• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Popped to Salisbury this afternoon to see a friend to get some bits off my chest. No checks either way but barriers in use at Salisbury both times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
No checks at all on a journey last week from Meadowhall to beyond Swansea (TPE, change at Stockport, TfW). TPE perhaps because it was a double unit and the guard was in the other one.

But recent trips on Northern around S Yorks have usually been checked.

route101

Established Member
Had a check from Fareham to Southampton on Southern.
SWR Southampton to Winchester too.

Kite159

Veteran Member
SWR both ways (Grateley to Basingstoke), GWR nothing towards Reading nor towards Finstock, checked coming back from Charlbury after Oxford on the IET, plus a check after Reading West on the 165 towards Basingstoke.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Bangor-Chester-Runcorn-Euston-Marylebone-Birmingham-Bangor....no checks at all. (last week)

Chriso

I travelled

London Victoria to Brighton
Brighton - Eastbourne
Eastbourne - Hayward’s Heath
Hayward’s Heath - London Victoria

Had one check on the 18:35 Eastborne-Hayward’s Heath between Lewes and Cooksbridge. The OBS on the 14:29 Vic to Brighton walked through the train with ticket machine and advised anyone to stop him for an upgrade as he walked through - utterly pointless exercise. Gates were working at London Victoria p9-15 (inc taxi rank on p13-14) on dep and at Brighton, Eastbourne and Hayward’s Heath (even at 22:50)

zero

Did an East Midlands Rover this week, was checked on the Northern trains (Nottingham to Alfreton, Lincoln to Sheffield) and on the EMR locals (Barton to Habrough, Leicester to Loughborough stopping). On Northern many people were paying on board in cash and the guards had no issues with this. Also checked on LNER as I mentioned on another thread.

On the MML "connect" / "intercity" services where many stations are barriered I wasn't checked even once. No checks on Skegness line and only once from Cleethorpes to Stoke and back. Not sure if people deliberately avoid the barriered entrance to Nottingham to evade fares or if like me they all had tickets already.

Didn't realise that many of the non-city stations have no ticketing facilities, saw lots of potentially unpaid travel which would have been perfectly legal. One morning I also boarded at a station with no ticket facilities before the rover was valid, and wasn't checked even after it became valid so didn't pay for that bit.

Last edited:

davews

Waterloo to Martins Heron this afternoon (1550 ex WAT) first ticket check for some time. A pair of revenue officers. It seems they found some issues further down our carriage and he was there for a while sorting things out whatever it was.

Chriso

EMR today

Derby-Sheffield (no check)
Sheffield - Nottingham (No check)
Nottingham - Derby (XC No check)
Derby - Leicester (No check)
Leicester - Kettering (No Check)
Kettering - Bedford (No check)

Should note gates working at Derby, Leicester, Nottingham (pointless as other exits unstaffed as always) and Bedford

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Waterloo to Martins Heron this afternoon (1550 ex WAT) first ticket check for some time. A pair of revenue officers. It seems they found some issues further down our carriage and he was there for a while sorting things out whatever it was.

"what do you mean Oyster isn't valid to *insert barrierless station here*?" ;)

davews

Admittedly I have no idea what the issue was, it was well out of earshot. But it might be significant that the ticket checks were after we had left Feltham.

Chriso

GA now staffing Liv St gatelines until 10pm Mon-Fri & Midnight Sat. Also chatting to the chap @ Tottenham Hale tonight there also staffing the gates until 23:30 Mon-Sat. Cambridge was also still working when I caught the 21:03 to Liv St

Only disappointment was the Stortford gateline where the main ones were working but the overbridge open rendering the whole thing pointless. Suspect staff member no 2 should have been upstairs rather than chatting to her colleague downstairs (observed at 18:10 and 21:40)

Hate to be pedantic but you really do wonder how management allow this to happen. Hardly difficult to check. I suspect typical railway problem of extremely weak management

Chriso

GA now staffing Liv St gatelines until 10pm Mon-Fri & Midnight Sat. Also chatting to the chap @ Tottenham Hale tonight there also staffing the gates until 23:30 Mon-Sat. Cambridge was also still working when I caught the 21:03 to Liv St

Only disappointment was the Stortford gateline where the main ones were working but the overbridge open rendering the whole thing pointless. Suspect staff member no 2 should have been upstairs rather than chatting to her colleague downstairs (observed at 18:10 and 21:40)

Butts

Veteran Member
Not been on here for a while but a quick Scotrail update.

Guards are actively checking/selling tickets even on the earliest services - ie 0608 Haymarket to Falkirk Saturday Morning.

Position has completely reversed no checks are now the exception to the rule.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yesterday checked by GWR twice heading towards Cardiff (although I did swap into an empty unit at Westbury), coming back they checked between Cardiff & Bristol Parkway but after Parkway hid away (I'm guessing the staff swapped over at Parkway).

