• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ha which time did you leave HTC? I was on the 12:15 to Blackpool North as far as Occy Road. No check in the fromt set of a 6-car 331 formation.

I wonder how many of the "pay when challenged" will simply jump into the front unit of a pair of 331s (or 195s) knowing it's unlikely they will get checked on board due to the guard being in the rear unit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I wonder how many of the "pay when challenged" will simply jump into the front unit of a pair of 331s (or 195s) knowing it's unlikely they will get checked on board due to the guard being in the rear unit.

I had a day ranger; I just like to see how far I can get before anybody checks. I once got miles before being able to buy one in the days before the ticket machines on the platform and when the office was temporarily closed! No option to buy rangers online even in 2021, unbelievably!

The exile

Established Member
First on train TfW ticket check experienced on Saturday, between Sugar Loaf and Cynghordy, so at least my use of both will feature in their figures! At a loss as to why Sugar Loaf lost its services in lockdown as both doors on a 153 fit on the platform. Equally, however, can’t imagine that it features in many “essential journeys “!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Day 4 in Wales.
Checked on the Bridgend train [guard came round a few times checking/selling tickets]
Nothing on the Milford Haven train, nor on a Carmarthen terminator & on the Pembroke Dock train [I would have imagined that long run between Carmarthen & Whitland would have been a good chance for the guard to grab any request stops]

Checked on the train from Fishguard, twice (change of guards)

First GWR service from Cardiff to Newport I got checked pretty soon after departure, might have been a RPI as I was in the front unit, barriers open at Newport. Nothing on the 67 back to Cardiff. Second GWR I was again in the leading unit from Cardiff [it's quieter], only check came between Warminster & Salisbury [when the 165 was at the rear]. Nothing on the SWR service

Falcon1200

Established Member
Oxford-Wolverhampton Cross Country; Ticket checked
Wolverhampton-Crewe LNWR; Ticket checked, although the Guard did not even look at a passenger sitting across from me, who had joined the train at the same place (and also had her feet on the seats).
Crewe-Glasgow C Avanti WC; Ticket checked.
Glasgow C-Neilston Scotrail; No ticket check.

Barriers were open at Oxford (this was at 0630 however), in use at Glasgow C.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Travels yesterday:
Hull - Sheffield (Northern) - ticket checked after Hull plus revenue check at Sheffield
Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly (Northern) - nothing (although to be fair it was a 150 and rather busy)
Manchester Piccadilly - Warrington Central (Northern) - nothing
Warrington Central - Manchester Oxford Road (Northern) - checked after Birchwood
Manchester Oxford Road - Warrington West (Northern) - nothing
Warrington West - Manchester Oxford Road (Northern) - checked after Birchwood
Manchester Oxford Road - Liverpool Lime Street (Northern) - nothing (front set of non-gangwayed pair)
Liverpool Lime Street - Crewe (WMT) - checked after Liverpool South Parkway
Crewe - Chester (TfW) - checked
Chester - Manchester Piccadilly (Northern) - nothing (front set of non-gangwayed pair)
Manchester Victoria - Liverpool Lime Street (Northern) - nothing
Liverpool Lime Street - Sheffield (EMR) - checked at Lime Street before doors were released
Sheffield - Hull (Northern) - checked between Meadowhall and Doncaster

Barriers were working at Manchester Victoria and Liverpool Lime Street. They were working in the morning at Manchester Piccadilly but for whatever reason were open by 17:30 (I saw a chap in front of me do a victory dance after walking through them which definitely suggests he had a ticket).

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Barriers were working at Manchester Victoria and Liverpool Lime Street. They were working in the morning at Manchester Piccadilly but for whatever reason were open by 17:30 (I saw a chap in front of me do a victory dance after walking through them which definitely suggests he had a ticket).

I can't ever remember passing through open barriers at Lime St.

LowLevel

Established Member
I can't ever remember passing through open barriers at Lime St.
Except for extremis when they were introduced a contractual obligation was made that they would be manned during the whole day, more or less, from the early hours to the early hours.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Although a shame that the barriers don't cover the entire station and tickets from Edge Hill shot up like a rocket when they were introduced ;)

The 1-6 (now 1-5) side has been gated either automatically or manually right back to BR days, so this surprises me. It's never been open on that side. Was it that the staff checking manually were wise to that and pulled people up on it, but now the gates just blindly accept them?

Are there now gates on any of the other side?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Travelled quite a bit over Merseyrail today, didn’t have my tickets checked at all from start to finish.

You would have had to pass through a gateline had you used Liverpool Central or Moorfields, however and the RPI's do seem particularly keen at Central of late (and rightly so)

50002Superb

You would have had to pass through a gateline had you used Liverpool Central or Moorfields, however and the RPI's do seem particularly keen at Central of late (and rightly so)
At Liverpool Central I went from the Wirral platform to Northern and back but that was all as I had planned to spend all of my time on the Wirral lines.

Plenty of staff around but to be on the network for five hours without a single check was surprising.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Plenty of staff around but to be on the network for five hours without a single check was surprising.
I've lived in Liverpool for more than 20 years and use Merseyrail extensively, normally the section between Hunts Cross and Central / Moorfields.

I think I may have had one on-train ticket check in that time, (but I'm not certain)!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Assuming you mean 6-10, then there’s nowt there (still). Dunno why but I guess it is what it is.

