickets all week it is pleasing that most people, as last time, seem to be fundamentally honest and are travelling on valid tickets, or at the very least something approaching it, having got used to buying TOC only tickets without being corrected perhaps.

I'm still shovelling in a 3 figure sum that is more than my daily wage on chancers, primarily for local journeys, however. Selling 50-80 tickets on the average late turn.

Chriso

That is really good to here. Nice to see things slowly returning to normal

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Tickets are starting to be more regularly checked on avanti as well. And even LNWR are doing it a little to.

Butts

Veteran Member
Heavens above......before you know it Scotrail may join the party if they have time allowing for strike contemplation !!

Established Member
Been gripped on both a GWR IET and LNER Azuma today. 2/2

Was checked on an early morning turbo out of Temple Meads yesterday. 1/1

Did 2 GWR IETs and 2 HEX 387s on Wednesday and was checked 3/4 times.

Wasn't checked on either XC Voyager on Tuesday but the TMs did walk through a couple of times.

Butts

Veteran Member
Been gripped on both a GWR IET and LNER Azuma today. 2/2

Was checked on an early morning turbo out of Temple Meads yesterday. 1/1

Did 2 GWR IETs and 2 HEX 387s on Wednesday and was checked 3/4 times.

Wasn't checked on either XC Voyager on Tuesday but the TMs did walk through a couple of times.

If you'd been on home turf - no chance !!

Scotrail no checks in over a year and they want a pay rise ....

RHolmes

If you'd been on home turf - no chance !!

Scotrail no checks in over a year and they want a pay rise ....

If it’s anything like other TOCs the option wouldn’t have been at the choice of the conductors, it would have been health and safety reps and higher management.

So wether they wanted to or not, the option was not available

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Not checked on any TFW services but I was checked on an Avanti service from Warrington Bank Quay to Crewe on 31/3.

Butts

Veteran Member
If it’s anything like other TOCs the option wouldn’t have been at the choice of the conductors, it would have been health and safety reps and higher management.

So wether they wanted to or not, the option was not available

Surely what's good for the goose.....?

Was it not mandated nationally but left up to individual TOC's ?

Wolfie

Established Member
Surely what's good for the goose.....?

Was it not mandated nationally but left up to individual TOC's ?
Given that health, and hence CV restrictions, is the responsibility of devolved governments there can be no 'national' (as in UK or even GB wide) mandate.

1D54

Nothing on return from Leicester to Sheffield but ticket inspection straight out of Piccadilly on 14:18 TP service to Sheffield.

Killingworth

Established Member
Ticket checked on TPE from Sheffield to Piccadilly and again at barrier.

Quite a queue at Platform 3 for return. Ticket rejected at barrier but gate opened and waved through with companion. Northern service was a pair of 150/1s that were as well filled as I've seen even before Covid. No ticket check in front half, but that's normal!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Went on 16 trains today on a trip towards Derbyshire (2x SWR, 1x GWR, 6x XC, 1x TfW Rail, 6x EMR), only the first SWR had a ticket check.

Although 3 of the XC services were double voyagers where my reserved seat was in the leading unit (other than the last section following the reversal at Reading)

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Ticket check on TPE tonight. If I’m not mistaken, they have some sort of rugged handheld device to scan tickets now as opposed to a camera on a phone.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

RHolmes

Ticket check on TPE tonight. If I’m not mistaken, they have some sort of rugged handheld device to scan tickets now as opposed to a camera on a phone.

Only revenue have the handheld scanner that’s been mentioned above, but they’re moving to using the Zebra ticket machine itself to scan (and load smartcard) tickets depot by depot

HSP 2

We went out yesterday (3/4/21) using approx. 20 trains and 5 different ToCs. The only one that consistently checked the tickets was Northern.
The other ToCs were, TPE, GC, GN and XC.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Checked both ways yesterday on SWR (and hats off to the guard on the evening train for dealing with a troublemaker who decided buying a ticket wasn't for him)

Today nothing (SWR to/from Salisbury, GWR to/from Bristol nor on the Severn Beach line). Only time I saw the guard was when they walked through to do the front door at Dilton Marsh

WestRiding

Based on my ride the other day. Sheffield to Norwich, no ticket check. Norwich to London, no ticket checks. Marylebone to Birmingham, no ticket checks. (not including barriers at stations, most of which were left wide open). The Guards really are not helping themselves in the Driver Only debate.

_toommm_

Established Member
Revenue Protection boarded at Victoria today on the way round to the Airport on TPE. No check from the guard though.

spark001uk

Established Member
Several RPI on a Weybridge via Hounslow service early yesterday morning, saw a few people nabbed.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I was checked from Rochdale to Victoria and Ashton-under-Lyne to Victoria yesterday. I was also on a late evening Manchester Airport to Liverpool train with no on-board ticket check, but there was a large revenue protection block at East Didsbury. Nothing on Metrolink.

Established Member
Checked on the Pendo from Edinburgh to Carlisle this morning, so far no check on the way back but not at Carstairs as of yet to be fair.

Wolfie

Established Member
Revenue Protection boarded at Victoria today on the way round to the Airport on TPE. No check from the guard though.
Southend, London or Manchester? I guess that TPE implies the latter but .....

Status
Not open for further replies.