• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How busy have your trains been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Only 2-car I see and that's before the uplifts of Monday week. Best have some 769s in service Monday week to free up DMUs.
Yes, they all seem to be 2 car today, assumed that was normal at the moment although obviously I'm a bit out of touch with it all!

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Busy

Despite having reinstated some trains, a lot of my trains are arriving at Victoria as 8-car and having 4 carriages detached meaning more people having to cram into less space... More people seem to be travelling during the evening in my experience

Emaharg

How busy are GWR/LNER trains this weekend. I am planning to do an All Line rover from Thursday, as I am South West based it will be the first voyager out on Thursday morning and avoid this area for a few days. Disappointed not to see LNER north of Edinburgh this coming week, but understandable.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Did Cambridge-Manchester and return yesterday. A mixed bag...

1) 0924 Cambridge-Brighton (as far as Stevenage). Lightly loaded -doubt more than 20-30 passengers on whole train.

2) 1056 Stevenage-Leeds (LNER). Very quiet, about 10 people in my carriage, and next carriages either side looked equally quiet

3) 1317 Leeds-Wigan Wallgate (as far as Manchester Victoria). Reasonable trade, quite a few folk making short local journeys a few stops. Busiest between Rochdale and Manchester Victoria (about 15 in my carriage)

4) 1839 Manchester Oxford Road-Norwich (as far as Ely). Short formed as 2 car, but busy as far as Nottingham - one person on most pairs of seats. Much quieter after Nottingham, but several making long trips

5) 2217 Ely-King's Cross (to Cambridge). Empty. Back 3 carriages to myself, only one other passenger got off at Cambridge.

Metrolink trams in Manchester City centre looked well-loaded in the main

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The 20:30 EMR HST (6 car of which 4.5 Standard Class) from Leicester to Loughborough was fairly spread out yesterday. A few in each carriage, maybe up to 20. A few on it purely for 43 traction but most looked like ordinary passengers.

Slightly off-topic but both branches of Wetherspoon in Loughborough were quite busy outside! However the service was prompt and efficient.

The 21:46 return from Loughborough to Leicester was a bit emptier on a 5-car unit of which 3.5 Standard Class; maybe 10 per carriage average.

Not having been on that line much if at all, I am not sure how busy those trains would have been pre-COVID.

DannyMich2018

The 20:30 EMR HST (6 car of which 4.5 Standard Class) from Leicester to Loughborough was fairly spread out yesterday. A few in each carriage, maybe up to 20. A few on it purely for 43 traction but most looked like ordinary passengers.

Slightly off-topic but both branches of Wetherspoon in Loughborough were quite busy outside! However the service was prompt and efficient.

The 21:46 return from Loughborough to Leicester was a bit emptier on a 5-car unit of which 3.5 Standard Class; maybe 10 per carriage average.

Not having been on that line much if at all, I am not sure how busy those trains would have been pre-COVID.
I've not been to Loughborough for many years now so be interesting to see what it's like now.

Pre-Covid loadings on EMR services to and from St Pancras were generally good much of the day on both Nott and Sheffield routes (Nott-St Pancras semi fast always well used in my opinion, of course much of the business is from intermediate stations).
With 4 trains an hour south of Leicester overcrowding is never a problem barring the occasional service (pre Covid). unlkie many other Intercity routes.
EMR services were very busy on Sunday with most Meridian services I seen double sets, this possibly caused by works at King's Cross and the problems with the 800/801s.

greyman42

Established Member
How busy are GWR/LNER trains this weekend. I am planning to do an All Line rover from Thursday, as I am South West based it will be the first voyager out on Thursday morning and avoid this area for a few days. Disappointed not to see LNER north of Edinburgh this coming week, but understandable.
LNER has been carrying fresh air since the start of the pandemic and still seems to be very lightly loaded.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Afternoon trip Cambridge North-King's Lynn and back today. Probably 3-4 cars' worth of passengers on the 8 car train each way.

LNER has been carrying fresh air since the start of the pandemic and still seems to be very lightly loaded.

I was on several trains last summer that had most reservable seats occupied.

PTR 444

Established Member
I was just about to wonder the Class 800 issue will lead to people shunning LNER and GWR long term if it persists for as long as people are suggesting. Or knowing leisure travellers, will they just pack in like sardines on whatever trains there are in the South West and North East?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I was just about to wonder the Class 800 issue will lead to people shunning LNER and GWR long term if it persists for as long as people are suggesting. Or knowing leisure travellers, will they just pack in like sardines on whatever trains there are in the South West and North East?

Leisure travel seems to bounce back well. Heck, we had 4 months last year where everybody was basically told to piss off across the board, and it recovered respectably well.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Was at Didcot Parkway on Sunday afternoon.
The 800s were full and standing throughout, the platforms looked really busy.

The 8 car 387 to Reading had every seat taken

philosopher

Established Member
Was at Didcot Parkway on Sunday afternoon.
The 800s were full and standing throughout, the platforms looked really busy.

