• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Today (23rd)
Hull - Doncaster (Northern): checked on leaving Hull
Doncaster - Peterborough (LNER): checked on leaving Doncaster
Peterborough - Norwich (EMR): checked on leaving Peterborough
Norwich - North Walsham (GA): checked on leaving Norwich
North Walsham - Sheringham (GA): nothing
Sheringham - Norwich (GA): see above
Norwich - Lowestoft (GA): checked around Reedham
Lowestoft - Ipswich (GA): checked between Oulton Broad South and Beccles
Ipswich - Cambridge (GA): checked after Bury St Edmunds
Cambridge - Peterborough (XC): nothing
Peterborough - Doncaster (LNER): nothing
Doncaster - Hull (Northern): nothing, although the guard did walk through the train between Doncaster and Selby

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
23/06:
Leeds to Doncaster (Northern): Ticket check before first stop.
Doncaster to Peterborough (LNER): No ticket check.
Peterborough to Ipswich (GA): Ticket check before first stop.
Ipswich to Liverpool Street (GA): No ticket check.

24/06:
Waterloo to Weymouth (SWR): Ticket check after Clapham, and another after Bournemouth.
Weymouth to Bristol TM (GWR): Two RPIs checking tickets and seeing if ticket offices were open.
Bristol TM to Leeds (XC): Ticket check after Bristol Parkway.

james60059

19/06/21.

10:09 Nuneaton - Birmingham New Street (XC - No Checks).
10:50 Birmingham New Street - Worcester Foregate Street (WM - No Checks).
12:02 Worcester Foregate Street - Hereford (GW - No Checks).
13:18 Hereford - Worcester Foregate Street (GW - Checked).
14:24 Worcester Foregate Street - Bromsgrove (WM - No Checks).
14:48 Bromsgrove - Longbridge (WM - No Checks).
15:08 Longbridge - Redditch (WM - No Checks).
15:32 Redditch - Birmingham New Street (WM - No Checks).
16:22 Birmingham New Street - Crewe (WM - No Checks).
17:51 Crewe - Birmingham New Street (WM - No Checks).
19:04 Birmingham New Street - Coventry (XC - No Checks).
19:37 Coventry - Leamington Spa (WM - No Checks).
20:02 Leamington Spa - Nuneaton (WM - No Checks).

There was full barrier and ticket checks at Birmingham New Street.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yesterday
GWR - checked after Filton on the way to Cardiff. Nothing on the way back to Salisbury
TfW - only one onboard check (Caerphilly to Cardiff Bay shuttle, although the guard did request a group of lads to leave at Queen Street as they lacked tickets, clearly heading towards the unbarriered Cardiff Bay.
Revenue Protection at Caerphilly on the southbound platform & bay.

I'm surprised that revenue protection weren't at Cardiff Bay as it must be a hotspot for fare evasion.

Last edited:

HST274

Yesterday
GWR worcester to Oxford-no
GWR Oxford to didcot-no
Didcot to Oxford-no
Oxford to Worcester-no

I also travelled from Didcot to cholsey and back but it was very quick and am I right in saying the class 387s are driver operated?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yesterday
GWR worcester to Oxford-no
GWR Oxford to didcot-no
Didcot to Oxford-no
Oxford to Worcester-no

I also travelled from Didcot to cholsey and back but it was very quick and am I right in saying the class 387s are driver operated?

387s are DOO (Excluding Didcot - Bristol Parkway). Likewise Oxford - Didcot would be DOO on the 165s

HST274

387s are DOO (Excluding Didcot - Bristol Parkway). Likewise Oxford - Didcot would be DOO on the 165s
I thought so for the 387s. I think the first 165 was without a guard as it started Oxford, ended Didcot with two stops but I believe the other had a guard as it was going all the way to Banbury but I may have mistaken a passenger for a guard.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I thought so for the 387s. I think the first 165 was without a guard as it started Oxford, ended Didcot with two stops but I believe the other had a guard as it was going all the way to Banbury but I may have mistaken a passenger for a guard.
All GWR services to Banbury are DOO, including the 80x fasts.

