• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holborn and the Aldwych Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Did the Holborn expansion ever happen that would have severed the Aldwych branch?

Not yet I don’t think.

No indeed - the building works which would sever the link relate to expanding the station to provide another way up to the street (and an alternative link between the two lines), and nothig has happened about this yet. I think the extra route to/from the Piccadilly would entail building near the KX end of the Picc platforms, and this would mean losing the track link to the disused platform. But - as with Camden Town plans etc - there's no money in the short term for building work that major. (And perhaps there are lower average peak loadings post-COVID such that the worst of the rush-hour bottlenecks at Holborn aren't so bad or so frequent, and hence it can more easily be de-prioritised.)

There was some provision made for the new Holborn works when the area was used for access during Crossrail tunnelling nearby (I think a bit of that no-longer-needed Crossrail excavation would be part of the new link tunnels, and I believe that one of the surface buildings which was used for the Crossrail works is still in TfL's hands and would be the site of the extra station entrance/exit (on the Holborn one-way system on Proctor Street). But no doubt the need for much of the sub-surface excavation still to happen, and the equipping with lifts, escalators, etc, means that the Crossrail leftovers wouldn't make much of a dent in the cost of the planned extension.

Not unfair at all. 3229 is the last remaining silver Tube train that was operational. For a generation of people this is more poignant than the museum’s 38 stock train. It is rather unfortunate 3229 seems to have got into a state during Covid, but nonetheless that was mainly cosmetic. Fact is it was in good condition, had been under a maintenance regime, and was a runner, with supply of spare parts seemingly not a problem.

If that was indeed the last of the silver tubes, then it does seem strange not to hang on to it; as said, it would be more iconic for some people than the '38 stock. (Though both are significant memories for me.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
As a 90s kid I have to agree that the 72TS is far more relevant for recent generations, especially as it represents the 67TS also. The only 'service' 38TS I've been anywhere near is 483007, and that was after its withdrawal!

steeevooo

If being relevant for recent generations is the criteria for salvaging, then we had better scrap all of those steam locomotives...!

Status
Not open for further replies.