• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HBP

3 ticket checks out of 4 trains yesterday. Two on LNER and one on Northern. All within a few minutes of boarding. Seems back to normal.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Didn't have a single ticket check on XC yesterday between Cardiff and Worcestershire Parkway, but on GWR between Worcestershire Parkway and Evesham an inspection took place literally as I sat down and before we'd even pulled off!

Chriso

London to Tunbridge Wells today. Gates working at London Bridge and Tunbridge Wells. On return again gates working at Tunbridge Wells but open @ Tonbridge. Took the scenic route back via Redhill where the gates at Redhill (main entrance) were operational and again @ St Pancras low level. Still seems South Eastern and Southern are still not doing on board checks as the trains I travelled on were dead and I did not see any guards at any point.

delighted to see a very clean class 20 8188 in service on the Spa Valley

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Had ticket checks on the majority of services that I travelled on yesterday (mostly EMR with a few Northern). Quite refreshing to see in my opinion.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
A Northern guard did a ticket check on a Leeds to Sheffield service yesterday on the departure from Leeds, and questioned a fellow who needed to purchase a single on how he got through the barriers on Leeds station. So no messing!

AJW12

Spent two weeks on the ScotRail network without as much as a single check... barriers at most stations in operation though, and at the gateless platforms at Edinburgh, staff were checking everyone before boarding.

However, on the LNER service back down to Kings X, BTP boarded the service at Newcastle and at York, to remove passengers - after York I had my tickets checked and after remarking to the guard it was the first time since February that I'd had a ticket checked on a train, he remarked that five people had been removed from this train alone for not having valid tickets. Reckoned "people have had a good run".

route101

Established Member
Spent two weeks on the ScotRail network without as much as a single check... barriers at most stations in operation though, and at the gateless platforms at Edinburgh, staff were checking everyone before boarding.

However, on the LNER service back down to Kings X, BTP boarded the service at Newcastle and at York, to remove passengers - after York I had my tickets checked and after remarking to the guard it was the first time since February that I'd had a ticket checked on a train, he remarked that five people had been removed from this train alone for not having valid tickets. Reckoned "people have had a good run".

Scotrail have are not doing checks, no idea when they will resume.

Overhead two people other day saying they buy a return from Edinburgh Park to Edinburgh to get through barriers on Glasgow to Edinburgh journey. Must be lot of people buying a return from last station before terminus to get a cheaper fare.

DelW

Established Member
Did an Isle of Wight trip yesterday, tickets checked on three of my mainland trains, but not on the island.
Travelling on Island Line on Saturday, trains had notices in the vestibules stating that guards would be resuming revenue duties from today (Mon 12th October).

A third of one coach was taped off for guard's use only, not sure if that will still be the case if they need to move through the train.

spark001uk

Established Member

Makes me so mad that does. The guards have been staying in their cabs to protect the passengers (and themselves) during these terrible times, and how do these people repay them? Well, by not paying. Thieving [insert expletives here].

crablab

I boarded an LNER service at Peterborough today, and two RPIs also joined the train who proceeded to walk down the train checking tickets and reservations.

A couple of people in my coach had tickets without railcards, and therefore had to purchase a new ticket onboard.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Been travelling between Euston and Milton Keynes Central for the last 4 days. Tickets were only checked on my Monday morning Avanti West Coast train to Milton Keynes Central.

spark001uk

Established Member
Nothing on GTR all this week. Stations barriers functioning except on Sunday evening.
I haven't had a thameslink on board check for about three years now. And that was only once.

On another toc note, swr seem to be getting back to normal, I saw a guard with his blue ticket machine over his shoulder on a pompey the other day. He was dispatching his train, but I assume he wouldn't have been wearing it for nothing.

Chriso

I also noticed at Leatherhead on Saturday night an SWR guard with ticket machine working a down service. This surprised me as I always thought the Dorking Route was worked by non commercial guards

just had a check by guard on the 15:02 Paddington - Reading

bramling

Veteran Member
I haven't had a thameslink on board check for about three years now. And that was only once.

It was reasonably common on the GN side before, normally between Hitchin and Finsbury Park. IIRC there's RPIs based at Hitchin. I'd say it was normal to be checked on about one in four journeys, though never experienced it in the evening after about 2000 (except occasional station blocks, but never on train). I was surprised to be checked on train about one week into the lockdown, I think it was stopped soon after that.

johntea

Established Member
Northern seem back to business as usual, amusing that quite a few passengers seem to have lost the definition of the word ‘ticket’ from their dictionary!

I did get a telling off for the crime of cheating the one way system at Leeds last night for making a very tight connection, ironically the only person I got close to was the stair patroller when he clocked on to me...

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Not only is there a ticket check on this LNER service but the TM is (literally) shouting at people for not sitting in assigned seats...

boiledbeans2

I also noticed at Leatherhead on Saturday night an SWR guard with ticket machine working a down service. This surprised me as I always thought the Dorking Route was worked by non commercial guards

just had a check by guard on the 15:02 Paddington - Reading

Recently, I was on a Guildford stopper on a Saturday morning heading to London and encountered a guard doing a ticket check. That surprised me as well.

Butts

Veteran Member
Has anyone had a ticket checked on Scotrail yet ?

After a 2 week hiatus I returned to find seemingly the "hide in the cab" policy is still alive and well with no checks onboard.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Couple of experiences from earlier this week:

No ticket check on West Midlands Railway from Duddeston to Four Oaks around 4pm on Monday: then again I was in the front unit of a 6-car formation.

Ticket check on the West Midlands metro (a misnomer, as it's actually a tram!)

Ticket check on London North Western Railway from Wolverhampton to Birmingham New Street around 3:30pm yesterday

No ticket check on Cross Country from Birmingham New Street to Coventry at 4pm yesterday but I was in the front unit of a 9-car formation

No ticket check on London North Western Railway from Canley to Birmingham New Street around 7pm yesterday

No ticket check on various Cross Country from BNS to Wolverhampton then later on from Wolverhampton to Stockport at 10pm yesterday evening. I was always in the front unit of a double as XC are using predominantly doubles on the South Coast to Manchester workings until the Bristols return

So all in all checks are still very hit and miss.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Travelled with XC to Cheltenham today and no ticket checks, yet my friend travelled the short distance from Worcestershire Parkway to Cheltenham and had a ticket check both ways!

Chriso

I was amazed to encounter 4 DLR rpi’s checking tickets on the exit at Cutty Sark station yesterday afternoon.
The rpi I spoke with said they had resumed activity last week.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I was amazed to encounter 4 DLR rpi’s checking tickets on the exit at Curry Sark station yesterday afternoon.
The rpi I spoke with said they had resumed activity last week.

Curry Sark - did it smell a bit Jalfrezi-ey or vindaloo-ey?:D

No ticket checks on Northern from Heaton Chapel to Manchester on Monday either, I forgot to mention.

DorkingMain

Recently, I was on a Guildford stopper on a Saturday morning heading to London and encountered a guard doing a ticket check. That surprised me as well.

Dorking and Guildford stoppers are worked by a mixture of Waterloo / Wimbledon / Woking / Guildford guards, some of whom are non-commercial and some of whom are commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.