• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hertford East Branch Platform Extension Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHSRailFan

The Herford East Branch (or simply 'The Hertford Branch') is finally getting the long-awaited platform extensions, ready for the doubled-up 720 units that will create 10 car services on the Hertford Branch services. The signal box at Hertford East was cleared to make way for the platform extensions last October, sadly I was busy and was unable to upload the images in time.

Link to the granted Planning Permissions Thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-planning-permission-has-been-granted.207436/

Link to the Hertford East Signal Box Dismantalling: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/hertford-east-blockade-in-october.221026/

I noticed construction material being placed at the north side entrance area at Hertford East (an area only used by Network Rail only to place equipment or other bits). Entering the platform as well as looking at the future engineering works board at the station confirms that the platform extensions are taking place. I am unable to confirm if other such equipment is at St Margarets and Rye House, though I have seen glimpses of equipment at Ware, though behind the building. I do know there is space inside to hold the equipment.
PXL_20220317_173742908.jpgPXL_20220317_173746449.jpgPXL_20220324_173157083.jpgPXL_20220317_174008065.jpg

Greater Anglia Website essentially confirms this by stating that it will take place between the 11th and 18th August: https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/service-alterations/hertford-east-blockade

Hertford East Blockade​

Locations affected​

Hertford East to Broxbourne

Dates​

Monday, April 11, 2022 to Monday, April 18, 2022

Monday 11 to Thursday 14​

Due to platform extension work, buses will replace trains between Hertford East and Broxbourne all day.

Good Friday 15 to Easter Monday 18​

Due to platform extension and structural work, buses will replace trains between Hertford East and Waltham Cross all day.
Train services will remain in operation between Cheshunt / Waltham Cross and London Liverpool Street.
Also buses will replace trains between Stansted Airport and Waltham Cross.

Anyone Living near to the line at other stations as well along the branch, do update about their upgrades here!

Attachments

• 1648216501464.jpeg
    1648216501464.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 144
  • PXL_20220317_173746449.jpg
    PXL_20220317_173746449.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 142
  • PXL_20220324_173157083.jpg
    PXL_20220324_173157083.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 176
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BS56

They have got to renew the track and relocate the trailing crossover first before they start work on the platforms at Hertford East I was told this Easter has anyone heard anything ?

mr_moo

They have got to renew the track and relocate the trailing crossover first before they start work on the platforms at Hertford East I was told this Easter has anyone heard anything ?
Both Crossovers are being replaced so the required space for the platform extensions can be found. There's also signal moves of course.

Crossover supply to site is happening fairly soon (it's currently in manufacture) but actual renewal in the ground is not till August. Plenty of prep work going on before then but that's where the bulk of the works will be happening.
Ditto for Ware - this is also having one set of S&C replaced and the platform extended.

(I may be slightly involved in this project and thus have a few bits of info although, of course, I need to be careful how much I share)

Last edited:

TheHSRailFan

Last weekend involved some track replacement and work, didn't see much because I was in a rush but there was some work done at the end of the station.
PXL_20220402_104619093.jpg

Established Member
How are they extending Ware? Bridge at one end, level crossing at the other?

Shwam3

The platform at Ware is being extended under/through the bridge and the points & signals at that end will be moving towards London, slightly lengthening the single line section.

mr_jrt

Established Member
There used to be a lot more track around Ware, hence the extra bridge spans. Two questions spring to mind... 1) does anyone know why the single track bottleneck over the level crossing was never doubled, even at the maximum extent of track? ...and 2) is it safe to presume that the single track section is being lengthened as it's cheaper than running a second track through the disused span and will have little impact on the service?

mr_moo

The platform at Ware is being extended under/through the bridge and the points & signals at that end will be moving towards London, slightly lengthening the single line section.
Correct. The track is, naturally, being moved away from the platform at that end, the platform is being built out to the new alignment. The platform is being extended by about 80m to allow the new class 720 10-car (2*5-car) trains to call without SDO. The new platform goes through the bridge and ends around the middle of where the current S&C is.
This is of course being removed, with the S&C renewed to suit the new platform end.

What an interesting site - thank you!

