• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How busy have your trains been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimbleshanks

My highly scientific litmus test is the number of cars parked in the 'overflow' parking area in the road round the back of Purley station. (I rarely use the trains myself these days.) Whereas in the past up to 30 of these might be taken by lunchtime on a weeday, it rarely gets above 20 now. But the numbers have been creeping up over the last few months.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davews

Maybe this should have its own thread...

John Redwood's diary today (https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2021/11/25/tfl-trains/) has him discussing the trains between Twyford and London - TFL one way, GWR the other. He claims the trains could be 2 or 3 coaches as they are little used and is a totally negative commentary. He doesn't mention Crossrail at all, surely as an MP he knows about that. I don't use that line myself but cannot imagine it being as he describes. Comment as you feel fit - he moderates comments and there is often a long delay before they appear but he seems to let most things through. About to pop up to London for the day on a no doubt busy train from Martins Heron.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member

John Redwood's diary today (https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2021/11/25/tfl-trains/) has him discussing the trains between Twford and Reading - TFL one way, GWR the other. He claims the trains could be 2 or 3 coaches as they are little used and is a totally negative commentary. He doesn't mention Crossrail at all, surely as an MP he knows about that. I don't use that line myself but cannot imagine it being as he describes. Comment as you feel fit - he moderates comments and there is often a long delay before they appear but he seems to let most things through. About to pop up to London for the day on a no doubt busy train from Martins Heron.

The Twyford - Reading section is pretty much end of the line for a lot of services that call at Twyford (I commuted it for a bit in 2001).

It wouldn't surprise me if they were somewhat busier nearer to London.

Does he mention how his Wokingham services are doing these days ?

davews

Slight error, he was discussing Twyford to London, not Reading (now corrected). Suggest you read the article. Not sure why he used Twyford rather than Wokingham which would probably be quicker than TFL to London.

Last edited:

Non Multi

John Redwood's diary today (https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2021/11/25/tfl-trains/) has him discussing the trains between Twyford and London - TFL one way, GWR the other. He claims the trains could be 2 or 3 coaches as they are little used and is a totally negative commentary. He doesn't mention Crossrail at all, surely as an MP he knows about that. I don't use that line myself but cannot imagine it being as he describes. Comment as you feel fit - he moderates comments and there is often a long delay before they appear but he seems to let most things through. About to pop up to London for the day on a no doubt busy train from Martins Heron.
I'm afraid his blog post tallies with my own experience of the western end of the route, which is my local line. I rarely reported back my own local journeys on this thread as it would have made for depressing reading without the caveat that the previous inner suburban operator GWR usually did run 3 car DMUs off peak, or 6 cars during the peaks before electrification 3-4 years ago, which normally matched demand. The peak trains were always absolutely packed at the London end.

The fabled 'sparks effect' did start to happen before the pandemic, but virtually all that sudden passenger growth seems to have vanished, sadly. The 9 car Crossrail 345s are really designed for straphanger journeys in Greater London. Other than WiFi, colour information screens and aircon, they're internally very spartan.

Twyford-Paddington is faster than Wokingham-Waterloo due to the higher line speed, fewer station stops and is a shorter, straighter route.

cambsy

On Moderation
I travelled on Lumo again, Weds 1st November, out on 10.45 Kings Cross-Edinburgh, which was about 80 per cent full, and back on the 16.12 Edinburgh-Kings Cross, which was probably about 50-60 per cent full, the Lumo service is well loaded when i have travelled on it, though be interested to see. how it loads, now the promo fares are gone.

The Ham

Established Member
I've said this elsewhere and haven't been challenged on the numbers.

Pre Covid commuting and business travel was 70 out of 100 passengers.

It's been quoted that commuting has been cut in half, so that's a reduction of 35.

That means that commuting now accounts for 35 out of 65 passengers.

Given that we are at about 65 passengers out of 100 passengers pre Covid, the other passenger numbers (i.e. leisure travel) must be fairly close to 100% of their pre Covid levels (as 30 out of 100 and 30 out of 65 matches the other part to the commuting values).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I've said this elsewhere and haven't been challenged on the numbers.

Pre Covid commuting and business travel was 70 out of 100 passengers.

It's been quoted that commuting has been cut in half, so that's a reduction of 35.

That means that commuting now accounts for 35 out of 65 passengers.

Given that we are at about 65 passengers out of 100 passengers pre Covid, the other passenger numbers (i.e. leisure travel) must be fairly close to 100% of their pre Covid levels (as 30 out of 100 and 30 out of 65 matches the other part to the commuting values).

People want to go back to the office

However, people don't want to go back to the office every day.

The Ham

Established Member
The reduction is more than that.

If the fall from commuting has fallen by more than 35 out of 100 (35 being 50% of the 70% which made up the commuting numbers pre Covid) then non commuting travel must have increased above pre Covid numbers for us to be seeing 65-70% of pre Covid passenger numbers.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If the fall from commuting has fallen by more than 35 out of 100 (35 being 50% of the 70% which made up the commuting numbers pre Covid) then non commuting travel must have increased above pre Covid numbers for us to be seeing 65-70% of pre Covid passenger numbers.

