• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jones 88

Just wondering when Southeastern will be resuming on board ticket checks, I do get annoyed with the amount of people I see who obviously don't buy tickets, I hear them bragging on about it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Did Cambridge-Manchester and back yesterday...and trebled my ticket inspections that I've had in the last 12 months...

One check on Northern Calder Valley service between Manchester and Leeds. Another check on EMR between Manchester and Sheffield.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
No ticket check on EMR from Leicester to Loughborough and back yesterday. It is only 10-12 minutes each way though, so not sure how frequent checks were on this stretch pre-COVID.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just wondering when Southeastern will be resuming on board ticket checks, I do get annoyed with the amount of people I see who obviously don't buy tickets, I hear them bragging on about it.

There will be some penalty fares getting issued when the RPIs do come back to check tickets on South Eastern services

Chriso

Good to see undercover Underground RPI’s back in action this morning observing the gateline at Notting Hill Gate. First time I have seen this since pre-COVID

Kite159

Veteran Member
Both times on SWR
Nothing on the GA 745s
RPIs on a pair of 321s from Manningtree towards Colchester
Both ways on the Harwich branch (the guard went to the front on departure at Harwich International, I bet they must miss the 360s [assuming the 360s had door release panels at more sets of doors, as they have to return to the back cab to do the doors on a 321]
Walton/Clacton services, mixed bag (again the guard is more limited with having to return to the back cab on a route where some of the stations are close together)

Chriso

On Friday I was checked by guards between Birmingham and Kidderminster both ways and also by a guard on a Wolverhampton to Birmingham stopper so looks like West Midlands Trains staff are back in action. I also travelled up to Birmingham from West Ruislip and it appears guards on Chiltern are still not checking tickets

Gates all working at Moor St, Snow Hill, New St, Coventry, Banbury and Leamington Spa. Wolverhampton gateline still not operational

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Had a jolly on Friday.

Surprise of the day was a group of 3 Cross Country RPIs checking tickets on the platform before the boarding of the 2222 Brum to Leicester!

Failed Unit

Established Member
Yesterday
GTR - 0/2 (no surprise as it is DOO)
LNER - ¼ (with a guard that didn’t bother going on about move people incorrect seats, removing people without masks /reservations but never left the back cab)
EMR - 2/2

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Surprise of the day was a group of 3 Cross Country RPIs checking tickets on the platform before the boarding of the 2222 Brum to Leicester!
Seems a bit pointless checking tickets before boarding - surely more 'results' if you catch people on the train?

Chriso

At that time of time it denies the people who refuse to pay onboard and ensures the only people boarding have a valid ticket for that journey and not a single to Duddeston or nothing at all

LowLevel

Established Member
Seems a bit pointless checking tickets before boarding - surely more 'results' if you catch people on the train?
They were Birmingham based and just finishing their day off. They seemed to be doing a reasonably successful job of selling tickets and making a point about buying before you board to a decent number of people.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They were Birmingham based and just finishing their day off. They seemed to be doing a reasonably successful job of selling tickets and making a point about buying before you board to a decent number of people.
Fair enough. I'd have thought they would be more interested in catching people 'in the act' so as to prosecute (or extract a disproportionate settlement).

Killingworth

Established Member
A week or two ago I saw a TPE revenue protection officer leave a Cleethorpes bound train at Dore at 8.04 to return on the 8.14 for Manchester. I doubt he'd have caught many on those trains without tickets but at least he could check the forward unit which is normally impossible with only one guard.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Last night, no check on the delayed 21:32 Leeds to Sheffield via Wakefield Kirkgate even though I was in the rear unit of a 4-car Class 195 formation. I had intended to do the 21:48 via Outwood into Westgate however this was cancelled at the very last minute due to "a fault on the train" (whatever the reality was, I'm unsure). No check either on the very short connection up to Westgate (single 158 from Knottingley).

No check either on my reason for being out last night - the very last Slam-door HST from Wakefield to Leeds!

But barriers in operation at Leeds on arrival meant tickets were necessary. By the time I returned on the HST the staff had opened up the very left-hand barrier as I suppose they let enthusiasts in after around quarter to 11 as a one-off (the HST arriving just after 11). There were very few trains leaving Leeds after the HST pulled in (this changes significantly from Monday though when Northern reinstate many late trains, just in time too!)

james60059

Had a jolly on Friday.

