• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heading into autumn - what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

35B

Established Member
Unrelated to other comments, I'm involved in running an event tomorrow evening. The organiser (very much ex-army) got in touch this afternoon asking whether he should cancel, expressing particular concern about how people would circulate. He has been persuaded to keep going.

Having dealt with him before, I would not have expected him to react in this way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
Seems like Boris Johnson is hoping that the half term holiday will help to bring COVID cases down.

We won't see the impact of the half term break for a couple of weeks, so it will be the middle of November before the government decides what to do about Plan B.

According to the latest ONS infection survey, around 8% of school aged children (Yr7-11) had covid that week, more than double the % of the next highest group of 2-Yr6 around 3%, with every other age group (where all the vaccine administering has been as well) around or just below 1%. If anything needs imposing to try and control covid it should be for schools only. I think improving ventilation will help a lot and not impact on children's education/wellbeing, and while debatable whether it's necessary, the vaccine rollout in this group ought to help. As alluded to here half term will of course go a long way in the form of less mixing overall.

35B

Established Member
There are more factors in play than just age. An obese 49 year old is far more likely to come a cropper than a fit 51 year old.
Indeed. And as I said, these are averages. They are, as I understand them, true at a population level and also, on the same logic, for an individual - meaning that my risk now if I catch Covid is ~20% higher than it was in March 2020, simply because of the passing of time.

greyman42

Established Member
There are more factors in play than just age. An obese 49 year old is far more likely to come a cropper than a fit 51 year old.
Yes, obesity is a major factor which people seem reluctant to discuss or do anything about.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Depending on who you believe, asymptomatic transmission even in adults is rare enough not to be an issue and the vaccines aren't very effective at preventing infection (don't take my word for it, Jenny Harries actually stated the latter yesterday). The vaccines primary purpose was to prevent serious illness and death, which they are demonstrably doing. Like you I'm struggling to see how vaccinating children solves anything. Who knows what to believe anymore, they appear to be making it up as they go along and contradicting themselves at every turn....
I'm glad it's not just me. Fortunately my children are too young to have the vaccine. In other news, I've read that the majority of people going to hospital are still aged 85 and over. Again, how will vaccinating school children make much difference to this?

bramling

Veteran Member
Yes, obesity is a major factor which people seem reluctant to discuss or do anything about.

Of course, because this means taking some personal responsibility. Far easier to blame it all on other people being "dirty" by not taking a vaccine, not stringing a bit of fabric round their face, or having the audacity to sneeze. Unfortunately this narrative suits the government, as whilst people are bickering over who's not wearing a mask on the 0730 from Harpenden no one is asking questions as to why the NHS is claiming to be on its knees at this point.

greyman42

Established Member
Of course, because this means taking some personal responsibility. Far easier to blame it all on other people being "dirty" by not taking a vaccine, not stringing a bit of fabric round their face, or having the audacity to sneeze. Unfortunately this narrative suits the government, as whilst people are bickering over who's not wearing a mask on the 0730 from Harpenden no one is asking questions as to why the NHS is claiming to be on its knees at this point.
Spot on.

adc82140

Established Member
The NHS itself isn't claiming to be on its knees. The doctors union says it is, and some mysterious body called the "NHS Confederation" which is not an official body like NHS England or NHS Providers. They both have an agenda.

greyman42

Established Member
The NHS itself isn't claiming to be on its knees. The doctors union says it is, and some mysterious body called the "NHS Confederation" which is not an official body like NHS England or NHS Providers. They both have an agenda.
A lot of people do not even realise that the BMA is a union and as such, the BMA is happy to masquerade as a medical body. I get the impression that most people think that the BMA is a group of elite doctors and that whatever they say is gospel.

kez19

Established Member

I believe the woman from the NHS Confederation was on Channel 4 news last night (yes where are these NHS third parties popping up from? The media love giving these people attention, I be suspicious on this whole thing, being honest it’s unnerving to me as to how the media believes certain people regardless but fail to challenge them if wrong I wonder why?), can I ask RT to intervene maybe they could shed a light?

I’m using wiki as the source here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHS_Confederation
The NHS Confederation, formerly the National Association of Health Authorities and Trusts, is a membership body for organisations that commission and provide National Health Service services founded in 1990. The predecessor organisation was called the National Association of Health Authorities in England and Wales.[1]

It has offices in England, Wales (The Welsh NHS Confederation) and Northern Ireland (the Northern Ireland Confederation for Health and Social Care).[2]

seemed to be paid membership/subscription (all other info onsite or via Google)

Last edited:

davews

In post #793:
The paper letters from the NHS contain special thermochromatic ink that shows as a holographic image on a genuine certificate, and changes to the word ‘copy’ on a photocopied certificate. Certificates with the word ‘copy’ on them will not be accepted.

