• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Plus none on avanti from Carlisle to Glasgow, though you rarely get checked in normal times. Was lucky i had TPE only off peak return when i noticed.

No check to get into Carlisle.
Yes I noticed they’ve stopped doing the station checks at Carlisle, not a bad thing as it’s a nice station to visit just to watch trains.

Today’s observations:

Took SWR Clapham Junction - Woking and return, no checks (obviously barriers were in use though)

Took LNWR Euston - Watford, Watford - Hemel Hempstead, Hemel Hempstead - Berkhamsted, Berkhamsted - Cheddington and Cheddington - Milton Keynes Central, not one ticket check.

Took Avanti Milton Keynes Central - Euston (in first class), no ticket check.

Took GWR London - Reading (And my word they make every other IET look nice, the green is horrific!), checks in both directions.

Took a AGA 360 Liverpool Street - Stratford and no Check (never had a check on this route)

Took a SE 395 Stratford International - St Pancras, no ticket check

Currently on a Chiltern 168 from Banbury - Marylebone after catching a Chiltern Silver 68 from Marylebone - Banbury, no checks (yet)

Wow, I have taken a LOT of trains today o_O

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Yes I noticed they’ve stopped doing the station checks at Carlisle, not a bad thing as it’s a nice station to visit just to watch trains.

Today’s observations:

Took SWR Clapham Junction - Woking and return, no checks (obviously barriers were in use though)

Took LNWR Euston - Watford, Watford - Hemel Hempstead, Hemel Hempstead - Berkhamsted, Berkhamsted - Cheddington and Cheddington - Milton Keynes Central, not one ticket check.

Took Avanti Milton Keynes Central - Euston (in first class), no ticket check.

Took GWR London - Reading (And my word they make every other IET look nice, the green is horrific!), checks in both directions.

Took a AGA 360 Liverpool Street - Stratford and no Check (never had a check on this route)

Took a SE 395 Stratford International - St Pancras, no ticket check

Currently on a Chiltern 168 from Banbury - Marylebone after catching a Chiltern Silver 68 from Marylebone - Banbury, no checks (yet)

Wow, I have taken a LOT of trains today o_O

That sounds like a good day out!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Are you booking things as you go?

I reccomend the isle of Wight for 38 stock.
Normally booking for a few of weeks in advance (I just booked today for the sleeper on 25/09), I’ll definitely have to head to the isle sometime!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tickets checked on my York to London train this morning.

There were 2 people sat at my allocated table, so I complied with Government guidelines by moving to the unreserveable coach. A revenue inspector did engage with various passengers over issues with their seat reservations and LNER staff had their passes checked and photographed and I was expecting a discussion about me not sitting in my assigned seat, but the ticket was instantly accepted, so I was glad not to get into a discussion about that :)

This is only the second time I've actually been checked on LNER, as the last time a check was announced, they walked past the seats where I was to get to 1st class and never returned.

My only check by an LNER Guard was by someone who many know as being extremely 'keen' and has rejected many staff passes and even made LNER staff complete boxes for short hop journeys. Good job I wasn't using one of my loophole tickets and it was just a bog standard Advance ;) :lol:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ticket checked on both outward and return from New Street-Coventry today in Avanti 1st, outward guard paid lots of attention to my ticket too (just a simple 1st class return from Birmingham to Cov).

MDB1images

Some TOCs restarted on board checks in the last 2-3 weeks, some haven't restarted them yet.

The on board checks may not be as consistent as it was was pre Covid so you may see some variations in how staff do ticket checks based on each individual staff members assessment of risk, this will also reflect individual TOCs Covid methods of work.
Still early days with some challenges being ironed out.

greyman42

Established Member
My only check by an LNER Guard was by someone who many know as being extremely 'keen' and has rejected many staff passes and even made LNER staff complete boxes for short hop journeys.
On what grounds would they have rejected staff passes?

DDB

I had my first COVID-19 era on board ticket check on an EMR train (local service) this afternoon on my regular commute. I've been checked a few times on the platforms at Nottingham before but this was the first on train check.

williamn

I've just come back from a few days in Lincoln and it was apparent from a few journeys - to Market Rasen and Sleaford, that no ticket checks are being carried out on the train or on stations, including Lincoln aside from the mornings, and that no tickets are being sold on-train either.

There are clearly huge numbers of people travelling without a ticket, not because they don't want to buy one but because they have no means to - most stations in the are are unstaffed and crew on board are not selling them.

It worries me that not only is huge amounts of revenue being lost but also that many many journeys are not being recorded. If cuts to the railways need to be made post COVID then it could well be these rural areas that suffer because it looks like no-one is using them, when in fact they are, they're just not able to buy a ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
]...There are clearly huge numbers of people travelling without a ticket, not because they don't want to buy one but because they have no means to - most stations in the are are unstaffed and crew on board are not selling them....
Quite. No working facility at Horden when I was there earlier this week, no-one selling tickets on the train, no-one selling tickets where I got off that train.

