• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How are emergency speed restrictions (ESRs) implemented?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoff

Can someone tell me how speed restrictions are implemented. As only a passenger I can just guess that signals next to the track would be too late for trains at high speed so there must be some system to inform drivers by making them stop at a previous section to be told of a new restriction or by notice for something planned in advance.

The reason I'm interested is due to this report:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/overspeeding-trains-between-laurencekirk-and-portlethen
...two passenger trains passed through an emergency speed restriction located between Laurencekirk and Portlethen stations, at speeds of up to 100 mph (160 km/h), significantly exceeding the temporary maximum permitted speed of 40 mph (64 km/h)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Assuming you mean an emergency speed restriction (ESR), usually due to an unexpected deterioration of the infrastructure, or some other safety of line issue...

A person competent to impose the speed restriction calls the controlling signaller to explain the restriction. The signaller will then contact all drivers of trains that are to be routed on the affected section of line to advise them. This is usually done by holding the controlled signal before (in rear) of the affected Section at danger, and only clearing it when the message has been communicated and understood.

Meanwhile, the relevant permanent way team will be making the necessary calculations for positioning the speed boards, and making arrangements to install them at the earliest opportunity. This may take up to a couple of hours. When all the boards are in place, the signaller is contacted and he/she will then withdraw the ‘stop and caution’ arrangements.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
If you go onto the RSSB's website and download Rulebook Module SP then it will provide great detail in how speed restrictions are set up. OP is essentially correct though, there are signs next to the track that denote a warning for the restriction, with an AWS magnet, giving sufficient time for the driver to brake to slow for the restriction. There are then further boards that denote the start and end of the restriction.

In case of an emergency speed restriction, as opposed to temporary, an additional warning is provided, so you will pass a warning for the warning board, then the warning board, then the commencement board, with an appropriate braking distance inbetween the warning board and the commencement board.

The difference between a temporary and emergency speed restriction is that temporary speed restrictions will be published in advance in notice cases and weekly operating notices, so drivers should be expecting them. An emergency speed restriction will never have been published in such a way, hence the additional warning.

Details are scarce on the RAIB case that you link but it looks like the signage wasn't implemented properly.

From Rulebook Module SP:

tsr.jpg

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
So in the incident linked to, the ESR was set up but the only warning for drivers was a printed notice at the booking on point... I would have still thought the signaller would caution trains until lineside signage was provided, as a "belts and braces" approach? Especially with such a big reduction in speed...? Edit: in fact this is a rule book requirement is it not?

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
Disappointing to see that this happened not more than a month after RAIB released a report on a similar topic (driver being unaware of a recently imposed TSR and speeding through it)

mcmad

For blanket speeds like that mentioned, signage isn't usually provided. In fact is there not a maximum length of ESR permitted in the rule book beyond which signage alone isn't sufficent?

theironroad

Established Member
If you go onto the RSSB's website and download Rulebook Module SP then it will provide great detail in how speed restrictions are set up. OP is essentially correct though, there are signs next to the track that denote a warning for the restriction, with an AWS magnet, giving sufficient time for the driver to brake to slow for the restriction. There are then further boards that denote the start and end of the restriction.

In case of an emergency speed restriction, as opposed to temporary, an additional warning is provided, so you will pass a warning for the warning board, then the warning board, then the commencement board, with an appropriate braking distance inbetween the warning board and the commencement board.

The difference between a temporary and emergency speed restriction is that temporary speed restrictions will be published in advance in notice cases and weekly operating notices, so drivers should be expecting them. An emergency speed restriction will never have been published in such a way, hence the additional warning.

Details are scarce on the RAIB case that you link but it looks like the signage wasn't implemented properly.

From Rulebook Module SP:

View attachment 88394

For clarity, the excerpt diagram from the rule book currently in this post by intermodal (post #3) at time of my posting is of a TSR (temporary speed restriction) rather than an ESR. An ESR has an additional AWS magnet and an Emergency Speed Indicator (colloquially known as a 'dalek').

In terms of notification, since an incident on the ECML a few years ago, all operators of trains over network rail infrastructure should be notifying drivers in advance of any current ESR via late notice cases (or digital equivalents where allowed).

