• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow to Chatham on the 18th August

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonteacher

I will be travelling from Heathrow Airport to Chatham on the 18th August which is a strike day I think. Usually, I would get the Elizabeth Line to Abbey Wood and then board a Thameslink service but this will be disrupted.

I am thinking the following:

- Piccadilly Line to Acton Town, District Line to Cannon Street, SE to Dartford, bus to Gravesend and then bus to Chatham.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I will have a suitcase but I am able to lift it easily!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Enthusiast

If you use that route, stay on the Piccadilly Line to Barons Court. You'll miss out stopping at Chiswick Park, Turnham Green, Stamford Brook and Ravenscourt Park. Cross platform interchange at Barons Court is usually less crowded than at Hammersmith.

I'm not sure what the effect industrial action will have on 18th August. As I understand it, the RMT and TSSA are striking. That may scupper (or at least make unreliable) any train route you decide on. There is a 10am National Express coach from Victoria to Gillingham (takes 90 mins) and it should not be too difficult to get to Chatham from there. But if that's too early there isn't another until 18:30.

londonteacher

If you use that route, stay on the Piccadilly Line to Barons Court. You'll miss out stopping at Chiswick Park, Turnham Green, Stamford Brook and Ravenscourt Park. Cross platform interchange at Barons Court is usually less crowded than at Hammersmith.

I'm not sure what the effect industrial action will have on 18th August. As I understand it, the RMT and TSSA are striking. That may scupper (or at least make unreliable) any train route you decide on. There is a 10am National Express coach from Victoria to Gillingham (takes 90 mins) and it should not be too difficult to get to Chatham from there. But if that's too early there isn't another until 18:30.
Thanks,

I suppose another option would be the 96 from Woolwich to Bluewater and then the 700.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Also add to the Bluewater mix the Fastrack A bus service from Dartford to Bluewater, then the 700 (fast from Bluewater to the edge of the Medway Towns, then you're at the mercy of the traffic through Strood and Rochester).

londonteacher

Also add to the Bluewater mix the Fastrack A bus service from Dartford to Bluewater, then the 700 (fast from Bluewater to the edge of the Medway Towns, then you're at the mercy of the traffic through Strood and Rochester).
As long as I’m at Chatham station for the last 100 of the day the journey can take as long as it takes!

duncombec

Thanks,

I suppose another option would be the 96 from Woolwich to Bluewater and then the 700
I think most of the lines running on that day will have a bus connection to Bluewater - Woolwich on the 96, Erith on the 428, Sidcup on the 492, Bexleyheath, Crayford, Slade Green, etc., where you then connect onto the 700. I don't know if you can buy a Bluewater through ticket as a single (I've only ever done so as a return from the suburban end), as it's cheaper than a Kent & Medway Day ticket, which is now something like £8.20.

Depending on where you're going (presumably St Mary's Island, as you've specified the 100), it isn't *that* far to walk from the Dockside Outlet Centre, which has buses slightly later, and it's a hike, but not unimaginable, from Brompton, where there are buses much much later.

londonteacher

I think most of the lines running on that day will have a bus connection to Bluewater - Woolwich on the 96, Erith on the 428, Sidcup on the 492, Bexleyheath, Crayford, Slade Green, etc., where you then connect onto the 700. I don't know if you can buy a Bluewater through ticket as a single (I've only ever done so as a return from the suburban end), as it's cheaper than a Kent & Medway Day ticket, which is now something like £8.20.

Depending on where you're going (presumably St Mary's Island, as you've specified the 100), it isn't *that* far to walk from the Dockside Outlet Centre, which has buses slightly later, and it's a hike, but not unimaginable, from Brompton, where there are buses much much later.
I have an Arriva Kent weekly bus ticket so using buses once I reach Dartford is not an issue!

Yes, St Mary’s Island. The 1 and 2 do both go to the outlet and if i need to I will use them but I will have a suitcase after a transatlantic flight so I probably will feel lazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.