That doesn't exclude the possibility that there could be a member of traincrew travelling 'pass' for some reason.

route101

Established Member
0737 Glasgow to Lancaster. No platform ticket check at Glasgow Central. Ticket checked on board.
1956 Lancaster to Glasgow Central. No ticket check. That's quite common heading north from Preston.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
From yesterday:
Hull - Doncaster (Northern): checked between Hull and Brough
Doncaster - London Kings Cross (LNER): checked after leaving Doncaster
London Liverpool Street - Colchester Town (GA): nothing
Colchester Town - Walton-on-the-Naze (GA): nothing (although I noticed a bog roll ticket left on one of the seats in the unit which suggests at least one guard had been through)
Walton-on-the-Naze - Thorpe-le-Soken (GA): nothing
Thorpe-le-Soken - Clacton-on-Sea (GA): nothing
Clacton-on-Sea - Colchester (GA): nothing
Colchester - Shenfield (GA): nothing
Shenfield - Wickford (GA): nothing
Wickford - Shenfield (GA): nothing
Shenfield - Southend Victoria (GA): nothing
Southend Victoria - London Liverpool Street (GA): nothing
London Liverpool Street - Cambridge (GA): nothing
Cambridge - Peterborough (XC): nothing
Peterborough - Doncaster (LNER): nothing
Doncaster - Hull (Northern): checked after Doncaster

In fairness apart from the Walton/Clacton trains all the GA services I got were DOO so not being checked was to be expected. Barriers were working at Liverpool Street, Shenfield, Southend Victoria and Cambridge although they looked open at Colchester.

Chriso

Trip from London to Hereford today on a LNR/WM only ticket and a surprising amount of checks

09:15 Euston - Birmingham NS (Full check by guard on 2 x350 by Leighton Buzzard)

Gates full operational @ New St inc Hill St And Nav St

11:50 Birmingham NS - Hereford (Full check by guard between University & Bromsgrove)

Gates fully working at Hereford OB and RTN

14:39 Hereford - Worcester FS (no check)

16:24 Worcester FS - Birmingham NS (no check)

All gates operational @ New St except Hill St

17:53 Birmingham NS - Northampton

Gates fully working at Northampton

19:05 Northampton - Watford Jn (ticket check on dep from Northampton)

Gates open @ Watford Junction

Overground to Kenton where gates were fully operational

Did Crewe to London and return (LNWR) on Sunday/Monday - only ticket checks were automatic barriers on entrance and exit at Crewe.

Wolfie

Established Member
Did Crewe to London and return (LNWR) on Sunday/Monday - only ticket checks were automatic barriers on entrance and exit at Crewe.
It's amazing just how many LNWR services go off unbarriered platforms at Euston.

LowLevel

Established Member
Today:
Avanti out of Liverpool - gripped between Runcorn and Crewe by the guard as well as there having been a Northern revenue squad and the Avanti station staff on the platform

LNWR Stafford - Tamworth - gripped immediately on departing Stafford, guard had clearly been on the go before Stafford too, had to retreat to do his door deselect at Rugeley

XC Tamworth - Nottingham - no grip though there was a trolley

Did a bit of travelling on the Snow Hill lines over the past few days too and was surprised by being gripped on nearly every WMR train by the guard.

Basher

Just back from a few days around Glasgow area, I used the train to get about. Not ONCE was my ticked checked on the trains. What do these guards do for the pay?

zero

I had a brief trip to Scotland a few weeks ago and my ticket was checked on both Scotrail trains, although I overhead some people wanting to pay with cash getting a free ride.