I think XC are still insisting on having a reservation before boarding a service. Not quite sure how that would work if you're on an open ticket like a West Midlands Day Ranger :smile:

HST274

My ticket was checked on a University to Worcester commute last friday. Also one of the busiest trains I have been on with every other seat taken!!!

Sussex Ben

Mine was checked on Weds morning on a morning peak Gatwick Express train (currently branded Southern) - I get the impression only 1st class was checked though.

Travelling home on a similar service yesterday, I overheard a conversation between other GX on board supervisors yesterday, and it seems that it’s up to the individual member of staff whether they check tickets for now. It won’t be required for a few more weeks.

Cletus

Established Member
On my 6th trip on Southeastern from Dover to St Pancras since early April and just had my 1st ticket check.

route101

Established Member
Seen the guard on a East Kilbride to Glasgow Central service, checking tickets. He never actually got round to checking mine.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Nothing on the 2 trains I caught on Friday. Barriers wide open at Banbury (around 7pm), Moor Street & New Street

Saturday, checked on the XC heading to Manchester, nothing coming back. Of the trains I was on I would guess ~ 25% got checked, including a RPI on a pair of 331s from Bolton towards Salford who pounced straight away. No barriers in use at New Street (06:45 & 22:10), nor at Piccadilly (around 19:45, not even the usual manned block for the higher number platforms).

Today, checked on the early morning Stratford Upon Avon Express, although I suspect that was more down to the guard making sure I knew it was fast to Stratford Parkway. Nothing on Chiltern, nor the other West Midlands services. Nothing on XC or SWR either.

Chriso

I travelled to Manchester yesterday from London via LNW and Crewe. 8:46 up full check by guard between Euston and Milton Keynes and a further check between Nuneaton and Atherstone by 3 x RPI’s. In Manchester only one check on the 14:30 Stalybridge to Manchester Victoria. I travelled on lots of trams including the Oldham loop and didn’t see any revenue. On the return journey guard done a check on the 19:35 Crewe to Euston between Rugby and Milton Keynes. Impressed to see gates at Watford Junction fully operational around 21:45

ScotGG

Established Member
On the suburbans they havnt bothered for 20 years. Maybe it's just a case of standardisation.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Judging by a couple threads in the Dispute area of the forum, looks like the South Eastern RPIs are back on on the metro network, at least 3 threads in the last week or so involving South Eastern journeys

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
RPIs out in force this morning on Anglia. One group on the Southend line and another on a Clacton.

james60059

I did a West Midlands Day Ranger yesterday, travelled on 12 different services and wasn't checked once. They were all West Midlands Railway services.

woolos

I did a West Midlands Day Ranger yesterday, travelled on 12 different services and wasn't checked once. They were all West Midlands Railway services.
Had a ticket check on a tfw cardiff to carmarthen train today

Chriso

Yesterday I travelled from London to Tunbridge Wells and returned the long way

. 10:36 West Ruislip (Gates working at Marylebone
. 12:19 London Bridge to Tonbridge (gates working at London Bridge (all) and ticket check by guard onboard
. 14:09 Tunbridge Wells to Tonbridge (gates working both sides at Tonbridge)
. 15:01 Tonbridge to Redhill (gates working at Tonbridge both sides and ticket check by SE guard)
. 15:58 Redhill to Dorking Deepdene (ticket check by guard)
. 17:07 Dorking - London Bridge (gates working at Dorking and London Bridge SN)

Not a bad show. I believe Southern OBS & guards will have the choice to start doing tickets again from today after speaking to staff yday

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Was out travelling the past 2 days, here's how it went:

Monday
05:16 Hull - Sheffield, full ticket check onboard
06:44 Sheffield - Nottingham, full ticket check onboard
08:07 Nottingham - Cardiff Central, full ticket check onboard
22:41 Newport - Cardiff Central, nothing

Tuesday
15:48 Crewe - Manchester Piccadilly, full ticket check onboard
17:42 Manchester Piccadilly - Sheffield, nothing
18:57 Sheffield - Hull, full ticket check onboard

Every other service I took was a TfW service where there was nothing onboard - only things checking for tickets were barriers at certain stations and revenue protection working at Barry and Carmarthen.

route101

Established Member
Had a few checks on Scotrail now. Some guards are just walking through asking if anyone needs a ticket as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.