• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby 2021 Range - Predictions, Announcement, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
The Hornby 2021 range is being announced on Tuesday 5th January 2021 at 1000. You can pre-order the 2021 catalogue for £9.99 on Hattons now: https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=950 and Kernow Model Rail Centre will be showing the range at http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/765/Hornby-2020-Range. Hornby will be showing the range on their website as well, of course: www.hornby.com/uk-en/

What does everyone think will be announced? What do you hope for in the new range? Do you not care at all? Answers on a postcard please :)

Personally, I'm thinking it'll be mainly steam engines with next to no modern stuff, as with the 2020 range announcement (although for this year the main focus was the 100th anniversary of the Hornby brand). I'd quite like to see Hornby venture into the modern market, perhaps with a Class 150, 152, 156, 166, 175, etc. A re-release of the Class 800 (or maybe even an 802 in separate coach packs) would be very well-appreciated too, if it was for a reasonable price!

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
I'm hoping for more Clan's and some Gresley Teak stock in BR maroon. Clan's change hands for silly prices on ebay and the LNER Teaks were recently updated so I'm hoping some can appear in BR maroon as a logical next step.

Some different HST liveries seem likely with the GNER class 91 coming out, hopefully we can get a GNER HST too. Also strongly rumoured is a TP 802 and updated Mk4's to go with the new 91's.

I too would like to see more modern stuff from Hornby.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Far too much steam and barely any modern image.
They do what makes them the most money. If steam sells better than modern image, then that is likely to be on offer. I suspect there will be few, if any, totally new models, just versions of previous models, but with livery or number variations.

Established Member
very True. :lol:
The Hornby 2021 range is being announced on Tuesday 5th January 2021 at 1000. You can pre-order the 2021 catalogue for £9.99 on Hattons now: https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=950 and Kernow Model Rail Centre will be showing the range at http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/765/Hornby-2020-Range. Hornby will be showing the range on their website as well, of course: www.hornby.com/uk-en/

What does everyone think will be announced? What do you hope for in the new range? Do you not care at all? Answers on a postcard please :)

Personally, I'm thinking it'll be mainly steam engines with next to no modern stuff, as with the 2020 range announcement (although for this year the main focus was the 100th anniversary of the Hornby brand). I'd quite like to see Hornby venture into the modern market, perhaps with a Class 150, 152, 156, 166, 175, etc. A re-release of the Class 800 (or maybe even an 802 in separate coach packs) would be very well-appreciated too, if it was for a reasonable price!

-Peter
I would like more modern items but I suppose that some are a bit area specific and may only have one livery that they won't sell that well.

I know that Bachmann are currently redoing the 150 (like the 158) and I think Northern, GWR and ATW liveries are going to be produced and they have done the 3 car 166 in the past in FGW livery. I like the idea of a 175 or the larger cousins of the 180 being produced which are now well traveled on the GWML, ECML and now the MML and a number of liveries can be produced.

Some different HST liveries seem likely with the GNER class 91 coming out, hopefully we can get a GNER HST too. Also strongly rumoured is a TP 802 and updated Mk4's to go with the new 91's.

The TPE 802 is mentioned in the 2020 Catalogue so maybe it was due this year but got pulled.

Personally I would like to see another MML HST preferably in EMT/R livery but Hornby could do a 'last of the Paxman's' pack or even a Ex Grand Central pack in the EMT revised livery.

Other possibilities which most can be done on existing modeling:
TPE 802 and maybe a Hull Trains 802
MK4's and DVT to go with the 91's.
TFW 67 which would go with the MK4's.
153's in TFW and Scotrail.
maybe 90's in LSL intercity and Grand Central (could go with Mk4's)

Peter C

Established Member
I'm hoping for more Clan's and some Gresley Teak stock in BR maroon. Clan's change hands for silly prices on ebay and the LNER Teaks were recently updated so I'm hoping some can appear in BR maroon as a logical next step.
I'd be interested to see both of those; I've always thought the 'Clan' locomotives look quite nice and so one would go quite well on my layout :) I've also seen various models of 'teaks' in different liveries and they also look nice so it would be nice to see them done by Hornby 'on mass'.

I'd love a GNER HST if it's for a reasonable price - maybe a 'proper' Hornby one and a RailRoad one, using the different toolings respectively, could be nice. A TPE 802 would be lovely as well and I can see that going well with peoples' Class 68s from Dapol.

Class 390 in the Avanti Pride livery.
That would be a very nice unit to see done; I expect it would be like the Beatles Eurostar in terms of the vibrant colours and different livery. I expect it could be easily done seeing as that livery is currently out-and-about and the Eurostar one hasn't been around for many years!

