• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Horn sounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Is there a set rule on the national railway network about when a horn should be sounded? On the preserved railway I volunteer at we sound the horn when first setting off but on the main line the drivers don't always seem to do that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
There’s no requirement to sound the horn when departing a station on the main line.

The horn is required to be sounded:

At whistle boards (low tone only and between 0600-2359).
When seeing permanent way workers or anyone else on or near the line.
When undertaking a wrong direction movement.
Before movement on a depot (unless the depot operating instructions specify otherwise).
As a warning to other trains if there is an emergency of some kind.
Any other time the driver considers it necessary.

The RSSB rule book module TW1 section 45 is where the above instructions are laid out.

Bigfoot

Aslef have issued instructions to their drivers to sound both tones at whistle boards until the rulebook is changed.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Is there a set rule on the national railway network about when a horn should be sounded? On the preserved railway I volunteer at we sound the horn when first setting off but on the main line the drivers don't always seem to do that.

The preserved line I volunteer on does exactly the same thing, and I can see absolutely no need for it.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
It has been issued.

I have seen the circular in work and it was discussed at branch.

Dieseldriver

I find it incredible that more Drivers don't blow two tone warnings at whistle boards if I'm honest. I've always done it and my actions are entirely backed up by the Rulebook anyway as it states I may use the warning horn additionally as I see fit.
I will always see fit to give as much warning to members of the public using foot crossing as reasonably possible of my approach, if anything for my own peace of mind if I ever bowl one of them over.

Eyersey468

Established Member
The preserved line I volunteer on does exactly the same thing, and I can see absolutely no need for it.
I've always been told it's in case anyone has got onto the track unseen, its a CYA rule I suppose. Which preserved line do you volunteer at if you don't mind me asking?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I find it incredible that more Drivers don't blow two tone warnings at whistle boards if I'm honest. I've always done it and my actions are entirely backed up by the Rulebook anyway as it states I may use the warning horn additionally as I see fit.
I will always see fit to give as much warning to members of the public using foot crossing as reasonably possible of my approach, if anything for my own peace of mind if I ever bowl one of them over.

What about W boards at other locations? -we've got a few which are nothing to do with crossings.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Always whistled both tones at crossings. Amazing that we must give both for PTS trained track workers but only low tone for a member of the public who usually associate train with a werp werp from a very young age.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Is the horn not sounded on departure on on preserved lines as an acknowledgement to the guards right away signal green flag/lamp ?

theironroad

Established Member
Always whistled both tones at crossings. Amazing that we must give both for PTS trained track workers but only low tone for a member of the public who usually associate train with a werp werp from a very young age.

I think with foot crossings, the instructions are clear and that the person wishing to cross must be fully focused. Must look both ways before crossings, only cross when safe to do so. Track workers (lookouts aside) are probably focused on the task they are doing, and while a safe method of working should be in place,they are primarily focused on something else rather than looking out for trains.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
I think on preserved lines it is done when leaving stations to add to the "atmosphere" for those on the stn platform.... after all it is the only place where they are likely to be able to hear the horn/ whistle from outside the train isn't it?

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
I think with foot crossings, the instructions are clear and that the person wishing to cross must be fully focused. Must look both ways before crossings, only cross when safe to do so.

You mean like they do at zebra/ pelican crossings?

theironroad

Established Member
For drivers who have access to ASLEF circulars the relevant one is circular number 475 dated 16.8.18

Johncleesefan

Exactly this, we have the aslef bulletin up saying to use two tone until the rule book is changed and rumours are going round that Comp managers will “mark you down” on a ride if you do as it’s not in the rule book. But you can always back yourself up by saying you see it necessary as stated in the rule book

SPADTrap

Established Member
I think with foot crossings, the instructions are clear and that the person wishing to cross must be fully focused. Must look both ways before crossings, only cross when safe to do so. Track workers (lookouts aside) are probably focused on the task they are doing, and while a safe method of working should be in place,they are primarily focused on something else rather than looking out for trains.
Makes sense until you bowl someone over on a crossing.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is the horn not sounded on departure on on preserved lines as an acknowledgement to the guards right away signal green flag/lamp ?

Could have sworn on the Caledonian Sleeper that the driver would give a tone on departure from a station to the guard presumably for the above reason?

Makes sense until you bowl someone over on a crossing.

I must admit I was thinking that. Of course in theory a crossing user will be fully focused and appreciate the risks of crossing an open railway line. In reality however? Therefore its far better for all concerned that a driver give it both tones so there can be no doubt that a clear warning was given.

causton

Established Member
Could have sworn on the Caledonian Sleeper that the driver would give a tone on departure from a station to the guard presumably for the above reason?

I have heard on some loco hauled stock (ScotRail or Cumbrian Coast or Norwich maybe?) that the horn is used on departure and I presumed it was for that reason too!

Status
Not open for further replies.