In the early days of Virgin at Lime St. woe betide anyone thinking of getting anywhere near a Pendolino though. Their staff were like the Mafia.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Full ticket check between Dundee and Edinburgh yesterday. Guard was also making his way up and down the train as we stopped at the stations through Fife checking tickets of people who had got on.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
From today's travels:
Hull - Sheffield (Northern): checked after Hull
Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly (Northern) - checked after Sheffield
Manchester Piccadilly - Lancaster (Northern) - checked after Oxford Road
Lancaster - Sellafield (Northern) - checked after Lancaster
Sellafield - Barrow (Northern) - nothing
Barrow - Manchester Piccadilly (Northern) - checked after Silverdale
Manchester Piccadilly - Hull (TPE) - nothing

317 forever

Established Member
Ha which time did you leave HTC? I was on the 12:15 to Blackpool North as far as Occy Road. No check in the fromt set of a 6-car 331 formation.
I was on the 6.58 (IIRC) journey heading for Hazel Grove, I think in the 4th carriage. On a nifty note, I was on time for the 7.04 to Crewe & London Euston, even though this is not an advertised connection.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yesterday, no check on SWR into London, rest of journeys were DOO, all stations with barriers were in use

Today, checked on the Lumo and on ScotRail was 3 out of 4.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
From yesterday:
Hull - York (Northern): checked after Hull
York - Darlington (TPE): checked after York
Darlington - Newcastle (LNER): checked after Darlington
Newcastle - Prudhoe (Northern): nothing
Prudhoe - Newcastle (Northern): checked after Prudhoe
Newcastle - Prudhoe (Northern): checked after Newcastle
Prudhoe - Newcastle (Northern): checked after Prudhoe
Newcastle - Hexham (Northern): nothing
Hexham - Middlesbrough (Northern): checked after Hexham and after Newcastle
Middlesbrough - Saltburn (Northern): checked after South Bank
Saltburn - Darlington (Northern): checked after Allens West
Darlington - Bishop Auckland (Northern): checked after Heighington
Bishop Auckland - Middlesbrough (Northern): checked after Heighington
Middlesbrough - Darlington (Northern): checked after Middlesbrough
Darlington - York (LNER): nothing
York - Leeds (Northern): checked after York
Leeds - Hull (TPE): nothing

Parallel

Established Member
Made a trip from Newport to Hereford yesterday and return. Was checked on the way up (formed of a 3 car 175) on a Manchester service, wasn't checked on the southbound train (formed of a double dogbox 153) on the Holyhead to Maesteg service. Barriers in use at both Hereford and Newport.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Friday - No check on SWR, checked on the GWR to Reading. Also checked on GC

Saturday - No checks on LNER services, 50% for TPE and probably around 50% for Northern services. Was surprised to see the barriers at Wakefield Westgate in operation during the day [but wide open in the evening]

Today, checked twice on the Morecambe train, nothing on the Manchester train [although that was full & standing after Lancaster]. Checked on the Crewe train shortly after departure [but no sign of the guard afterwards so the many people who boarded at Stockport might have had a free journey]. Nothing on the London Northwestern service to London, but checked on the SWR towards Weymouth [guess it gave the guard something to do during the long journey via Staines]

Vinnym

Boarded the 16.23 Old Roan to Liverpool Central yesterday travelling to Orrell Park (two stops). Was in the middle carriage. Ticket checkers appeared from the front carriage and the first guy they approached had no ticket. When the train got to Aintree an unusual number of people got off the train. I travel on this train about twice per week and never see any more than two or three get off, yesterday there must have been at least a dozen get off this middle carriage. First ticket check I have seen on Merseyrail since before the pandemic.

Chriso

Sat 13-11-21

09:46 London to Crewe LNWR no check gates working at Crewe.

12:11 Crewe - Man Pic no check gates working Crewe and Man Pic

Metro link no checks to/from Bury but lots of crack heads and joy riding youths in evidence (seems worse every time I go)

16:58 Man Pic - Stalybridge no check gates working at MAN Pic

17:54 Stalybridge - Man Pic as above

18:31 Man Pic - Crewe no check manual gates working Man Pic p8-14 not thorough

19:33 Crewe - Rugby no check gates working at Rugby and on speaking to the staff until 22.30 (both sides)

20:58 Rugby - MK Central as above with gates working at MK Central

22:01 MK Central - Watford Jn no check but gates working at MK central

Kite159

Veteran Member
Andover to Basingstoke today, no ticket checks either way. Barriers in use at Basingstoke (which surprisingly didn't retain the outward ticket)

NoMorePacers

Established Member
From yesterday:
Hull - Leeds (Northern): checked between Brough and Selby
Leeds - Castleford (Northern): checked after Leeds
Castleford - Leeds (Northern): checked after Castleford
Leeds - Wigan North Western (Northern): checked between Salford Crescent and Swinton
Wigan Wallgate - Manchester Victoria (Northern): nothing (although front non-gangway set)
Manchester Victoria - Todmorden (Northern): checked after Manchester Victoria
Todmorden - Halifax (Northern): checked after Mytholmroyd
Halifax - Hull (Northern): checked after Bradford

Barriers were working at Leeds, Wigan Wallgate and Manchester Victoria.

S&CLER

Tickets not checked at all on either of my trains today (Sunday), the 08:42 Southport-Smithy Bridge and the 14:58 Smithy Bridge-Southport, both of which were well patronised especially between Wigan and Manchester.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Southern appear to be getting interested in revenue again. I was checked between Victoria and Brighton, and again between Brighton and Newhaven on Thursday. In both cases, sight of supporting railcards was specifically requested. From Victoria, the OBS also made several announcements about the need for a First Class ticket to travel in the relevant sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.