Done Crewe to Nottingham and return yesterday/today barriers in force at Crewe and Nottingham, checked on both trains by the EMR guard.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Out and about around the North West today on a train and beer cruise. So far:

Frodsham - Chester (Northern, checked)
Chester - Crewe (Avanti, unchecked)
Crewe - Piccadilly (Northern, unchecked)

Oh, and The Mill at Piccadilly is now £6.99 for a pint of San Miguel!!!

johntea

Established Member
I have been travelling on a lot of off peak returns (paper tickets) recently and have noticed guards don’t seem to ‘scribble’ on them or stamp them any more they just take a glance and move on

Although I did have an odd incident with a TPE guard as I (validly) used the outward portion on a 4AM service the day after purchase and they decided to scribble the date on the ticket even though it would have expired after stepping off the service anyway!

greyman42

Established Member
I have been travelling on a lot of off peak returns (paper tickets) recently and have noticed guards don’t seem to ‘scribble’ on them or stamp them any more they just take a glance and move on

Although I did have an odd incident with a TPE guard as I (validly) used the outward portion on a 4AM service the day after purchase and they decided to scribble the date on the ticket even though it would have expired after stepping off the service anyway!
I was on a LNER service yesterday and the inspector scanned my paper ticket. There was a lady sat on the other side of the coach who had the card style ticket and she did scribble on that.

Wolfie

Established Member
Ticket checked on LNWR Northampton to Birmingham service. No scribble though. No checks Euston to Northampton or Birmingham to Telford.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Friday:
Checked on the 159 to Basingstoke but not on the 444s to Waterloo (nonstop Basingstoke - Clapham).
Avanti was the usual pre boarding check but no sign of the TM only than I assume heading to the posh seats a couple times.

Saturday:
As expected nothing on TfW services, how much revenue is being wasted both by people not buying tickets from stations with TVMs etc & those boarding at stations which don't have buying options.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
08:18 Liverpool to Euston Avanti.

No checks whatsoever at either station or on board.

Guard just announced on PA that any advanced tickets must be for this train and that was it.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Today:
Only check was on the HST from Worcester towards Bristol where the guard checked tickets after Worcester. Mix of revenue and I guess to ensure people are sat in the right coach due to SDO at Ashchurch, Cam & Yate.
I will exclude the pair of 165s from Bristol to Salisbury as I was in the front unit, although I wonder how many chancers simply aim for the front unit on a pair of 165/166s when travelling between unbarriered stations in the hope of getting a free ride?

Nothing on the 170s to Shrewsbury (barriers looked to be in operation), nor on the Welsh trains (as expected), barriers in use at Hereford. Nothing on a pair of 172/2s towards Worcester.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
No ticket checks on anything Northern recently apart from when a Piccadilly to Alderley Edge was only 2-car (the working from Southport had been cancelled at Wigan and a replacement started at Oxford Road, so it was far from packed).

HSP 2

Had a day out on Saturday going around Birmingham (cost £19.00) the only time I had to get my ticket out was going off New St. at about 13:00 and going on Moor St. at about 13:20.
The next check was between Crewe and Manchester Pic.

Chriso

I had a day in South Eastern land yday on a super off peak London to Margate ticket as I needed to visit the Ashford Outlet Centre Levi’s shop. Bizarrely the Margate ticket was only around 40p more than Ashford

13.37 London SP - Ashford Intl (gates working at London SP . Open at Ashford Intl)

15:52 Ashford Intl - Canterbury West (gates open @ Ashford Intl and Canterbury West. Full check by OBS onboard )

16:54 Canterbury West - Ramsgate (gates open at Canterbury West)

17:31 Ramsgate - Margate

18:31 Margate - Chatham (2xREO checking tickets on entry at Margate. Gates working at Chatham)

20:25 Chatham - London SP (gates working at Chatham and London St Pancras)

Impressed with the REO check at Margate as I have never seen the ticket machine at Margate with a que on arrival and on my return lol. Still an evident lack of checks by guards and open gatelines.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
14:40 Euston to Manchester Avanti, gateline check on boarding at P14, (no check on the "mandatory" reservation which was good as I didn't have one).

16.58 LNW Crewe to Liverpool Lime St., gateline check at Liverpool South Parkway.

Status
Not open for further replies.