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
So in the incident linked to, the ESR was set up but the only warning for drivers was a printed notice at the booking on point... I would have still thought the signaller would caution trains until lineside signage was provided, as a "belts and braces" approach? Especially with such a big reduction in speed...? Edit: in fact this is a rule book requirement is it not?
The signaller would caution yes until advised all trackside signage is in place. They would do it from one signal to another or from a suitable point such as a level crossing so would often be much longer than the actual ESR itself.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Another one of these. Basically if a driver books on at say 4am and it's not in the notice case they know nothing about it. Relying on a fax (when the printer is out of paper or often not working) is frankly ludicrous in a safety critical industry.

theironroad

Established Member
Another one of these. Basically if a driver books on at say 4am and it's not in the notice case they know nothing about it. Relying on a fax (when the printer is out of paper or often not working) is frankly ludicrous in a safety critical industry.

Yeah, it's not great.

I think most, if not all, tocs are (slowly !) moving towards tablets (with DAS) or real time DAS systems in cab so that as soon as Network Rail implement a ESR/BSR etc then the driver is notified.

The paper shuffling is archaic.

Stigy

Established Member
Nobody should have to rely on a fax machine in 2021.

John Webb

Established Member
RAIB published on Monday 15th Nov 2021 their report on "Trains overspeeding between Laurencekirk and Portlethen, Aberdeenshire 4 December 2020".
See https://assets.publishing.service.g...27/R082021_211115_Laurencekirk-Portlethen.pdf

Summary
On 4 December 2020, six trains exceeded a reduced speed limit which was temporarily in force between Laurencekirk and Portlethen, Aberdeenshire. A 40 mph (64 km/h) ‘blanket’ emergency speed restriction (BESR) had been imposed from the start of service on that day until 09:00 hrs, because of a forecast of heavy rain with the associated risk of an earthwork failure obstructing the line. In some instances, trains travelling through the BESR reached the normal maximum permitted speeds which varied along this length of line up to 100 mph (161 km/h) for the trains involved. In other instances, the reduced permitted speeds were exceeded for only parts of the BESR. The actual amount of rainfall was not sufficient to cause any earthwork failures, and no accident occurred.

The investigation found that some drivers were unaware of the BESR as they approached it, and others were unaware of its exact extent. A notice, displayed in the late notice cases at the locations where the drivers reported for duty, was the only information about the BESR provided to drivers. This notice did not convey information in a way that could be readily understood and remembered when drivers needed to apply it. Lineside signage is not used for BESRs and no other reminder was provided as trains approached the restriction. The BESR notice gave the limits in terms of both mileages and lineside features, but these did not correspond to each other. ScotRail had not recognised that use of the late notice case was an unreliable way to implement BESRs. However, some managers had improved reliability by local additions to the formal system. Although not directly relevant to the incident, RAIB observed that the BESR form contained in Network Rail procedures, and variants used in Scotland and on other routes, had shortcomings compared with good practice in human factors.

RAIB has concluded that the railway industry has more work to do to establish a suitable method for the imposition of speed restrictions, in response to extreme weather that has the potential to endanger infrastructure.

RAIB has made two recommendations and identified two learning points as a result of this investigation. The first recommendation seeks an improvement to the BESR notices provided to drivers and the second seeks a review of the methods used to implement blanket emergency speed restrictions. The learning points cover the importance of drivers being aware of information contained in late notices, and the need for safety critical communications to provide clear and unambiguous information.

Llama

Established Member
For blanket speeds like that mentioned, signage isn't usually provided. In fact is there not a maximum length of ESR permitted in the rule book beyond which signage alone isn't sufficent?
That used to be the case but disappeared out of the rule book many years ago, maybe mid-2000s IIRC. Pretty sure from memory if the length of the ESR was more than a mile and a quarter you'd get stopped and told, even if the boards had been put out. Think there was possibly a similar rule if the ESR was less than 20mph too, or I might be misremembering.

