• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heart of Wales Pullman (17/07) - In some bother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingworth

Established Member
Worth it though! Even with the delay I was so pleased to have finally ticked off that line and what a wonderful line it is! Plus HST first class carriages are a far nicer way to travel than a 153 ;)
I'll second that, says he on 185 back to Sheffield through Edale on glorious Sunday morning after pre-planned night in hotel in Stockport. We were prepared!!

Not sure Network Rail traffic mangement would. They must have been having nightmares.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I suggest that people enjoyed the trip more because of the troubles, and the brave people who solved them, more than they would have if the timetable had been kept.

The memories of this trip may last longer too.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I suggest that people enjoyed the trip more because of the troubles, and the brave people who solved them, more than they would have if the timetable had been kept.

Mechanical, electrical or operational difficulties are all part of the authentic railtour experience!

At least it wasn't trespassers as do often seems to be the case with external combustion traction.

On Moderation

What exactly is “brave” about someone fixing a failed train, presumably it being their job to do so?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'll second that, says he on 185 back to Sheffield through Edale on glorious Sunday morning after pre-planned night in hotel in Stockport. We were prepared!!
Indeed so! Just off my 185 that took me back to Redcar having spent the night at a hotel in Manchester. As one of my PE teachers used to say "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!" :lol:

Killingworth

Established Member
Indeed so! Just off my 185 that took me back to Redcar having spent the night at a hotel in Manchester. As one of my PE teachers used to say "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!" :lol:
In addition to the pleasure afforded to those aboard it's always amazing to see how many turn out to see such specials pass. All along the way we saw cameras and phones raised to record our passage. In the middle of fields, leaning over gates and fences, on tripods, extended poles, at almost every station and at least one drone. Even when we were so late some remained vigilant. I've little doubt the railway press will reflect their efforts.

The cows and sheep hadn't seen anything quite like it either, particularly on the HoW section. A 153 yes, but this was quite something else! They ran to far corners of their fields.

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
I have just been looking at youtube videos of the trip. Good to see so many people turn out to see it.

LRV3004

On a separate note (sorry if this is in another thread and also unrelated to this topic), the ECS for the Staycation Express only got as far as Warrington before turning back and returning to Crewe……

Killingworth

Established Member
On a separate note (sorry if this is in another thread and also unrelated to this topic), the ECS for the Staycation Express only got as far as Warrington before turning back and returning to Crewe……
One of the power cars for that was borrowed early yesterday morning to replace a faulty blue unit - and was then the one that broke down!

DB

Not good news about these HST failures. Perhaps they can’t stand the heat? Just as well that they have been removed from most mainline services.

What a silly comment. HSTs can withstand heat as well as any train and better than many, especially since they had their cooler groups replaced a decade or so ago.

There are trains out there which are much worse in hot weather - eg. 158s, whose aircon reliably tends to fail a lot in hot weather, making them into saunas.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
whose aircon reliably tends to fail a lot in hot weather, making them into saunas
Yes one thing I will say was that the air con worked flawlessly throughout and particularly importantly whilst we were at a stand!

Envoy

Established Member
What a silly comment. HSTs can withstand heat as well as any train and better than many, especially since they had their cooler groups replaced a decade or so ago.

There are trains out there which are much worse in hot weather - eg. 158s, whose aircon reliably tends to fail a lot in hot weather, making them into saunas.
Go back 1 page to post 20.

On Moderation
Go back 1 page to post 20.
There’s no facts in that either, just an opinion. I’ve not seen any definite cause quoted for the failure on Saturday or indeed yesterday on the ECS to Carlisle. I note, though, that 43058 was troublesome when on the test runs before its paint.

Killingworth

Established Member
Read my point about their cooler groups having been replaced ten years or so ago.
That surely was designed with fast ECML running in mind and the slower routes like the MML. None are as stop/start as the HoW. On Saturday our return leg was in temperatures of 28 degrees with many stops, starts and slows to 20mph and less.

Whatever went wrong the heat can't have helped.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thread temporarily locked while I work out where to put the off topic stuff… :)

Edit - Unlocked now and the removed posts are now in this thread:

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
Not having a lot of luck are they? How many spare power cars have they, and how long to get another painted up?

On Moderation
Not having a lot of luck are they? How many spare power cars have they, and how long to get another painted up?
A shunting incident is not “luck”. It’s down to someone (or someones) not doing their job properly.

They have three spare power cars, none of which have been used since they bought them.

Killingworth

Established Member
A shunting incident is not “luck”. It’s down to someone (or someones) not doing their job properly.

They have three spare power cars, none of which have been used since they bought them.
I was thinking of those trying to operate the trains commercially. No doubt they'd have very strong views on things done and working properly. Blue power car failed early Saturday, presumably 43055 as 43046 completed the trip. Green car borrowed from Staycation Express and failed in baking mid-Wales. Now 43055 had it's nose broken when sent to Neville Hill.

How many are painted for Midland Pullman and how many for Staycation Express? Has one of those reserve 3 been deployed?

On Moderation
I was thinking of those trying to operate the trains commercially. No doubt they'd have very strong views on things done and working properly. Blue power car failed early Saturday, presumably 43055 as 43046 completed the trip. Green car borrowed from Staycation Express and failed in baking mid-Wales. Now 43055 had it's nose broken when sent to Neville Hill.
Not quite… 43055 had its accident damage before Saturday’s tour which was why it didn’t appear on the tour. Neville Hill is presumably fixing 43055 - they certainly didn’t break it.
How many are painted for Midland Pullman and how many for Staycation Express? Has one of those reserve 3 been deployed?
2 each painted for the two operations. None of the other three have yet run for LSL, presumably for an exam. Attempting to run such an operation with no spare power car at all is foolish even without 43055’s accident. I’m afraid they only have themselves to blame.

DB

Perhaps 43049 will get a repaint while it's at Neville Hill?

Status
Not open for further replies.