• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby 2021 Range - Predictions, Announcement, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
If prices deter purchasers the more the merrier in sales like the current up to 50.01% discount offers by Kernow on 68 Hornby models.
(My bold)
My thoughts exactly. Hornby need to be shown that this isn't on. Kernow's sale does look very good indeed.

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatvoyager

Established Member
Which has (a fairly high, in my opinion) chance of damaging their business more.

-Peter
I don’t get Hornby’s approach sometimes. I have to say though that my most recent purchase (a Hornby Railroad Smokey Joe) is the most reliable model I currently have.

Peter C

Established Member
I don’t get Hornby’s approach sometimes. I have to say though that my most recent purchase (a Hornby Railroad Smokey Joe) is the most reliable model I currently have.
A lot of their models are very good - Smokey Joe and the Ruston 48DS are examples. But this isn't the rule for their entire range from what I've heard and so it adds to the issue of charging too much.

-Peter

Spamcan81

The rumour was, Hornby ordered say 500 locos, sold 400 to shops, but have sold more on their website than expected so are cancelling shop oreders to profiteer on their own website rather than order more or enough in the first place.

Poor show Hornby, my orders are changing as a result.

FGW HST or Class 800 anyone?
I had two preorders for different versions of the W1 cancelled by Hattons but surprise, surprise, they were available from Hornby at a higher price.

TheEdge

Established Member

Hornby are out there playing 4D chess while the rest of us look on in bemusement. They seem to be falling out with the big shops that can afford to fight them, treating the small retailers who need them with utter distain and treating their customer base as a captive market and treating them like fools. Meanwhile start ups are quietly producing things at decent prices and the smaller makers like Dapol are starting to produce some decent things.

What really got my goat up is how long it takes them to produce or re-livery and reissue normal models but when they wanted to jump on the bandwagon (Trainbow, NHS, Captain Tom) those got done real fast...

SCH117X

Established Member
I understand the Capt Tom 66 took the place of other items being produced which were consequently delayed. Like most Hornby are dependent on production slots being available in the Chinese factories and UK orders are pretty small fry compared to those received from the USA; that is certainly an issue Bachmann Europe experience with the Kader factory giving priority to orders placed by Bachmann Trains USA. Hornby do not help themselves with listing variants of a model being available in different quarters when in fact if the Chinese factory is going set up the tooling it is going to produce all the variants that have been okayed for production; sometimes this has lead to some appearing earlier than predicted by Hornby.

reddragon

Established Member
In the 1970's the only real choice was Hornby, then along came Lima & Mainline. Whilst Hornby looked OK, ran OK, they could barely haul a couple of coaches. Lima looked good and pulled full length trains albeit with a roar, whilst Mainline looked much better but were a bit fragile.

Now Heljan offer bargain products at a fair price, with a little roar. If you want top quality, the list grows by the month!

Hornby cannot live on their name and a few steam locos forever.

SCH117X

Established Member
Not sure Heljan offer bargain products rather its a case that they get heavily discounted once shop sales tail off. The new GWR AEC Railcar is £189 pre any discount.

Peter C

Established Member
I understand the Capt Tom 66 took the place of other items being produced which were consequently delayed.
Playing devil's advocate, I guess Hornby may have put their 66731 model high-up on the list of things to get made so it would keep some more of its value - there's a case to be made that a model made around a specific year could lose some of its value if it was released a while after that year had ended. Although I've managed to debunk that theory by remembering their "Thank you key workers" DB Cargo Class 66 from the 2021 range, as well as the ROG "Thank You NHS" Class 47!

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.