Chriso

Looks like a huge joint SWR RPI /BTP Operation @ Waterloo with gatelines being observed and any wrong doing been dealt with. Good to see

Ridercross

At Tenby last Saturday which is normally unstaffed there were ticket inspectors checking all those coming in and out of the station. With all the daytrippers and holiday makers for the Bank Holiday weekend this was a shrewd move by TfW to prevent lost revenue. There was also a guy with a machine at a table selling tickets too. Of course I had a ticket so sailed straight through.

greyman42

Established Member
I did a York-London return yesterday. No checks either way but the barriers were working at Kings Cross on my outward journey.

317 forever

Established Member
Been to London and back from Cheltenham, no ticket checks but barriers now in operation at Cheltenham. Had a ticket check on a TPE train 2 weeks ago.

I had a tour of inner West England last week including 2 nights in Cheltenham. This enabled me to have a side trip to Swindon. Train staff regularly walked through the outbound train and may have checked masks but not tickets.

Last Sunday I travelled from Patchway (due to engineering works effecting some lines at Bristol Parkway) to Reading. There an inspector did look at our tickets without stamping them. He advised a lady she should wear her mask but was not heavy-handed or anything. Talking of which, I forgot to put mine on a I entered Swindon station, a lady gently asked if I had a face covering, so I put mine on and out of courtesy apologised for being late putting it on.

On my Avanti train on the Bank Holiday the inspector did stamp my ticket. Admittedly this was an off-peak return not an Advance.

I also rode 2 Northern and 2 Cross Country trains, but no inspection on either.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Ticket check on the GWR Pompey to Cardiff service yesterday, between Pompey and Southampton.

Butts

Veteran Member
Still no checks on Scotrail as of this morning

Nothing new there !!

Perversely I was asked for my ticket upon boarding a Rail Replacement Coach this Morning from Edinburgh Park to Falkirk Grahamston by the driver.

Should have seen the look on his face when I produced my smartcard <D

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Been back on trains once or twice a week for 6 weeks or so now, and still no inspections other than at barriers.

DorkingMain

Majority of TOCs are still taking the attitude of:

a) No revenue checks, stay in the cab or only leave for operational reasons / security checks
b) Check tickets, but don't sell them (most guards work on commission - who is going to do this? Plus what happens when you encounter someone who couldn't buy one?)
c) You can take out revenue equipment and check/sell tickets at your own risk (again, most probably aren't going to take up this option)

On note C there was an Avanti train manager on my journey today who was very enthusiastically checking tickets.

BasildonBob

I had my ticket checked on a mid-morning train between Reading and Paddington last week.

Last edited by a moderator:

M7R

GWR are checking on train and selling on the train in Devon and Cornwall, was there for 2 weeks end of Aug and it was business as usual

Cletus

Established Member
Yesterday and today have used Southeastern, Avanti, Northern, EMR, TFW. TPE and Merseyrail.

Only had one sighting of anyone walking through a train and that was on Merseyrail when there was a ticket check by 2 revenue protection(or similar) gents.

ASharpe

They have been selling tickets between Shipley and Leeds again recently and some guards are doing half heated checks on tickets.

Seen a few people pulled up on masks and one person refused boarding at Frizinghall for not having one.

Pete 1981

I was out all day in Yorkshire and must have ridden on 15 or so trains and only had to produce my ticket once on a TPE service. Nothing on Northern or LNER.

Emaharg

I have been checked on ten services out of 24 since Monday. In summary :
Avanti 3 times 100%.
Cross Country 3 times across two services 100%
TPE 4 times out of 6 trains.
Scotrail 1 out of 6 trains.
GWR 0 checks 1 train only
SWR 0 checks 1 train only
Northern 0 checks 2 trains only
TFW 0 Checks 1 train only
LNER 0 checks 2 trains.

So quite a mixed bag. Avanti are checking prior to departure and the same train manager after departure.

Killingworth

Established Member
On all my recent journeys with TPE South Pennine my tickets have been checked and there was also barrier checking at Cleethorpes both in and out.

On more frequent journeys with Northern I've seen no staff oustide of cabs and no inspection or sale of tickets. However, yesterday afternoon incoming passengers at Sheffield from the Hope Valley may have had a surprise when arriving into Platform 7. A 4 man revenue protection team. I was able to observe while waiting to take the return train. Nearly everyone was able to produce a valid ticket and maybe half were able to find theirs on smartphone apps.

IMG_20200909_160611.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.