• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby - Lima Couplings

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good afternoon, Does anyone know if there are wagons/guards vans etc OO Gauge, that have a traditional Hornby or even the very old Hornby Coupling at one end and the Lima / Liliput loop type coupling that is found on HO gauge European Gauge carriages etc at the other end? I have looked on various model shop websites and ebay, but could not see anything. Not quite sure what the correct name of this would be. I know such things do exist because a mate had one, but that was bought years ago in South Africa.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
None that I can think of Steve. What are you trying to achieve?
You could buy a more modern brake van and fit a tension lock in one end and a loop style in the other as modern stuff has NEM pockets so easy to swap couplings around...
My Bachmann class 108 has a loop style coupling between the carriages like this:

5967FD5D-E7AC-466B-8411-0921F11F67A9.jpeg

I lost one once but it was easy to buy a pack of new ones from my local model shop.
They keep it coupled nice and closely together.
Older Hornby and Lima stuff has enormous tension locks fitted but they’re usually part of the bogie moulding or the whole thing is screwed to the chassis of a wagon etc.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank for for that suggestion, yes, that is the type of coupling on the European carriages that I have recently purchased. I have cobbled together a temporary coupling, but it is not ideal. I shall scout round the local model shops and see what I can find.

K Macdonald

Is this the kind of thing you mean?
Hornby Converter Wagon
It has an old-style Hornby coupling at one end, and the "newer" Triang-Hornby style at the other.
e.g.
https://www.hattons.co.uk/401980/Ho...ment_coupling__Imperfect_box/StockDetail.aspx

R577A-PO01_3434792_Qty1_1.jpg

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Is this the kind of thing you mean?
Hornby Converter Wagon
It has an old-style Hornby coupling at one end, and the "newer" Triang-Hornby style at the other.
e.g.
https://www.hattons.co.uk/401980/Ho...ment_coupling__Imperfect_box/StockDetail.aspx

R577A-PO01_3434792_Qty1_1.jpg
Many thanks for this, infact, I did manage to get one of those via Hampshire Models on Ebay and also on Ebay one that links with the other Continental loop type couple too, so I can do several permutations of running on the layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.