• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chriso

Looks like most on-train revenue activity has ceased again judging by my journeys the last few weeks. Chiltern, WMR/LNW, LNER and TPX all appear to be working from cab only and not walking through trains, however Northern & Avanti guards still seem to be out & about doing tickets.

Could be the last ones to be doing so unless SWR and GWR guards are still doing revenue. Have not been down this way over the last month so wouldn’t know

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Looks like most on-train revenue activity has ceased again judging by my journeys the last few weeks. Chiltern, WMR/LNW, LNER and TPX all appear to be working from cab only and not walking through trains, however Northern & Avanti guards still seem to be out & about doing tickets.

Could be the last ones to be doing so unless SWR and GWR guards are still doing revenue. Have not been down this way over the last month so wouldn’t know

Never restarted on Scotrail - no ticket checks since March.

Chriso

I’m sure it has been the same on TFW, Southern, Thameslink, Great Northern and South Eastern

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I’m sure it has been the same on TFW, Southern, Thameslink, Great Northern and South Eastern

Looks as if ticket checks are soon to restart on TfW services; someone was complaining about it on Twitter yesterday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210105-182029_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210105-182029_Twitter.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 63

spark001uk

Established Member
Call me cynical, but I must admit some of the "health related" queries over ticketing I've seen on twitter etc does smell a bit of them asking "can I get away with it".

Butts

Veteran Member
Call me cynical, but I must admit some of the "health related" queries over ticketing I've seen on twitter etc does smell a bit of them asking "can I get away with it".

People are and have been since March "getting away with it" in droves !!

Killingworth

Established Member
People are and have been since March "getting away with it" in droves !!
And yet on a day I travelled into Sheffield on a Hope Valley line stopper, notorious for alleged fare evasion, there was a blockade by a small army of uniformed staff. I watched and as far as I could see their only difficulty was with those who couldn't pull up the ticket on their phones quickly enough. I'd never seen inspection on the platform at Sheffield for those trains before. Apparently the staff concerned had got bored with the low numbers arriving from the north side.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
My ticket was inspected yesterday on TransPennine Express from Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport.

bramling

Veteran Member

I have to say I was a little uncomfortable with it happening back in March, on GTR it wasn't ceased until a few days into the lockdown IIRC. It's not really possible to conduct a ticket check without breaching the 2 metres, and certainly not the follow-up process should an issue be found.

Certainly locally they have continued doing checks on barrier lines, which I think is a suitable alternative. For a while GTR seemed to have their revenue inspectors simply travelling round sitting on trains, which I thought was a bit silly, but they now seem to be on gatelines.

spark001uk

Established Member
I'm slightly surprised some of the TOCs are so keen with on-boards during this time (in which we should be especially concentrated on protecting ourselves and others), seeing that the gov is still bankrolling them anyway?

johntea

Established Member
Northern were literally straight on the case departing Leeds to Harrogate this morning, ticket inspection literally as soon as the train departed the platform!

Took me by surprise a little as even during normal times they don’t tend to bother until after departing Horsforth for whatever reason

Killingworth

Established Member
Northern were literally straight on the case departing Leeds to Harrogate this morning, ticket inspection literally as soon as the train departed the platform!

Took me by surprise a little as even during normal times they don’t tend to bother until after departing Horsforth for whatever reason
BBC Radio 4's You and Yours consumer programme at 12.20 today featured smart ticketing and TfN's pilot on the Harrogate line. It can be heard on BBC sounds and starts about 9 minutes in. Apparently there was supposed to be more about flexible season tickets with an interview with two or three people who'd used cards. They didn't find anyone who knew about them whod talk.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Unusually, my ticket got checked between Meadowhall-Sheffield today. I was the only passenger to board however.

On the way back my ticket was unchecked but it's a very short journey and the guard had to do all the announcements etc on leaving Sheffield.

The hardest part was buying a ticket in the first place. The desk at the ticket office was unattended for around 5 minutes while I stood and waited, which is a long time to wait. The staff member was very surprised to have a customer.

Also, there were RPI's stationed by platforms 3&4 which seems a bit strange when the shopping centre is basically closed and platform 1 is wide-open and platform 2 has a side exit onto the car park that could be abused.

Chriso

I had a ticket check by 2 x GWR rpi’s on a turbo between Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol TM last Friday. Even more amazing considering there were 1 x rpi at both entrance/exits at Filton Abbey Wood.

From what I could make out on GWR guards are not doing in train revenue but RPIs are still out and about

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I made a journey last weekend (for support bubble purposes) and there was no check on XC but I was checked on Northern. That's been my only journey of 2021 so far.

On my last journey of 2020 I was checked on some of the Northern trains I caught, but not all.

superalbs

Established Member
I had a ticket check by 2 x GWR rpi’s on a turbo between Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol TM last Friday. Even more amazing considering there were 1 x rpi at both entrance/exits at Filton Abbey Wood.

From what I could make out on GWR guards are not doing in train revenue but RPIs are still out and about
I've been checked a couple times this year, I think.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

GWR really are absolute on it with ticket checks now. Got two services last week, a Gloucester to Westbury service where the guard came round virtually straight away (awfully nice chap who was very helpful in providing me with an itinerary to get to Cardiff for work as Lydney was flooded), and then on a 2+4 HST at Filton Abbey Wood I was met with three RPIs virtually as i plonked my bum on the seat!

plymothian

GWR's attitude is very much "it's up to you; we accept your opinion under a dynamic risk assessment", which IMO is very sensible.
Of course, that means someone's dynamic risk assessment stating that 1 person on a train is too risky, but neither does it appease the RMT.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Had a check between Cheadle Hulme and Stockport on Sunday but not yesterday.

greyman42

Established Member
Station staff were doing ticket checks at York today. It has been weeks since any checks were made at York. Will these checks just be random checks or do they have longer term plans?

greyman42

Established Member
Station staff were doing ticket checks at York today. It has been weeks since any checks were made at York. Will these checks just be random checks or do they have longer term plans?
Checking at York station today.

DanNCL

Established Member
LNER still have RPIs on some of the trains, had my ticket checked by one about 10 days ago. Haven't seen any LNER guards doing ticket checks lately.

Tyne & Wear Metro are still doing a few on train ticket checks with their RPIs too.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Had a check between Cheadle Hulme and Stockport on Sunday but not yesterday.
Even in normal times on a journey that short often the guard doesn't get round to you anyway so not entirely surprising. When I did a few Northern journeys last summer I was checked several times but staff didn't manage to get through every carriage after every call

Status
Not open for further replies.