Edit: found it, from the old pre-'Jack & Jill' rulebook, section U:

"Advice of a severe or long emergency speed restriction
4.2.4.1 The Signaller will advise you of the circumstances before you
arrive at an emergency speed restriction which is either:-
• more restrictive than 20 m.p.h., or
• greater than 2 km (or 1¼ miles) in length
4.2.4.2 This arrangement will continue, even when the necessary
lineside equipment has been erected, until the Signaller is
advised that all Drivers passing over the affected portion of
line are being notified by means of a special advice or notice"

Last edited:

Annetts key

Established Member
RAIB observed that the BESR form contained in Network Rail procedures, and variants used in Scotland and on other routes, had shortcomings compared with good practice in human factors.
Hmm, that will be most railway forms….

With respect to the blanket speed restrictions, I personally have never been keen on these arrangements. Far too easy for human error.

And all to ‘save’ more delays caused by doing it as per the normal ESR procedure where the signaller brings all trains intending to travel through the affected area to a stop so that the signaller can instruct the driver on the speed restriction details.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Hmm, that will be most railway forms….

With respect to the blanket speed restrictions, I personally have never been keen on these arrangements. Far too easy for human error.

And all to ‘save’ more delays caused by doing it as per the normal ESR procedure where the signaller brings all trains intending to travel through the affected area to a stop so that the signaller can instruct the driver on the speed restriction details.
Or just use a berth triggered GSMR broadcast

Sheridan

Or just use a berth triggered GSMR broadcast
Is that feasible in mechanically signalled areas such as the ones under discussion here? (I’m aware that mechanical signalling does not preclude track circuits and I have no direct knowledge of the areas in question.)

Falcon1200

Established Member
With respect to the blanket speed restrictions, I personally have never been keen on these arrangements.

Me neither, but it is worth noting that these restrictions differ from other TSRs or ESRs (imposed because of a definite, known issue) in being precautionary, ie severe weather is forecast so something might happen. If imposed sufficiently in advance, this should allow NR Controls to advise TOC Controls in plenty of time for advice to be sent to and displayed at every Driver booking-on location, this in turn of course depends on accurate and location or area specific forecasts being supplied to, and acted on by, NR Controls.

Is that feasible in mechanically signalled areas such as the ones under discussion here? (I’m aware that mechanical signalling does not preclude track circuits and I have no direct knowledge of the areas in question.)

Yes absolutely. Berth triggered GSM-R broadcasts are used extensively now in Scotland to advise of blanket speed restrictions and they work wherever GSM-R is in operation. GSM-R is an entirely separate system from the signalling system so will work regardless of whether you're travelling in an Absolute block section signalled by semaphores or an axle counter area with LED colour light signals.

mcmad

so if there is no track circuit/axle counter, what triggers the berth message?

Sheridan

Yes absolutely. Berth triggered GSM-R broadcasts are used extensively now in Scotland to advise of blanket speed restrictions and they work wherever GSM-R is in operation. GSM-R is an entirely separate system from the signalling system so will work regardless of whether you're travelling in an Absolute block section signalled by semaphores or an axle counter area with LED colour light signals.
Ah yes, thanks for the explanation.

so if there is no track circuit/axle counter, what triggers the berth message?

The GSM-R system utilises a network of radio masts that cover a set area known as cells. Once you enter the relevant cell the message is triggered. I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge on the system will be able to explain it better but as a driver that's how I believe it works.

cin88

In Absolute Block/Electric Token Block/other manual signalling areas where cell broadasts are used on the GSMR, they play in the cab of any train in that cell once every x minutes, rather than when a train enters the cell area.

You basically just have to make sure that every train passing through the cell area will hear it at least once by setting the broadcast interval lower than the typical section running time for trains in that area.

headshot119

Established Member
The GSM-R system utilises a network of radio masts that cover a set area known as cells. Once you enter the relevant cell the message is triggered. I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge on the system will be able to explain it better but as a driver that's how I believe it works.

Berth triggered broadcasts aren't available everywhere, and it isn't dependent on the method of signalling as to whether the they are, it's all down to if the area has a train describer, and if that train describer is linked to the GSMR system. A berth triggered broadcast is played to one specific train, when the trains headcode steps into a specific train describer berth.

What you are describing are cell broadcasts, these are not train describer berth triggered, but will play to all trains within that cell area. There are also limitations on what these can be used for.

Status
Not open for further replies.