They do what makes them the most money. If steam sells better than modern image, then that is likely to be on offer. I suspect there will be few, if any, totally new models, just versions of previous models, but with livery or number variations.
I expect steam will sell better than modern image for many more years to come; I say this as I believe there's a high chance that, after those who remember steam largely pass on, steam won't be modelled in the same way (i.e. people modelling places they remember) and so modern image might become more popular. I stress 'might'!

very True. :lol:

I would like more modern items but I suppose that some are a bit area specific and may only have one livery that they won't sell that well.

I know that Bachmann are currently redoing the 150 (like the 158) and I think Northern, GWR and ATW liveries are going to be produced and they have done the 3 car 166 in the past in FGW livery. I like the idea of a 175 or the larger cousins of the 180 being produced which are now well traveled on the GWML, ECML and now the MML and a number of liveries can be produced.
That's a key point which I hadn't thought of. Units such as a Class 313, for example, have many liveries they could use, but units such as a 377 have only really carried one livery. Having said that, a 377 in the 'Thank You NHS' livery Southern have done could be a nice compliment to the Class 66 Hornby made.

Personally I would like to see another MML HST preferably in EMT/R livery but Hornby could do a 'last of the Paxman's' pack or even a Ex Grand Central pack in the EMT revised livery.
If Hornby really wanted to push the boat out, they could potentially make a 'Last of the HSTs' pack, in the same way as they made a collection for the NRM 'Great Gathering': they could include the two GWR HST railtour powercars, the two used on the LNER HST railtour, and the two used on the last EMR HST service. They could potentially also make a pack focusing on the changing years of the HSTs recently, and could therefore include the powercars I've listed and two ScotRail ones to show where the HSTs have gone. Maybe even the two Midland Pullman ones :)

Other possibilities which most can be done on existing modeling:
TPE 802 and maybe a Hull Trains 802
MK4's and DVT to go with the 91's.
TFW 67 which would go with the MK4's.
153's in TFW and Scotrail.
maybe 90's in LSL intercity and Grand Central (could go with Mk4's)
I would personally love to see all of these done. I expect a Class 153 in ScotRail bike-carrying unit livery would be quite interesting. Hornby could also make a GWR Class 802 end car set in the 'Thank You NHS' livery as carried by 802020 to compliment their Class 66; if sold for a reasonable price, this could be a good model.

-Peter

RPI

Established Member
Hopefully a re run of the class 50 TTS sound decoders, I emailed hornby about 3 months ago and they did say they would be doing another run they just weren't sure when.

Peter C

Established Member
Hopefully a re run of the class 50 TTS sound decoders, I emailed hornby about 3 months ago and they did say they would be doing another run they just weren't sure when.
That would be something I'd very happily pre-order or buy. I've been saving up my pennies in case they announce something I'd like :D
I think I'd get a Class 50 TTS decoder and a Class 31 - my Class 50 currently uses a 31 TTS decoder and so I could swap the two decoders over to get the right sounds in the right engine.

-Peter

RPI

Established Member
That would be something I'd very happily pre-order or buy. I've been saving up my pennies in case they announce something I'd like :D
I think I'd get a Class 50 TTS decoder and a Class 31 - my Class 50 currently uses a 31 TTS decoder and so I could swap the two decoders over to get the right sounds in the right engine.

-Peter
I pushed the boat out and bought a loksound 5 decoder with Jamie Goodman sound, much better than TTS but also about three times the price and I have three other class 50's to convert!

Back on topic, I'd like to also see some NSE MK1's

BRblue33

I'd like to see Class 207 DEMU . 4 cig or 4 big EMU. But not like there VEP with all the faults . Plus Class 319. There is a kit for a 319. That you can build.

Last edited:

RPI

Established Member
I'd really like to see some AC stuff like a 304 but I think that's dreamland

AM9

Veteran Member
I'd like to see Class 207 DEMU . 4 cig or 4 big EMU. But not like there VEP with all the faults . Plus Class 319. There is a kit for a 319. That you can build.
Do they offer a 769 upgrade kit with gender sleds for the DTs and a means to clear the pantograph well for the TfW livery?

Established Member
That's a key point which I hadn't thought of. Units such as a Class 313, for example, have many liveries they could use, but units such as a 377 have only really carried one livery. Having said that, a 377 in the 'Thank You NHS' livery Southern have done could be a nice compliment to the Class 66 Hornby made.
I would personally love to see all of these done. I expect a Class 153 in ScotRail bike-carrying unit livery would be quite interesting. Hornby could also make a GWR Class 802 end car set in the 'Thank You NHS' livery as carried by 802020 to compliment their Class 66; if sold for a reasonable price, this could be a good model.
The GWR 802 is not a bad shout as it would also compliment the 800's that I have as well. I suppose the ROG's 47 could be done as well which would go well with the Bachmann ROG's 37 possibly as part of the railroad/railroad plus range.

