• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage wheel flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold Hill

On Moderation
Terrific video on YouTube of The Sherwood Forester 45231 at Llandeilo with a wheel flat caused by an emergency stop but nowhere does it seem to say why the emergency stop. Any clues, anyone?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jacob Didcote

Terrific video on YouTube of The Sherwood Forester 45231 at Llandeilo with a wheel flat caused by an emergency stop but nowhere does it seem to say why the emergency stop. Any clues, anyone?

I heard there were trespassers on the line trying to get photos of it. Shame really as it's caused unnecessary damage to the loco which could of been prevented if people weren't so stupid and followed the simple rules of the railway! On the other hand, hearing a single 20 load 9 up Stormy was rather incredible!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Reported to be trespassers on the Heart of Wales line.

Dai Corner

Established Member
My understanding from local social media reports is that there was an emergency stop due to trespassers on the line but that it was by a service train, not 45231.

The reason for the flat on the tender has not been disclosed.

Jacob Didcote

My understanding from local social media reports is that there was an emergency stop due to trespassers on the line but that it was by a service train, not 45231.

The reason for the flat on the tender has not been disclosed.
That's what I originally thought! but kind of just going with what everyone else was saying. I believe it was a 153 and the driver was relieved and another driver took over....well that's what was said on RiSW facebook group

Last edited:

87electric

That's what I originally thought! but kind of just going with what everyone else was saying. I believe it was a 153 and the driver was dismissed and another driver took over....well that's what was said on RiSW facebook group
What does dismissed mean here?

pdeaves

Established Member
What does dismissed mean here?
I suspect 'relieved of duty' [for the rest of the day], which is standard for these sorts of incidents. Gives the original driver a chance to get over the shakes, etc., without risk of them being distracted by previous events and making a serious driving mistake.

Jacob Didcote

I suspect 'relieved of duty' [for the rest of the day], which is standard for these sorts of incidents. Gives the original driver a chance to get over the shakes, etc., without risk of them being distracted by previous events and making a serious driving mistake.
That's what I meant! Couldn't think of the word. Thanks for the correction :)

D6130

Established Member
I heard that the driver of the service train, approaching Llandeilo from the opposite direction to the special, on encountering the trespassers in the 'four foot' put out an emergency stop message on the GSM-R for all trains in the area. This caused the driver of 45231 to make an emergency stop and the tender wheels locked-up and slid for some distance on wet rails, thus causing the severe flats.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I was at Carmarthen waiting for the train, and the explanation given by D6130 tallies with what I heard, either at the time or just after. I think it was the former, although I can't be totally sure.

Spartacus

Established Member
Unsure if the fault on on the loco tender was triggered by the trespass incident near Derwydd (Always reminds me of Bewitched!) or not, though they did occur at a similar time, I'm not even sure if an emergency stop call was put out, I've seen no mention of one affecting 45231. Whatever happened at some point the tender developed a brake fault on one wheelset, developing a serious flat while being dragged about a mile before being detected, by which point it had lost the ability to turn of it's own accord.

jamieP

Unsure if the fault on on the loco tender was triggered by the trespass incident near Derwydd (Always reminds me of Bewitched!) or not, though they did occur at a similar time, I'm not even sure if an emergency stop call was put out, I've seen no mention of one affecting 45231. Whatever happened at some point the tender developed a brake fault on one wheelset, developing a serious flat while being dragged about a mile before being detected, by which point it had lost the ability to turn of it's own accord.

Nothing a good grinding disc wouldn't fix

Spartacus

Established Member
Nothing a good grinding disc wouldn't fix

That was indeed the planned on-site solution, but it took a lot of hard work, and several attempts, for the wheelset to be deemed good enough for it to be moved at all without risking further damage to the wheelset or to the track, initially it was planned for it to go to Pantyffynnon at 5mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.