• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvordan

I've been travelling into London from either Tring or Wendover twice weekly for the past couple months and have only had my ticket checked once on a LNWR service into Euston last week. No checks at all on Chiltern trains but the gates at Marylebone are usually always closed, Euston however often has the gates open and of course sometimes there's no gates at all.

edit: Might I add that the guard who checked my ticket on the LNWR service was absolutely amazing, very friendly and making other passengers feel safe and welcome back to the railways. An absolute credit to LNWR.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailWonderer

Established Member
Since April several trips on the GA Norwich IC, only one ticket check. On the GWR I got a check both times coming out of London but none out of two times into London. Avanti and Northern ticket check on every service, TPE 0/3. LNER ticket check only 1 out of 4 journeys. SWR one ticket check out of 4 journeys.

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Did Skipton - Leeds return on Monday 30/Aug/21
Skipton. Bloke let me through as I was running for the train and he had watched me buy the ticket from the TVM (Actually helped me as I needed +bus)
Leeds. Barrier working
On train, ticket checked both ways. He had a ticket machine so clearly expecting to sell tickets.
Paper tickets.

Chriso

I've been travelling into London from either Tring or Wendover twice weekly for the past couple months and have only had my ticket checked once on a LNWR service into Euston last week. No checks at all on Chiltern trains but the gates at Marylebone are usually always closed, Euston however often has the gates open and of course sometimes there's no gates at all.

edit: Might I add that the guard who checked my ticket on the LNWR service was absolutely amazing, very friendly and making other passengers feel safe and welcome back to the railways. An absolute credit to LNWR.
It’s odd during LM days the gateline at Euston plat 8-11 was staffed always and very proffesionaly but since LNW have taken over in my experience the gateline is generally open (or wide gates plugged open both sides) with the revenue staff standing around talking. Similar situation at Watford Junction. MK Central and Northampton still seem to be staffed properly. Never really use Hemel or Bletchley so couldn’t comment on either. Another example of deterioration under Abellio

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Round up from today:
Hull - Leeds (TPE): checked between Brough and Selby
Leeds - Huddersfield (TPE): checked after Dewsbury
Huddersfield - Stalybridge (TPE): nothing
Stalybridge - Stockport (Northern): checked upon leaving Stalybridge
Stockport - Stalybridge (Northern): checked between Stockport and Reddish South
Stalybridge - Manchester Victoria (Northern): nothing
Manchester Piccadilly - Romiley (Northern): nothing (although front set)
Romiley - Ashburys (Northern): checked between Romiley and Bredbury
Ashburys - Hadfield (Northern): nothing
Hadfield - Manchester Piccadilly (Northern): checked between Glossop and Dinting
Manchester Piccadilly - Sheffield (EMR): checked between Stockport and Sheffield
Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly (EMR): checked between Sheffield and Stockport
Manchester Piccadilly - Sheffield (EMR): nothing
Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly (EMR): checked between Sheffield and Stockport
Manchester Piccadilly - Sheffield (EMR): nothing
Sheffield - Hull (Northern): nothing

Kite159

Veteran Member
Scotrail yesterday, around 33% checked if that. Lots of revenue walking out at Motherwell

Although when a train from Lanark arrived into platform 1 the staff did send any passengers towards the gateline on platform 3.

Kite159

Veteran Member
SWR - yes
GWR (Basingstoke - Reading) - yes
XC - Nope
GWR (Oxford to Worcester) - nope
West Midlands - Nope, even though train was nonstop from Droitwich Spa to New Street

Gates wide open at New Street

AntoniC

10/09/21 I travelled
Duffield to Derby EMR Regional yes
Derby to Sheffield EMR no
Sheffield to Man Picc TPE no
Man Picc to Southport Northern yes

Chriso

London to Margate and back yesterday. Nothing but barriers each way at Victoria. Didn’t even see any South Eastern on board staff all day. My friend who boarded/departed at Bromley South also advised gates there were open both ways.

coxy

10/09 - Kings Cross to Edinburgh direct with LNER. No checks. Train manager busy checking 1st class, selling upgrades too.