If Hornby really wanted to push the boat out, they could potentially make a 'Last of the HSTs' pack, in the same way as they made a collection for the NRM 'Great Gathering': they could include the two GWR HST railtour powercars, the two used on the LNER HST railtour, and the two used on the last EMR HST service. They could potentially also make a pack focusing on the changing years of the HSTs recently, and could therefore include the powercars I've listed and two ScotRail ones to show where the HSTs have gone. Maybe even the two Midland Pullman ones :)
I never knew Hornby did a special collection for the NRM great gathering.

Hornby have already done a GWR 'first and last' pack which includes 43002 and 198 which were on the last service and substituent tour so it's probably likely that Hornby will look at other HST's lasts like LNER and EMR and where they have ended up like the Midland Pullman, Colas and DATS for test trains.

Peter C

Established Member
The GWR 802 is not a bad shout as it would also compliment the 800's that I have as well. I suppose the ROG's 47 could be done as well which would go well with the Bachmann ROG's 37 possibly as part of the railroad/railroad plus range.
If done right, they could all be good models. By 'being done right', I mean that Hornby would give x% of each sale to NHS charities, or other good causes, as they did with 66731 last year. But they need to make sure they don't have a rush of people trying to buy them; maybe not limiting production runs would be best.

I never knew Hornby did a special collection for the NRM great gathering.
Here it is on Hornby's website: https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-great-gathering-collection

Hornby have already done a GWR 'first and last' pack which includes 43002 and 198 which were on the last service and substituent tour so it's probably likely that Hornby will look at other HST's lasts like LNER and EMR and where they have ended up like the Midland Pullman, Colas and DATS for test trains.
That would be a nice idea. They could then potentially take the GWR, LNER, and EMR 'last HST' packs they've made and release them as one big thing for the diehard collectors. I would definitely love to see a Midland Pullman HST announced next week.

-Peter

365 Networker

It would be nice to see them do a 365 or 465, I can’t see that happening anytime soon though.
I would be surprised if there are not any MK4s announced to go with last years Class 91.

Peter C

Established Member
I'd like them to do a NSE liveried Class 442 and a maroon Class 309.
That first one would be particularly well-liked by myself as I'm not prepared to cut up countless old Mk3s and scour the interwebs in a bid to find kits for 442 front ends!

It would be nice to see them do a 365 or 465, I can’t see that happening anytime soon though.
I would be surprised if there are not any MK4s announced to go with last years Class 91.
The 466 Hornby made several years ago was very well-received from what I can tell (the main evidence for this being you don't really see many people moaning about them/for sale that often). A re-run would be brilliant and a 365 even better.
I'm expecting Mk4s as well as a Mk4 DVT for the Class 91s but I'm not holding out much hope as I would have thought they'd do at least some Mk4s to go with the 91 announcements.

SR EMUs-please!
This seems to be a major section of Britain's railways which hasn't been tapped into in as much detail as other areas (cough cough steam cough cough) by major manufacturers: yes, Bachmann has produced quite a few different Southern Region units, and Hornby made a Class 466 ages ago, but we've never seen a RTR Class 313, 465, 442, 444, 455, 458, 460, 377, etc. from Hornby, Dapol, Bachmann, Heljan, Rapido, and the like. Out of the manufacturers I've just listed, I'd put (a small amount of) money on Rapido being the most likely to produce some modern image or SR EMUs, seeing as they've already shown they can do interesting trains such as the APT-E and even the small LNER J70.

-Peter

MotCO

Established Member
How about a 230/484? This could be made in Island Rail, TfW and Marston Vale liveries, as well as Underground livery.

Rikki Lamb

That first one would be particularly well-liked by myself as I'm not prepared to cut up countless old Mk3s and scour the interwebs in a bid to find kits for 442 front ends!

The 466 Hornby made several years ago was very well-received from what I can tell (the main evidence for this being you don't really see many people moaning about them/for sale that often). A re-run would be brilliant and a 365 even better.
I'm expecting Mk4s as well as a Mk4 DVT for the Class 91s but I'm not holding out much hope as I would have thought they'd do at least some Mk4s to go with the 91 announcements.