A quick test scan of my NHS letter certificate in my Canon scanner produced a nice copy without that alleged 'copy' mark, though obviously the copy was not holographic. The problem with the letter is that it is a single A4 paper and not really suitable to carry in your wallet for frequent use. Many of us don't have mobiles, or even ones compatible with the NHS app. But I do have a nice bit of cardboard given me at the test centre that has exactly the same information on it which has sat in my wallet since February.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
According to the latest ONS infection survey, around 8% of school aged children (Yr7-11) had covid that week, more than double the % of the next highest group of 2-Yr6 around 3%, with every other age group (where all the vaccine administering has been as well) around or just below 1%. If anything needs imposing to try and control covid it should be for schools only. I think improving ventilation will help a lot and not impact on children's education/wellbeing, and while debatable whether it's necessary, the vaccine rollout in this group ought to help. As alluded to here half term will of course go a long way in the form of less mixing overall.

Well ultimately I'd argue the opposite.

If anything we need to impose restrictions everywhere but in schools.

Ultimately the primary danger of schools having a major wave is that they will drive cases into the surrounding population, even if the cases wouldn't have occurred naturally. (A reservoir of infection can induce significant numbers of infections elsewhere in the population even if R in those populations is <1)

On the other hand we need people in schools to get it to remove schoolchildren as a reservoir of infection moving forward, given the total failure of the school vaccination programme.

So we need the school wave to burn as rapidly as possible but avoid as many overspill cases as possible.

Note that case rates in Adults are only really taking off in populations of about the age you'd expect the parents of schoolchildren to be.

RPI

Established Member
The plot thickens.... (it doesn't, but thankfully more are seeing through the crap)

Back

Whether it’s cock-up or conspiracy, officials are still feeding the public misleading statistics​

Hospitalisation figures do not paint full picture, with as many as a quarter of those listed having been admitted for another reason

BySarah Knapton, SCIENCE EDITOR21 October 2021 • 4:26pm

The misuse of statistics has been one of the major criticisms levelled at politicians during the pandemic, with dubious figures and modelling often cited to justify draconian interventions.
So it was reassuring to find out on Thursday that the head of the UK Statistics Authority was also concerned about the misrepresentation of data by the Government.
Speaking at the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs committee, Sir David Norgrove told MPs that “we’ve intervened more during the pandemic and made more comments than in the years before”.
“With statistics, it’s usually cock-up rather than conspiracy,” he added. “They are under pressure and they get themselves into a hole and we have to help dig them out.”
Yet despite this, nothing seems to be changing.
At a press conference from Downing Street on Wednesday evening, Dr Jenny Harries, the chief executive of the UK Health Security Agency, took the public through slides showing that there were currently 7,891 people in hospital with Covid in the UK.
What she failed to mention is that this figure does not only include people admitted with Covid, but also those who test positive for coronavirus while in hospital for another condition.
Hospitals were instructed to distinguish between the two groups earlier this year, but so far it has not filtered down into the official figures.
Placeholder image for youtube video: LgVZHkIFJQ0

In fact it is only possible to find the data by scrolling to the very bottom of the “Hospital Activity” page of the NHS website. Even then, the figures are woefully out of date.
At the most recent count for England on Oct 12, 26 per cent of the overall cases were not primarily Covid.
If that was extrapolated to Dr Harries’ British data, it would mean that more than 2,000 people included in the Government’s press conference figure are actually in hospital for other causes.
A similar problem can be seen in the daily reported death figures published on the Government’s coronavirus dashboard. On Tuesday, many experts seized on 223 reported deaths to argue that Britain should enact Plan B restrictions.
But the reported death data does tend to jump around depending on the day of the week and reflects deaths over several days. Look at the figures by “date of death”, and it is clear to see the situation is largely plateauing.

Dr Jason Oke, a senior statistician at the University of Oxford, pointed this out earlier this week, saying: “As we have said right from the beginning, we need to focus on deaths by date of occurrence, not deaths by date reported.
“Reporting Tuesday’s numbers – always the highest – in isolation, tends to exaggerate things, and gives no indication of current trends, which has if anything been slowly falling through September and October, [and] no guarantee of future trends of course.”
A quick look at the figures from the Office for Statistics Regulation (OSR) show a marked increase in cases reported to the regulator over the past year.

Between April 1 2020 and March 31 2021 the OSR dealt with 323 cases, three times the normal volume, and the highest number to date.
Nearly 70 per cent were related to the pandemic and half involved complaints over quality, reliability and trustworthiness.
At the committee hearing, Prof Sir Ian Diamond, the national statistician, said he had instigated “data masterclasses” for MPs and civil servants, in an attempt to improve the use of data.
But he admitted: “I’m not going to pretend you can do one data masterclass and flick a switch and everything is perfect.”
The upside is that the Government now knows it is scrutinised by members of the public who are contacting the regulator in higher numbers than ever. If statisticians cannot drive improvement, maybe the wrath of voters will.