There used to be a lot more track around Ware, hence the extra bridge spans. Two questions spring to mind... 1) does anyone know why the single track bottleneck over the level crossing was never doubled, even at the maximum extent of track? ...and 2) is it safe to presume that the single track section is being lengthened as it's cheaper than running a second track through the disused span and will have little impact on the service?
1) I have no idea, but I suspect it was simply never big enough to warrent the expense of a second platform etc.
According to https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/statistics/usage/estimates-of-station-usage, in 2019-2020 (so pre-pandemic), the station saw an estimated 1,047,118 entries and exits for the year. There are 41.4 trains per 'average' day (using 9,12 and 13 March 2022 as source data, balanced between weekdays and weekends etc) and 364 operating days in the year, so that's 1047118/364/41.4 so that's approx 70 people per train getting on or off. Not really enough to justify a business case for a second platform, footbridge or subway, LC modifications etc etc.
2) Given 1, yes. Trains in both directions stop there and the new platform goes through the bridge, so a second track would need to have it's own platform. The works involved to run a second track through and put a second platform in place would be huge.

mr_jrt

Established Member
I wasn't thinking specifically in the modern era, more in the peak of rail usage pre WW1 when it was a lot cheaper and easier to get infrastructure/capacity added in. Back then a second platform would have happily been served by a barrow crossing, and I think the whole line was doubled aside from Ware? It's not important, I'm just genuinely curious if it's something as silly as the house impinging on the alignment for the second line over the crossing was owned by a senior railway manager ;)

Last edited:

mr_moo

Hehe. I really wouldn't be surprised if it was! Fair point though - very basic structure with a barrow crossing would have been quite sufficient back in the day.
Digging into this (becuase I can!), I note these buildings are listed:
1649412889386.png

This would preclude any modern re-doubling scheme of course, or mean it was extremely difficult and expensive. I have no idea what these buildings were and why they are listed, but their historical significance may give an answer if someone else knows what they are/were.

Established Member
Just been down to Ware to have a look. Looks bit narrower past that fence. That’s the London end so lot of people head down there to get off first at Tottenham Hale and Liverpool St. be even narrower if going under bridge. Look forward to seeing it when finished
4685B2AB-F49D-4F06-9414-E6AD59114B96.jpegA8BA9F6B-F11F-4285-B9A1-343CA32E80ED.jpeg

D75BF087-4FD0-4934-B816-9E8BCA483E46.jpeg

Ediswan

Established Member
Hehe. I really wouldn't be surprised if it was! Fair point though - very basic structure with a barrow crossing would have been quite sufficient back in the day.
Digging into this (becuase I can!), I note these buildings are listed:
View attachment 112699

This would preclude any modern re-doubling scheme of course, or mean it was extremely difficult and expensive. I have no idea what these buildings were and why they are listed, but their historical significance may give an answer if someone else knows what they are/were.
I have dug as deep as I can, but found nothing special (for Ware) about those buildings.

According to Middleton Press, Ware is single line due to the New River Company refusing to sell the land. Why the line was not built slightly further north, away from the New River, is not discussed. Many of the buildings on the east side of Amwell End (the road) are listed, so nothing special there. Neither are New River Company architecture.

The building closest to the road was once a curry house 'The Sagar'. It may have originally been yet another Inn. Rumour has it that every building on the main road through Ware, which previously went that way, has been an inn at one time.

The building behind is described as 'a house'. The build date is close to when the railway opened. Maybe the inn no longer had need of large stables.

Established Member
66769 is on the branch, arrived from Whitemoor this morning, just gone light through Ware towards Hertford. Only 3 of the orange army at south end of Ware station. 4 on the level crossing.

EDIT the 66 has left Tues evening back to Whitemoor

Last edited:

BS56

Lots going on at Hertford East this week line closed until next Tuesday so they must be renewing track I will try and get down there and take some photo's.

mr_moo

I don't think there's any track renewals - there's a fair amount in the August blockade but nothing in this one as far as I'm aware (and as above, I have to declare a slight involvement in this project), unless there's some standard condition-led maintenance renewals which would go through a process I'm not involved with so I wouldn't know anything about.
Re the platform lengthening project there's lots of site surveys, ground investigation, removal of redundant items, delivery of the S&C for Hertford East and Ware plus most of the associated plain line components, cabling works, and various prep works but no track works yet.

Established Member
Nothing visible appears to have happened at Ware apart from dump of ballast opposite platform and also some new track at side of existing track at Hertford end of platform. Possibly new barrier arms..look different but whether They are, I’m not sure

mr_moo

Because the new S&C is in a different location there is some plain line to be renewed too, although the existing track is in good enough condition that nothing other than the essential bits to facilitate the new S&C is to be replaced.
Because there is only a small amount of track being replaced, the new plain line is being supplied together with the S&C as pre-built panels, so what you've seen is a mixture of the new S&C and the associated plain line panels to go along with the new S&C. All of it will be installed in the August blockade.
HTH

Established Member
Because the new S&C is in a different location there is some plain line to be renewed too, although the existing track is in good enough condition that nothing other than the essential bits to facilitate the new S&C is to be replaced.
Because there is only a small amount of track being replaced, the new plain line is being supplied together with the S&C as pre-built panels, so what you've seen is a mixture of the new S&C and the associated plain line panels to go along with the new S&C. All of it will be installed in the August blockade.
HTH
Thanks for update very useful