This seems to be a major section of Britain's railways which hasn't been tapped into in as much detail as other areas (cough cough steam cough cough) by major manufacturers: yes, Bachmann has produced quite a few different Southern Region units, and Hornby made a Class 466 ages ago, but we've never seen a RTR Class 313, 465, 442, 444, 455, 458, 460, 377, etc. from Hornby, Dapol, Bachmann, Heljan, Rapido, and the like. Out of the manufacturers I've just listed, I'd put (a small amount of) money on Rapido being the most likely to produce some modern image or SR EMUs, seeing as they've already shown they can do interesting trains such as the APT-E and even the small LNER J70.

-Peter
If you can withstand the unflinching crudity of MTK kits then https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/nononsensekits/mtk/nnk-mtk-detail-parts/4-40453 sorts the 442 cab fronts

Peter C

Established Member
If you can withstand the unflinching crudity of MTK kits then https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/nononsensekits/mtk/nnk-mtk-detail-parts/4-40453 sorts the 442 cab fronts
They look alright at first glance but they do seem quite crude when you properly look at them, as you say.

-Peter

===============

Seeing as the Hornby 2021 range announcement is now coming in under an hour, it may interest people to watch this livestream from Jennifer E. Kirk where she'll be going through the range as it is announced; from what she said in her livestream last night, she's also asked Hornby to send her details of the range at 10:00 just in case the Hornby site goes down - this might prove to be the way to get to see/hear the range ASAP! Here is the link:
She's going live at 0930.

-Peter

===================
For those having issues with Hornby's website: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/6-hornby/

-Peter

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Class 390 in the Avanti Pride livery.

Called it! https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/n...dolino-train-pack-390119-progress-era-11.html

On the 25th of August 2020 Avanti West Coast unveiled a new livery for one of its train-sets. Billed as the biggest Pride flag the UK has seen on the side of a train, the new livery wraps the full length of the 11 carriages in the Progressive Pride flag colours. The first service of this newly liveried train was staffed by a LGBTQ+ crew with the train filled with literature, stories and colourful posters featuring Pride related information as well as fun facts during the onboard announcements. It was announced in mid-October, after asking the public to submit suggestions, that the train would be named ‘Progress’. Five additional coaches in Avanti Pride livery are available allowing this set to be expanded up to a 9-car set. The coaches required to do this are R40196 – R40200.

They're even doing additional vehicles in the Pride colours. Well played Hornby!

Peter C

Established Member
Called it! https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/n...dolino-train-pack-390119-progress-era-11.html

They're even doing additional vehicles in the Pride colours. Well played Hornby!
And continuing the Pride theme, they're producing 800008: https://www.hattons.co.uk/619180/ho...train_pack_era_11_due_jul_21/stockdetail.aspx

These are the models which people asked for on here and have been released:
- Clans
- New Mk4s, and DVTs
- LNER Farewell railtour HST, powercars and all coaches
- Class 67 in Transport for Wales livery
- Class 153 in ScotRail bikes livery
- Midland Pullman HST, powercars and all coaches

There are no Southern Region EMUs, no 'Lion', and no other IETs. There are also no GNER HST powercars or coaches. However, there are some interesting diesels so we should appreciate them. I would recommend searching around if you want to buy one of the new models; not all models have been showcased on RMWeb and there are some much better prices on Hattons and Kernow Model Centre.

I've definitely found a few models I'd like to get ;)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Well I'm very happy about BR Clan's coming back and some new Intercity MK3 SLEP's :)

There are a few surprises in amongst too. More modern stuff than I anticipated and plenty of budget railroad items too.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The new 'Junior' range (whatever it's called - replacing the Paddington set) looks quite good too; with the bonus of being expandable now.

MotCO

Established Member
I've just seen the Hatton's website. What I don't understand is why the Class 47 is £67.50, but a Class 60 is £170.50.

Iskra

Established Member
I've just seen the Hatton's website. What I don't understand is why the Class 47 is £67.50, but a Class 60 is £170.50.
They have two different ranges. One is the most up to date models. The other is the railroad range which are cheaper, simpler models which are either old or ex-Lima models that are re released, these are aimed at budget modellers and are subsequently quite cheap.

Peter C

Established Member
They have two different ranges. One is the most up to date models. The other is the railroad range which are cheaper, simpler models which are either old or ex-Lima models that are re released, these are aimed at budget modellers and are subsequently quite cheap.
It should also be noted that Hornby brought in a 'Railroad Plus' range last year (I think) - these seem to form the bulk of the Railroad announcements today. They're more detailed models than standard Railroad but not as detailed as 'full-fat' Hornby models.
I'm very happy with the announcement of the Key Workers DB Cargo 66 and the Thank You NHS ROG 47 - they're near the top of the list of models I'd like to get to go with my Capt. Tom Moore 66 from last year.

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.