Gates at Kings Cross were open as well. No gates to pass through at Edinburgh.

12/09 - Edinburgh - Kings Cross again direct with LNER. Train full due to previous southbound service being cancelled at short notice. No reservations being honoured, first come first served. No checks again.

No gates at Edinburgh, and again gates at Kings Cross were open.

Chriso

It’s amazing how pointless the Kings X plat 0-8 gateline is due to staff just standing around talking and not actually manning the gates and checking tickets. There are always gates open and the whole situation is utterly pointless they should either do it properly or just get rid of them. Whoever is in charge really needs to get a new job this has been going on for years.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Trip to South Wales on Saturday, the vast majority of trains I got checked. Even on a pair of Turbos between Newport & Cardiff when I was in the front unit

Barriers in use at Cardiff Central all the times I went through, but Pontypridd only had the barriers on the Platform 1/2 section working.

_toommm_

Established Member
Did the 08:30 from Leeds to Edinburgh yesterday - ticket check after Leeds, and ticket check between Newcastle and Carlisle. Travelled on the 16:08 back to York, just one ticket check on the Suburban Line; and the 21:08 York to Leeds with a ticket check also.

LowLevel

Established Member
Did a few trips today but most of them were either full and standing or very short hops so not seen many ticket inspections. Kudos to the conductor in charge of the 1500 HST from Cardiff to Taunton, she was up and down the train constantly. Same with the 1859 Swindon to Bristol IET - very keen ticket examiner covering the whole train from Swindon, Chippenham and Bath.

At the very least there were staff floating about almost all of the trains I used (I'll forgive the stopper between Bristol Temple Meads and Parkway in the afternoon peak, with 4 stops in 5 miles, no one joined anywhere really although plenty got off and it was a 3 car 166 so a bit awkward).

Only exception was an XC train between Cheltenham and Cardiff where the only thing heard from the guard was some very short and sweet announcements, the presence in the train being left to the again perfectly affable catering host.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Friday:
Checked on SWR towards Basingstoke, nothing on both GWR services barriers at Paddington were open at the top bridge on platform 2

Saturday:
Checked on the LNR Crewe train after Rugby, guard caught at least half a dozen out with no tickets or tickets for the wrong service. Train went from unbarriered platform at Euston but disappeared after Nuneaton
Nothing on Avanti to Manchester or Northern to Blackpool (although I was in the front of a pair of 331s, couldn't help noticing Layton seemed to be very popular). staff at Blackpool 'checking' tickets (not that closely) but exit via the side gate

Sunday
Barriers at Blackpool, but no check on the 195 towards Preston, nor on the Pendon to Crewe. The LNR had a guard who appeared a couple times around Stafford but no check. Went into unbarriered platform at Euston.
Barriers at Waterloo working but no check on the Portsmouth train and barriers at Guildford were open.

greyman42

Established Member
It’s amazing how pointless the Kings X plat 0-8 gateline is due to staff just standing around talking and not actually manning the gates and checking tickets. There are always gates open and the whole situation is utterly pointless they should either do it properly or just get rid of them. Whoever is in charge really needs to get a new job this has been going on for years.
I travelled on 28/9 on the 1335 from York to Kings Cross. No ticket checks and the barriers at King Cross were open despite there appearing to be plenty of staff around.
Incidentally on leaving York, the staff member making the announcements stated that masks needed to be worn. A complaint has gone in.

Chriso

Ticket check on 11:07 Banbury to Birmingham today , looked like an RPI rather than guard though. Had a TC by a TFW guard on the 18:25 New St-Wolverhampton in the front unit (gangway closed too). Usual rubbish @ New St with the main gatelines working but Nav ST @ Hill St open (WTF is the point of these gatelines but the benefit of fare evaders anyway!!!!). Coventry gateline fully operational. Did have a check on WMR between Kidderminster and Stourbridge Junction but they still have not managed to employ any staff to operate the gates at Wolverhampton

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yesterday:
Single 159 towards Salisbury - completely rammed so no check
GWR to Southampton Nothing
SWR to Eastleigh, guard visible but no check

Today:
Early morning SWR to St Denys got checked, nothing on the Portsmouth stopper nor the GWR to Brighton. OBS on an Ore service checked tickets but wasn't paying attention [accidently showed him the previous day ticket], nothing on South Eastern [barriers wide open at Canterbury East & Ashford]. Checked on the Redhill service [from Tonbridge], also on the GWR towards North Camp. SWR checked between Ash Vale & Brookwood, nothing on the Basingstoke stopper but the Salisbury service was checked.

