• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historical - 36 Leeds - Harrogate - Ripon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
Today the 36 is a flagship service of Transdev Harrogate and District. It was when I was a kid and West Yorkshire Road car (WYRCC) ran it.

The 36 is in the 1936 WYRCC timetable. Its is a through service. You can see it Here

By 1941, it had been split into 2 services. Leeds - Harrogate was WYRCC, and Harrogate - Ripon was United. The 1941 WYRCC timetable will be on timetable Wold some time around new year.

I got a 1954 United timetable today. It's still split at Harrogate. Harrogate - Ripon has its own United service number (126).

But by 1956 it was a through service again. Again you can see it here in several tables.

Does anyone know why the through service was canned some time between 1936 and 1941? Was it a wartime measure (as I think it probably was)?
Also, why did it take until some time between 1954 and 1956 for it to be restored? It seems odd as Ripon was an Army town, or perhaps they wanted through traffic to go by train to save motor fuel.

Links are to Timetable World website which shows images of timetables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RT4038

Established Member
Does anyone know why the through service was canned some time between 1936 and 1941? Was it a wartime measure (as I think it probably was)?
Also, why did it take until some time between 1954 and 1956 for it to be restored? It seems odd as Ripon was an Army town, or perhaps they wanted through traffic to go by train to save motor fuel.
To hazard a guess, I expect the split was introduced during the war for vehicle allocation purposes (retain the largest/newest/fastest vehicles on busiest section, at a time when capacity was very tight) and quite possibly this was an issue in the immediate post war period due to new vehicle delivery delays, and general inertia. Could have been to avoid Ripon crews travelling long journeys through the blackout? When passenger numbers started to dip around 1954 onwards, and the vehicle position had been alleviated, bus companies started looking around for commercial opportunity and reinstated the through service? Mere speculation however!

Status
Not open for further replies.