• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How are train companies charged for electricity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRoute

The link refers to the metering using 5 minute measurement periods, what's the reason for this? Is it for modeling and monitoring the load on the system, for planning train movements within the electricity supply rating?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

uww11x

So whats cheaper for a TOC, diesel or electricity? Is there a price insentive for TOCs to want expansion of the electrified network or are the TOCs quite happy with diesel, especially given a diesel unit or locomotive can go anywhere.
Diesel is cheaper in a Anglo/Scottish flow

Annetts key

Established Member
Aside from traction power, station operator TOCs are, I believe, responsible for their own electricity at stations.

In some locations, the station or depot will be supplied by electricity from the Network Rail electrical distribution system. Hence there will be a meter so that Network Rail and the TOC (or other company, e.g. retailer) can agree on usage and payment.

D365

Veteran Member
I've got a bizarre image of TOC employees feeding 10p coins into the consumption meters of their trains; this could presumably become a pretty lively task when going up a serious incline.
Essentially, that is what happens on electric vehicles fitted with meters, only digitally!

Elecman

Established Member
In some locations, the station or depot will be supplied by electricity from the Network Rail electrical distribution system. Hence there will be a meter so that Network Rail and the TOC (or other company, e.g. retailer) can agree on usage and payment.
Correct or on an agreed % of the overall bill or on an agreed kWhr consumption basis

pieguyrob

I've got a bizarre image of TOC employees feeding 10p coins into the consumption meters of their trains; this could presumably become a pretty lively task when going up a serious incline.

Surely they would use 50p's for the inclines!

There was I thinking that at some central location was a man with a coin meter and a very large pile of 50p's.

I was thinking the same thing!

I worked for a utility company some years ago and Railtrack (that was) had a hour hourly meter at every signal, point or other infrastructure etc. There was also a complex arrangement where some braking electric trains feed back to the grid

Dai Corner

Established Member
I worked for a utility company some years ago and Railtrack (that was) had a hour hourly meter at every signal, point or other infrastructure etc. There was also a complex arrangement where some braking electric trains feed back to the grid
Did you or your colleagues have to gain Personal Track Safety (PTS) accreditation and walk many miles to visit all those meters to read them?o_O

Did you or your colleagues have to gain Personal Track Safety (PTS) accreditation and walk many miles to visit all those meters to read them?o_O
I was office based. Half hourly meters are automatically read every half hour and the data fed back to the data operator - sometimes in analogue form so there would have been colleagues in the field who had to go on and inspect the meters every so often

Elecman

Established Member
No when a Meter Operator or DNO operative have to go lineside they will be under Track Visitor Arrangements with a COSS and Lookout. Virtually all Network Rail Electric and Gas meters are now AMR ( Automatic Remote Readable) meters so can be dialled up. The problem occurs with faulty Comm Modems the and or SIM cards that then require rectification/ replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.