SteveM70

Established Member
Edinburgh - Tweedbank - Galashiels - Edinburgh today without a conductor anywhere to be seen

_toommm_

Established Member
Leeds to Sheffield on CrossCountry checked on Tuesday. Guard was definitely on it in the rear set.

No check Sheffield to Doncaster nor Doncaster to Leeds on Northern and LNER going back. Northern had some drunkards though on it so that’s understandable.

John Luxton

Established Member
In the last three weeks I have made two Crewe - Liverpool journeys and one Liverpool - Crewe journey with LNWR. - No ticket check though guard did walk through train to a different set of doors at one point.
I given the low price now that I have an over 60s railcard I had bought a first class but one of the journeys one of my fellow travellers gave me the impression she was probably "bunking in" and a ticket check might have proved my suspicions correct. :D

On Sunday my trip from Liverpool to Crewe was completely unchecked. Platform 10 at Liverpool is open and at Crewe the ticket gates were all open with no staff in attendance. However, when I returned to the station in the afternoon the gates were closed and what looked like a BTP or Security Yellow Coat - hard to tell was on the platform side of the gates keeping an eye on things.

Back in September I spent a couple of days wandering around Cornwall on a GWR Day Ranger and GWR appeared very thorough with ticket checks - or course they do serve quite a few unstaffed stations. Guards passed through checking people several times - though tended to remember people they had seen on previous passes.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Checked on SWR this morning, plus a revenue block at Salisbury (to check tickets for those transferring platforms without going via the barriers).

Checked twice on GWR (between Westbury & Trowbridge, plus Filton & Newport).

Nothing whatsoever on TfW Rail, I assume they have been told to cease revenue due to the high number of cases? Barriers at Pontypridd open around 6pm and Queen Street was wide open around 20:50 (no idea if that's normal?)

-----

Day 2 in Wales.

Started well with 3 checks on the morning Pembroke Dock train (from Cardiff, change of guards), plus on the way back towards Whitland. Checked both ways on the Milford Haven branch but nothing on the Fishguard trains.

Checked between Carmarthen & Pembrey on a busy pair of 153s from Milford Haven, but no sign of the guard other than that. Nothing on the valley lines (to/from Radyr & Hengoed, nor towards Ebbw Vale but was checked on the way back.

Lots of lost revenue I reckon

Last edited:

317 forever

Established Member
Yesterday I travelled Heaton Chapel - Stockport - Crewe - Wolverhampton then Sutton Coldfield - Birmingham New Street - Stockport - Heaton Chapel. No ticket checks anywhere, although I did need my ticket to open the gate at Wolverhampton.

Wolfie

Established Member
Yesterday I travelled Heaton Chapel - Stockport - Crewe - Wolverhampton then Sutton Coldfield - Birmingham New Street - Stockport - Heaton Chapel. No ticket checks anywhere, although I did need my ticket to open the gate at Wolverhampton.
Good grief, have they finally started using the gates at Wolvo?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good grief, have they finally started using the gates at Wolvo?
Ticket sales to/from Bilbrook has unexpectedly increased :lol:

Wales day 3
Checked both ways on the Caerphilly train, guard coming round after each station, nothing towards Hereford but checked on the way back (between Hereford & Abergavenny but no sight afterwards, barriers were in use at Hereford).

Nothing on the Maesteg line both ways. GWR towards Carmarthen, checked between Swansea & Llanelli outward and before Ferryside coming back with the guard coming through a couple more times. Nothing on the Swansea - Cardiff leg.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Ha which time did you leave HTC? I was on the 12:15 to Blackpool North as far as Occy Road. No check in the fromt set of a 6-car 331 formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.