As expected nothing on TfW services, was at Queen Street when a train from the massive revenue hole of Cardiff Bay rolled in and that emptied out (good 50 passengers).

Looked like the barriers on the Cardiff bound platform at Cathays were open when I passed.

Carlton-Crewe no
Crewe-Stafford no
Stafford-Crewe to my surprise yes
Crewe-Carlton no
Had to buy tickets at Crewe,good job i'm honest,I could have spent the day at Crewe for nothing
Just how much revenue is being lost?

Chriso

I believe checks are very inconsistent on all operators which is annoying as it just makes the job of the decent guards more difficult

I believe the only 2 left not doing any sort of on train revenue are TFW and possibly Chiltern?. I have not seen a guard on the Birmingham route since pre-Covid

Veteran Member
Cambrian coast on Tuesday.
Thorough checks both ways from friendly guards.
On the morning train her duties including reminding passengers at Barmouth that they still had time to buy a ticket before boarding, and helping a passenger to set up the TfW app so they could buy on board - policy is to encourage people to buy rather than strictly enforce the buy-before-boarding rule. Not selling tickets, but compliance was pretty much 100%.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
One random check in the front unit of a 6-car Hazel Grove to Blackpool North last week. I always travel in the front set.
Otherwise no checks on trains in the past month apart from when a Southport to Alderley Edge was 2-car

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Hull - Leeds (TPE) - front 185 on a 6 car so of course nothing
Leeds - Manchester Victoria (TPE) - checked after Leeds
Manchester Victoria - Blackburn (Northern) - nothing
Blackburn - Rochdale (Northern) - nothing
Rochdale - Manchester Victoria (Northern) - checked
Manchester Victoria - Blackburn (Northern) - checked between Salford Crescent and Bolton
Blackburn - Preston (Northern) - not checked but I saw the guard out checking other people's tickets (didn't get to me before they had to retreat to the cab to do doors)
Preston - Wigan North Western (Northern) - front 331 on a 6 car so of course nothing
Wigan North Western - Preston (Northern) - checked after Wigan
Preston - Blackpool South (Northern) - checked on leaving Preston
Blackpool South - Preston (Northern) - checked after St Annes-on-Sea
Preston - Lancaster (Avanti) - nothing
Lancaster - Morecambe (Northern) - checked between Lancaster and Bare Lane
Morecambe - Lancaster (Northern) - checked between Bare Lane and Lancaster
Lancaster - Leeds (Northern) - checked between Lancaster and Carnforth
Leeds - Doncaster (LNER) - nothing
Doncaster - Hull (Northern) - nothing

Better than I was expecting from Northern in the north west to be honest.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yesterday:
SWR 1/2
London Northwestern 0/3
(including London to Crewe going from an unbarriered platform at Euston, gateline in use at Crewe)
Chiltern 0/3
TfW 0/2 (was surprised there wasn't an announcement made at Wolverhampton that the train wouldn't be calling at Telford etc as it went via Stafford)
West Midlands 0/4

Barriers at New Street were wide open at 4:50pm, Moor Street was closed at 5:10 but open when the 68 paused

Today:
XC 0/1
Northern 1/8
EMR 0/1
TPE 2/3
Avanti 0/1
TfW 0/2
Merseyrail 0/2 (but security staff were present as they grabbed someone who missed the lesson at school at how to sit and was resting his feet on the seat opposite)

HST274

Yesterday 17/07

Worcester foregate street to Worcestershire Parkway- no
Worcestershire Parkway to Birmingham New Street where train was cancelled- yes
Birmingham New Street to nottingham- no
Nottingham to mansfield- no

96tommy

5 return evening journeys from King's Cross to York with LNER this last month, no ticket check at all. Barriers always been open when returning to King's Cross (approx 10pm)

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Today was slightly better
Northern 3/4 (excluding the short trips between Manchester & Salford)
LNER 0/1
SWR 0/2 (did see the guard but he was stressed due to communication breakdown as the busy Bristol part of the service was cancelled after Salisbury)

ABB125

Established Member
I've just had a ticket check, within two minutes of boarding the train. Good work by GWR (though admittedly I was the only person to board, and there are currently only three other passengers!).

There was, however, a "face coverings must be worn" announcement.

ABB125

Established Member
I must say, I'm impressed by GWR's ticket checking. I'm now on my second train of the day, and the guard is coming past after every stop. Makes a change from previous experience.

Chriso

It will be interesting to see if ticket checks increase much from today. I believe most TOCs are moving from voluntary to compulsory ticket checks from today Monday 19/07/21

Aictos

Established Member
SE are out and about doing onboard ticket checks, have yet to see TL do any but at the moment, the priority for TL is not onboard checks but rather ensuring people get used to buying a ticket before they travel by carrying out revenue blockades at well known hot spots for fare evasion, this is because for over a year, it's been more or less a free for all with little to no ticket checks being done onboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.