• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby OO Couplings

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Have Hornby recently changed the size of their couplings on 00 stock.?

My friend kindly bought me a Railroad BR MK1 Composite Coach M 15625, & I went to run it on my layout earlier, but when I took it out of the box, the couplings was much smaller than the usual, which are about an inch wide semicircle loop thingy, this new one was about 1/2 - 1/4 inch in size, although the hook that joins onto the next coach wagon was only a little shorter than before. It did couple up and ran ok, I just wondered if anyone knows what is happening here?

tks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Hornby have steadily been changing to the narrower couplings for a number of years now. The narrower ones are considered better by many people.....Apparently....

D6975

Established Member
Have you not got any Bachmann models?
The couplings on their products are much narrower and far less obtrusive. They do work well as well. This style of coupling was first introduced on British models by Airfix, way back in the late 70s.

Mugby

Established Member
Not sure about coaching stock but have you considered customising your wagons by fitting three link couplings?

Monty

Established Member
The modern ones used by both Bachmann and Hornby are even narrower that the Airfix offerings. It's probably about as good as it's going to get for the tension lock coupling. Personally I use screw and 3 link couplings but then again I have gone mad. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.