• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hereford - Worcester line freight diverts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, heard rumours last week of possible freight diverts between Hereford and Worcester via Malvern in a few weeks due to engineering works somewhere else. could anyone provide information?
last time it happened was 2016 so driver training would be required I guess.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Seems unlikely as parts of the Hereford to Worcester line are single and at capacity for most of the day. I would have thought coming from Newport you head via Lydney to Cheltenham then Worcester Shrub Hill, Kidderminster (avoiding Lickey Incline), Smethwick Rolfe Street, Soho and Perry Barr Jns, Bescot, Wolverhampton (Avoiding the Station), Stafford and Crewe.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Seems unlikely as parts of the Hereford to Worcester line are single and at capacity for most of the day. I would have thought coming from Newport you head via Lydney to Cheltenham then Worcester Shrub Hill, Kidderminster (avoiding Lickey Incline), Smethwick Rolfe Street, Soho and Perry Barr Jns, Bescot, Wolverhampton (Avoiding the Station), Stafford and Crewe.

In the past they came up the Marches from Newport.

Class 170101

Established Member
In the past they came up the Marches from Newport.

I get the impression the line between either Hereford and Shrewsbury or between Shrewsbury and Crewe is shut but I don't think there is any space via Ledbury due to Hereford to Worcester being at least in part a single line.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Good few blocks up the Marches in the next couple of weeks, but the freight will go via Cheltenham for those.

I get the impression the line between either Hereford and Shrewsbury or between Shrewsbury and Crewe is shut but I don't think there is any space via Ledbury due to Hereford to Worcester being at least in part a single line.
it might be that the Cheltenham - Bromsgrove line is shut

If anything it would be the Margam/ Llanwern - Round Oak/ Brierley Hill and return workings, indicating a block around Gloucester or Cheltenham.

Old Rugelian

37421 and 975025 Caroline have appeared down the Worcester Hereford line recently, apparently for driver training. As the XC route from Cheltenham to Abbotswood is shut in March and June this may lead to the steel being diverted...

newtownmgr

37421 and 975025 Caroline have appeared down the Worcester Hereford line recently, apparently for driver training. As the XC route from Cheltenham to Abbotswood is shut in March and June this may lead to the steel being diverted...
It’s colas drivers route learning not DB cargo. No engineering works listed for March as far as i can see.

Last edited:

Romsey

It all depends what the traffic is to be conveyed. Shelwick jn to Worcester Foregate Street used to be only RA7. Can that be increased for one off movements for that route?
I know RT3973 HAW forms can be issued for heavy axle loads over restricted routes but that depends on clearance by the structural engineer.

It all depends what the traffic is to be conveyed. Shelwick jn to Worcester Foregate Street used to be only RA7. Can that be increased for one off movements for that route?
I know RT3973 HAW forms can be issued for heavy axle loads over restricted routes but that depends on clearance by the structural engineer.
i believe it still is RA7 - there was a one off in 2016 i believe when freight was diverted over the route, and a class 67 was used for driver training connected with it, and i think they are RA8

It’s colas drivers route learning not DB cargo. No engineering works listed for March as far as i can see.
Is it just retaining information for the Colas operated test/ engineering/ RHTT trains then?

newtownmgr

i believe it still is RA7 - there was a one off in 2016 i believe when freight was diverted over the route, and a class 67 was used for driver training connected with it, and i think they are RA8

Is it just retaining information for the Colas operated test/ engineering/ RHTT trains then?
Not sure to be honest. 67’s are banned between Malvern Wells & Hereford

Just been looking at RTT,
Take it its Colas Loco hauled Engineers?
If any information could be shed on this it would be greatly received

The Planner

Veteran Member
If its from Hinksey then it is going to be an engineers train as you suggest.

Romsey

The EAS shows a train working in possession, loading/unloading materials. Same tonnage both ways, so expect new metalwork being delivered for heavy maintenance or a short ballast drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.