TheHSRailFan

Hello Everyone,
Sorry for the blanking out as I had more important stuff and was disappointed It was mainly just track renewal. However, Network rail have finally confirmed about the construction of the platform extensions through our local county newspaper.

https://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/news/hertfordshire-news/greater-anglia-buses-replace-trains-7246016

Greater Anglia: Buses replace trains on Hertford East line to Stratford for 17 days in a row this summer​

Greater Anglia is carrying out work to make the platforms at three stations long enough for its new 10-carriage trains

The dates are as followed in the article:
  • Until 9am on Sunday, June 26 when buses replace trains between Waltham Cross and Bishop’s Stortford and between Waltham Cross and Hertford East, as Network Rail is also carrying out track maintenance works in the Bishop’s Stortford area;
  • Sunday, July 24 when buses between Waltham Cross and Bishop’s Stortford and between Waltham Cross and Hertford East;
  • Saturday, July 30 and Sunday, July 31 when buses replace trains between Broxbourne and Hertford East;
  • Saturday, August 6 when buses replace trains between Broxbourne and Hertford East;
  • Sunday, August 7 when buses between Waltham Cross and Stansted Airport and between Waltham Cross and Hertford East;
  • Saturday, August 13 to Monday, August 29 when buses replace trains on the Hertford East branch as shown below;
  • Saturday, August 13 and Sunday, August 14 when buses replace trains between Waltham Cross and Hertford East and between Waltham Cross and Harlow Town for local journeys only;
  • Monday, August 15 to Friday, August 19 when buses replace trains between Broxbourne and Hertford East;
  • Saturday, August 20 and Sunday, August 21 when buses replace trains between Waltham Cross and Hertford East and between Waltham Cross and Harlow Town for local journeys only;
  • Monday, August 22 to Sunday, August 28 when buses replace trains between Broxbourne and Hertford East;
  • Monday, August 29 when buses replace trains between Waltham Cross and Hertford East and between Waltham Cross and Harlow Town for local journeys only;

DJS76

Why have Greater Anglia started running the replacement buses from Waltham Cross, yet the trains seem to continue to Cheshunt? Have noticed this on the last couple of weekends when there has been engineering works. Is it easier for buses to access the station there?

Julia

I wasn't thinking specifically in the modern era, more in the peak of rail usage pre WW1 when it was a lot cheaper and easier to get infrastructure/capacity added in. Back then a second platform would have happily been served by a barrow crossing, and I think the whole line was doubled aside from Ware? It's not important, I'm just genuinely curious if it's something as silly as the house impinging on the alignment for the second line over the crossing was owned by a senior railway manager ;)

I vaguely remember reading that the GNR had running rights for coal trains over GER double-track routes to get to Docklands. There was a connection from Hertford North to East which would have kept GNR trains on home territory as much as possible, but it suited the GER to never get round to doubling the line through Ware as they could then refuse access and charge the GNR for a much longer run over their routes (eg. via Ely).

Of course, this could be completely false... never getting access to a necessary bit of land sounds more plausible.

TheHSRailFan

Why have Greater Anglia started running the replacement buses from Waltham Cross, yet the trains seem to continue to Cheshunt? Have noticed this on the last couple of weekends when there has been engineering works. Is it easier for buses to access the station there?
Yes, basically that.
Cheshunt station is down a street which is more a residential area than anything. But Waltham Cross is down a road that is not and leads to some warehouses and a loop under the road bridge.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Yes, basically that.
Cheshunt station is down a street which is more a residential area than anything. But Waltham Cross is down a road that is not and leads to some warehouses and a loop under the road bridge.
Also Waltham Cross is well-sited for access to the M11, which is handy for RRBs to Harlow, Bishops Stortford, Stansted and Cambridge.

rower40

My recollection, and this may be Urban Myth, about Ware being single-track was that the local council would only give permission for a single pair of rails to be laid into what was then the main road through the town - in the belief that this would reduce the number and duration of road closures. I can't find any internet-based evidence for this though - it's just what I was told during discussions relating to the "WARM" resignalling a few decades ago.

Ediswan

Established Member
My recollection, and this may be Urban Myth, about Ware being single-track was that the local council would only give permission for a single pair of rails to be laid into what was then the main road through the town - in the belief that this would reduce the number and duration of road closures. I can't find any internet-based evidence for this though - it's just what I was told during discussions relating to the "WARM" resignalling a few decades ago.
According to Middleton Press, Ware is single track due to the New River Company refusing to sell the land. Which is true ? No idea.

The branch opened as single track. 'Something' prevented Ware from being doubled. Could be somebody worked out they could get by without. Maybe the answer is in a dusty archive somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.