• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heating duct smell (West coast route)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day with the mk3 stock on West Coast I always remember that random strong rubber burning smell that would randomly infiltrate the carriages , What was the reason for this? Up there with the stinky pendolino toilet smell!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Back in the day with the mk3 stock on West Coast I always remember that random strong rubber burning smell that would randomly infiltrate the carriages , What was the reason for this? Up there with the stinky pendolino toilet smell!

Brake linings. There was a design flaw in the Mk3 that put the air intake too near the brakes. There was a design change later that closed the intakes if the brakes were on, but you still got it.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The only smell as such that I can remember was when the train braked too sharply and you got the smell of burning brake blocks.

randyrippley

Established Member
ABS disk brake pads
There was a rumour that they were originally asbestos and had to be rapidly replaced when it was realised dust was entering the cabin from them.
If I remember correctly the supposed design flaw was intentional in that hot air from the brakes was deliberately routed to the cabin as a free source of heat. But no-one thought through the dust and fumes issue

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
ABS disk brake pads
There was a rumour that they were originally asbestos and had to be rapidly replaced when it was realised dust was entering the cabin from them.
If I remember correctly the supposed design flaw was intentional in that hot air from the brakes was deliberately routed to the cabin as a free source of heat. But no-one thought through the dust and fumes issue

The "black" faces of 50s/60s racing drivers was due mainly to brake dust

hexagon789

Veteran Member

They did originally contain asbestos, they were changed to non-absbestos ones at the same time as many other modifications were made to the braking system.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Brake linings. There was a design flaw in the Mk3 that put the air intake too near the brakes. There was a design change later that closed the intakes if the brakes were on, but you still got it.

As I understand it if, as recommended in the braking instructions, an initial brake application was made to commence retardation of the train this was sufficient to close the vents and then a heavier brake application as required little or no smell would be evident as the vents would be closed before the heavier application was made.

Presumably many drivers just stuck the brake straight in though, or the vent mechanism wasn't always reliable at closing to atmosphere under brake applications.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Isn't this the "Tube" smell as well?

No it's definitely the smell the OP mentions, I remember them strongly on childhood runs on 125s when the trains would break sharply before Didcot-or at a signal check somewhere in the middle of a field in Whiltshire. Always hated that smell. On the Northern Line, I notice you tend to smell it most northbound at Stockwell. I wonder if its got something to do with the strange hump in the rails the train goes over just before braking into the station.

Trackman

Established Member
It was one of the Living Carpets for those who saw the original series of Vic Reeve's Big Night out. Sadly there is not a you tube clip. It went something like 'You know that horrible burning smell on a train? Well that's me that is'

coppercapped

Established Member
ABS disk brake pads
As I understood it at the time the air intakes were placed low down to avoid sucking in diesel engine exhaust fumes which tend to attach to the air flow along the top of the trains when moving at speed.

It seemed to me to be the right call - a bit of a pong every so often instead of having trainloads of carbon monoxide poisoned passengers.

DLJ

No it's definitely the smell the OP mentions, I remember them strongly on childhood runs on 125s when the trains would break sharply before Didcot-or at a signal check somewhere in the middle of a field in Whiltshire. Always hated that smell.

That's how I remember it - 'Anchors on' at Didcot East, always.

Status
Not open for further replies.