The 8 car 387 to Reading had every seat taken
I dread to think what this would have been like pre Covid. It would have made the tube at rush hour look quiet!

james60059

Leisure travel seems to bounce back well. Heck, we had 4 months last year where everybody was basically told to piss off across the board, and it recovered respectably well.
And even when rules were relaxed, some TOC's continued with that mantra too (Northern, I believe was one of them).

galwhv69

Recently noticed that the AM (around 7-9am) Bromley South/Orpington - Victoria stoppers have been full and standing by Brixton

infobleep

Veteran Member
And even when rules were relaxed, some TOC's continued with that mantra too (Northern, I believe was one of them).
Not to mention the fact some TOCs, for what ever reason, didn't run additional services until September.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Is it me or are Thursday's and Friday's much busier than Mondays - Wednesday's. The tube seems busier and trains to/from Euston in the evening are busier on Thursday's and Friday's, than they are on Monday's and Tuesday's.

Non Multi

13/5/21 My first journeys since last December:

1929 GWR, 8 car 387, Maidenhead - Slough; Not busy, plenty of empty seats.

2014 TFL Rail, Slough - Burnham (Bucks); Somewhat busy with a number of commuters heading home. Plenty of space between everyone being a 9 car train.

Last edited:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I travelled from Newark to Newcastle (and return) last Thursday on LNER and the northbound train was reasonably loaded with the southbound one having one person occupying most pairs of seats.

greyman42

Established Member
Is it me or are Thursday's and Friday's much busier than Mondays - Wednesday's. The tube seems busier and trains to/from Euston in the evening are busier on Thursday's and Friday's, than they are on Monday's and Tuesday's.
I think that has always been the case.

greyman42

Established Member
I travelled from Newark to Newcastle (and return) last Thursday on LNER and the northbound train was reasonably loaded with the southbound one having one person occupying most pairs of seats.
That could be partly due to 800 issue, but i think the semi fasts are usually busier than the fasts.

Sm5

2347 London Bridge to Epsom last night, had less than 10 on it.
despite there being nothing from Victoria (engineering), no direct Thameslink left, being express to Mitcham and after last trains on the Beeches line...

Pick your choice of Saturday night service after last orders pre-Covid, you’d be lucky to get on it.

London is an odd place generally, saturday night, no tourists, very few people out partying, even for an FA cup day, there didnt seem to be anyone about, beyond workers or such like.

I was at KX Tube at 2pm on a saturday afternoon mid April, I was one of 3 on the southbound Victoria platform, Oxford Circus.. no one got on or off as far as I could see.. eerie.

I have noticed an increase in homeless on stations, but in retrospect I think they stand out more now, due to the lesser number of passengers.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
2347 London Bridge to Epsom last night, had less than 10 on it.
despite there being nothing from Victoria (engineering), no direct Thameslink left, being express to Mitcham and after last trains on the Beeches line...

Pick your choice of Saturday night service after last orders pre-Covid, you’d be lucky to get on it.

London is an odd place generally, saturday night, no tourists, very few people out partying, even for an FA cup day, there didnt seem to be anyone about, beyond workers or such like.

I was at KX Tube at 2pm on a saturday afternoon mid April, I was one of 3 on the southbound Victoria platform, Oxford Circus.. no one got on or off as far as I could see.. eerie.

I have noticed an increase in homeless on stations, but in retrospect I think they stand out more now, due to the lesser number of passengers.

I did a short hop on a Brighton-Cambridge service on the GN side earlier. Still quite lightly loaded, only 1-2 people per carriage, which is still pretty low for Sunday afternoon. Perhaps the current poor weather will have contributed.

Stevenage station was very quiet, but Hitchin was comparatively busy, Letchworth dead.

So still quite a bit of variability it seems.

galwhv69

I took an SWR service from CLJ to WIM today (2M35) and was surprised at how busy it was (all seats taken and some people standing) considering that it's a Sunday and it's heading out of London at that time (day trippers would leave earlier?)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Did TransPennine on the Hope Valley yesterday, which seems to be bouncing back in leaps and bounds, although still not crowded. Even late evening trains are attracting good numbers.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It's a long shot but if anyone happens to be travelling on the 11:01 Reading to Gatwick Airport service later (17/05), I'd be interested in knowing how busy it is. It wasn't running last week but tomorrow all the reservations have been taken or no reservations have been released.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not sure if the trains are busier today. I was on the 9:35 Guildford to Waterloo via Woking.

A fair number wanting to board, as well as those already on the train. On the carriage I got on there was 14 people.

However, maybe this service would have been just as busy last week when I wasn't on it. Last week, if I'd been travelling around this time, I would have been on the 9:34 Guildford to Waterloo via Cobham service, as the 9:52 Woking to Waterloo service via Surbiton was running. So I'd have had nothing to compare it to.

At Worplesdon, at least 3 people were waiting to board.

The 9:35 departed Guildford 5 minutes late and arrives into Woking 4 minutes late. It helpfully uses platform 1 so same platform change. However, since it was using platform 1, as booked, it delayed the 9:52, which arrived 2 minutes late and departed a minute late. Before that, it had been on time.

So I wonder if timetable performance is starting to drop now that passengers are starting to return?

The 9:52 had 7 people get off, including a member of staff, I was in the fifth carriage and there were 4 people in it.

I counted 5 people at West Byfleet waiting to board but didn't see if anyone was towards the up end of the platform.

I wonder if it would have been this busy last week had it run or has the changing rules brought more people out?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It's a long shot but if anyone happens to be travelling on the 11:01 Reading to Gatwick Airport service later (17/05), I'd be interested in knowing how busy it is. It wasn't running last week but tomorrow all the reservations have been taken or no reservations have been released.
Not travelling on it but I counted 10 passengers aboard 166201 on the 1101 Reading to Gatwick Airport today as it came over the crossing at Reigate.

Around 15-20 on the return working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.