• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hi Vis Backpack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliet Barvo

Restitching my Hivis Backpack for the third time (because they just fall apart), does anybody have a recommendation for a hard-wearing Hivis backpack that doesn't fall apart?

I am tempted to get a decent daypack made for mountaineering, but they don't come in HiVis and I walk the Cess too often to not want Hivis.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
Which bits are falling apart? The NR ones used to come apart (haven't tried the newer ones) where the shoulder straps attach to the bag, but I've never had one I've repaired come apart again. I use thick waxed thread though, the type for leatherworking.

Juliet Barvo

Which bits are falling apart? The NR ones used to come apart (haven't tried the newer ones) where the shoulder straps attach to the bag, but I've never had one I've repaired come apart again. I use thick waxed thread though, the type for leatherworking.

It's always the stitching, which is really difficult to restitch. five layers of material is too tough for the sewing machine. Hand stitching is difficult, I've just had a needle imbed itself in my finger as I tried to push it through and I was using a thimble but it slipped.

Then the netting perishes

Ladder23

Established Member
The new issues network rail ones ain’t much better, they have annoying clips which come undone if they turn, which when being bumped around on the train with people can easily happen, and before you know it whoops the straps come off and the bag falls off a shoulder

alxndr

Established Member
It's always the stitching, which is really difficult to restitch. five layers of material is too tough for the sewing machine. Hand stitching is difficult, I've just had a needle imbed itself in my finger as I tried to push it through and I was using a thimble but it slipped.

Then the netting perishes
I'll admit, I tend to get the pliers out for mine!

Get a decent hiking backpack then just stitch a high viz vest onto it?
Or a hi-vis cover. It's one extra step to faff around with, but would also make it waterproof if you got one of those.

Stigy

Established Member
Would the company not issue a replacement? If it’s essential kit, they should provide it?

Juliet Barvo

Would the company not issue a replacement? If it’s essential kit, they should provide it?
Yeah, but it's a complete waste. Waste not want not. And when you throw it over your shoulder and the seam splits, ordering a replacement doesn't help you carry everything for the rest of the day

Wall87

Had to order a new one the other day as I lost one of them stupid clips that pop out. Will probably arrive in time for Xmas 2022 :lol::lol:

I recommend Mil-Tec assault pack in medium. Can’t fit much in the small. I currently wear a rucksack for work 4 days a week. Very hard wearing & can be bought for a reasonable price on eBay

TheRailMan

Restitching my Hivis Backpack for the third time (because they just fall apart), does anybody have a recommendation for a hard-wearing Hivis backpack that doesn't fall apart?

I am tempted to get a decent daypack made for mountaineering, but they don't come in HiVis and I walk the Cess too often to not want Hivis.
They’re supposed to come apart, it’s in case you get stuck in a machine or anything you can quickly escape.. I remember moaning about them and that’s what I got told.

alxndr

Established Member
They’re supposed to come apart, it’s in case you get stuck in a machine or anything you can quickly escape.. I remember moaning about them and that’s what I got told.
If it’s like the NR ones the straps are supposed to come apart at the buckle to release you if it gets caught, not sure the actual stitching of the bag is supposed to. Carrying anything remotely heavy in ours for a few months would have the stitching where the strap joins the bag split open resulting in the bag crashing to the floor as you walked or put it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.