• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Full grip on service leaving KGX yesterday evening (knowing who it was, not surprised)

Still the exception rather than the rule though.
My only check so far has been by someone who denied @OwlMan the right to travel via Peterborough on a ticket via Peterborough; you'll know by that if it was the same person ;)

I had a check on the 0957 from Bristol TM towards (but terminated short of) Paddington this morning.

So far, the vast majority of my on board checks in the past few months have been on GWR. In fact I've had 5 checks on GWR in the past week or so. Dozens of journeys on Northern/TPE with no checks (except one on TPE)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Been to London and back from Cheltenham, no ticket checks but barriers now in operation at Cheltenham. Had a ticket check on a TPE train 2 weeks ago.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
My only check so far has been by someone who denied @OwlMan the right to travel via Peterborough on a ticket via Peterborough; you'll know by that if it was the same person ;)

I had a check on the 0957 from Bristol TM towards (but terminated short of) Paddington this morning.

So far, the vast majority of my on board checks in the past few months have been on GWR. In fact I've had 5 checks on GWR in the past week or so. Dozens of journeys on Northern/TPE with no checks (except one on TPE)

Condolences to the affected east of Reading. Don't forget our Avanti a few weeks ago.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The barriers have always been in operation at Cheltenham throughout the pandemic.
Really? Because I found the absolute opposite at Cheltenham until very recently (not seen them in use there since February but I haven't used it in the last month or so).

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Really? Because I found the absolute opposite at Cheltenham until very recently (not seen them in use there since February but I haven't used it in the last month or so).

Yes, I'm currently in the middle of house hunting in Cheltenham and I was attending house viewings very often through early stages of lockdown and on almost all occasions the barriers were in use (and that was from 10am through to 7pm!).

Not sure if they opened them in the afternoon but they were almost always in use at morning and evening peak.

Scott W

Out of traveling on circa 50 trains over the last six weeks for a combination of pleasure and business with XC, EMR, Northern, GWR and TFW, a total of three on board checks. Two of these were in first class on XC when all the standard class allocation had sold out, and the other was a pre departure on train check on a local service at Paignton. At the larger stations such as Cardiff, York, Plymouth and Exeter there were also exit checks.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The barriers have always been in operation at Cheltenham throughout the pandemic.
They weren't when I was there, though that was a couple of months ago.

No check on the rather empty 2100 from Kings Cross (towards Newcastle) last night and no check on my (again rather empty) TPE from York this morning.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
They weren't when I was there, though that was a couple of months ago.

No check on the rather empty 2100 from Kings Cross (towards Newcastle) last night and no check on my (again rather empty) TPE from York this morning.

To be fair, it could have been that was just a sheer coincidence!

MrJeeves

Established Member
I’ve seen the open gate thing at Brighton on my two trips there recently, yet coming back for the return journey the barriers have been in operation

Brighton's got a consistent exit freely, re-enter via the barriers system going on.

They alternate between exiting via the left (old taxi rank) and right (one archway at the front of the station) depending the largest flow through the station.

I rarely see ticket inspections on GTR anymore. To and from Brighton and London a few times this month: no checks at all, no guards in sight, however, ticket barriers have been in operation all the time.

Last edited:

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Fairly recently I did 4 days of travelling, so I shall summarise it in terms of ticket checks.

I reported earlier up the thread about full checks on a Northern service between York and Hull, which was the only check I encountered on that day (first on the trip).

On the second day I was checked on the first Northern service of the day between Hull and Sheffield, on a service between Cleethorpes and Barton-on-Humber (and on the return working) and on a TPE service between Grimsby Town and Doncaster.

I was checked on the third day on a TPE service between Leeds and Middlesbrough (twice, although by different guards), and on a TPE service between Leeds and Hull (with an announcement over the PA at Leeds about how Northern-only tickets were not valid on that service and the manner with which my ticket was inspected, this particular guard must've been rather keen to say the least). Nothing from Northern.

On the fourth day I was checked by revenue protection going between York and Scarborough (and witnessed a Penalty Fare being awarded, although in that circumstance I believe it was perfectly justified) and was checked twice at Scarborough station, although I was not checked heading back to York. I was then checked on another TPE service heading to Leeds (at around Neville Hill), and that was the last check of the day I received.

I boarded several CrossCountry services and received no inspection of my ticket, and on no Northern services apart from the two exceptions I mentioned above (I even managed to do Newcastle-Whitby in one go without my ticket being checked). It would certainly be better if both TOCs got ticket checks up and running sooner rather than later.

_toommm_

Established Member
As August rounds to a close, I've travelled 2,000 miles this month, and have had only one, possibly two ticket checks throughout my whole time, all with TPE. Very surprised on this evening's Leeds to Birmingham trip, a journey of 162 miles, to not get checked once (although face coverings and use of window seats only was checked after every station call).

Belperpete

Established Member
While TfW don't seem to be doing on-board ticket checks (guards not passing through trains), they do seem to be stepping up their checks at stations. A couple of days ago, they were doing checks on the platform at Shrewsbury on people changing trains.

VicH

Barriers in operation at Chelmsford,Ipswich & Norwich on Saturday.
No ticket checks on my 3 journeys, but they were never checked before Covid!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I did check with my friend who worked there and he said they weren't in use throughout and have only just been brought back in to use. Gloucester's were in use throughout, I believe.

Gloucester's have been yes. The only reason I know of Cheltenham is because I have no tickets as evidence as they were swallowed by the barriers. Everywhere else I've been that have not had barriers in use I've still got the tickets from.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Tickets not checked once yesterday, and I did:

Scotrail Dumfries - Carlisle
Avanti Carlisle - Penrith
TPE Penrith - Carlisle
TPE Carlisle - Edinburgh
Scotrail Edinburgh - Wallyford
Scotrail Wallyford - Edinburgh
Scotrail Edinburgh - Dalmeny
Scotrail Dalmeny - Edinburgh
LNER Edinburgh - Perth
Scotrail Perth - Edinburgh Gateway
Scotrail Edinburgh Park - Edinburgh
Scotrail Edinburgh - Wester Hailes
Scotrail Wester Hailes - Edinburgh

Not ONE ticket check onboard any service, barriers in use at Waverley and Haymarket, but no ticket check (or ticket sales) onboard.

Only onboard check was actually on Edinburgh trams between Edinburgh Gateway and Edinburgh Park

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I went to Bristol on Sunday. No ticket check on the way out but did on the way back.

My assumption is that guards on long-distance services are thinking that people must have valid tickets as major stations have barriers in use, but probably don't take into account the fact that people could be starting their journey from a small suburban station.

I've seen a lot of people panic buy on their phones!

I was on one service from Paddington the other day and the guard just glanced at my ticket in seconds, told him I was going to show my railcard on my phone and he said 'oh don't worry mate as long as you've got something' :lol:

route101

Established Member
I had my first onboard ticket check on the 0906 from Glasgow to Carlisle tpe this morning.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Full and quite in-depth ticket inspection on LNER Edinburgh - London today.

route101

Established Member
I had my first onboard ticket check on the 0906 from Glasgow to Carlisle tpe this morning.

Plus none on avanti from Carlisle to Glasgow, though you rarely get checked in normal times. Was lucky i had TPE only off peak return when i noticed.

No check to get into Carlisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.