Yeah, as I wrote it I questioned myself.

I think the issue is your starting point. The % of revenue that was commuting / business was about 60% pre Covid.

Commuting is a little under half what it was, but business is much lower. Leisure is essentially back in full, particularly for shorter journeys. So take a little over half of the 60% away, add 40% leisure back, and you get the current revenue levels of 65-70%

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
The recovery is very patchy, by days, by times and by routes. Nationwide averages are a guide but there are huge differences to take into account.

Commuting is down by a massive amount with big reductions on Mondays and Fridays, but there's a lot more detail to work through, like leisure seems to be up on Fridays to partially compensate!

Here's an extract from a recent longer Northern Stakeholder briefing to illustrate the point.

1638537722186.png

DannyMich2018

Don't even think about using EMR or XC services today if you can. 10.54 Kettering to Nottingham. Standing room only. Due to reduced EMR services today its rammed. At least 50 couldn't get on at Leicester!! 11.50 Leicester to Birmingham NS rammed too. Many intending passengers been advised to go on 12.18 Birmingham NS which is nearly full now. I've heard some station staff at Leicester today saying its mayhem today!! 12.18 Leicester to Birmingham standing room only earlier even before leaving Leicester! 3-car 170. Many got on at South Wigston and Narborough, I got off at Hinckley, was so crowded then that quite a few were left behind on the platform at Hinckley!!

Last edited:

Vinnym

10.00 Liverpool Central to Ormskirk, 6 carriages and rammed, forgot there was racing at Aintree, first race at 11.15 so explains why so busy.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I am finding as others are commuting is still well down. I frequently use the 0822 WGC - Kings Cross. You often don’t need to share a double seat, but you will always get a seat. Something that wasn’t possible pre-pandemic. (Odd seats only). But then this is even worse when you consider that the Baldock and WGC - London services are not running. Moorgate services don’t leave people behind any more as you get closer to London.

regional services are about the same in my opinion as are intercity off peak. (I can’t back either of this with real data, just my feeling on the train)

On the 0852 arbroath to london KGX today, the train was very busy throughout especially in the quiet coach which i was in. The tubes from london KGX to waterloo (Victoria line to oxford circus then bakerloo) were busy but not full and standing which was after 3pm. Definitely can tell london was beginning to go back to normal

DannyMich2018

14.18 Leicester to Birmingham NS. For an off peak service this is very well loaded with at least 60% of seats taken. 14.13 to St Pancras from Leicester very busy even in 1st class. Been a Friday so close to Christmas is of course bound to be busy.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
3 carriages on the 9:45 Leeds-Manchester Airport today.

Oh dear.
That's 3 more than Leicester to Peterborough

Alterations to services between Birmingham New Street and Ely

Due to a shortage of train crew between Birmingham New Street and Ely:
Impact
Train services running through these stations have been suspended between Leicester and Ely. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Was on the 1400 London KGX to arbroath yesterday. Train was busy throughout the journey, tubes (waterloo to oxford circus then london KGX st pancras) were busy as well about 1300

Kite159

Veteran Member
Some very busy trains around Manchester area yesterday

Was at Doncaster earlier and saw a 5 coach 800 depart from Harrogate towards London looking very busy on board, the following train from Newcastle seemed to have all the reservations in the rear unit (it was a pair of 5 coaches) and I had a near private SC area on the 2nd coach [one other passenger].

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Watford to Birmingham and back yesterday on the 0914 out and the (late) 1910 back.

Ist class deserted , standard premier likewise. Standard pretty full. Local trains in a fairly shambolic (late running all over - very busy) - wet and miserable weather probably did not help optional "German" market traffic at Brum. Others of the party made trips from Liverpool , Southport , Marylebone and Bradford and mentioned trains were busy but "OK"

I suspect this was a surge of Xmas travelling before the inevitable restrictions (which I certainly fear) arise........

Train noticeably quieter today on the usual morning commute Blackpool North to Manchester, National Rail run stations reporting -20% footfall

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Any reports on train pax loadings since the mask restrictions and work from home were eased? I haven't been on a train myself since October 2021!

dk1

Veteran Member
Any reports on train pax loadings since the mask restrictions and work from home were eased? I haven't been on a train myself since October 2021!
Peak loadings have increased substantially into London. Off peak is slowly picking up again in a similar way to last time although January/February are typically low months anyway.

miami

Established Member
Took a Stoke-London train and back a couple of weeks ago, fairly busy in both directions, certainly in the return it was busier that I'd have expected at that time of a Tuesday evening, possibly because of the lack of trains.

dk1

Veteran Member
Off today but catching the 10:36 to Brundall. Norwich station itself is as busy as it ever was before the pandemic with all station outlets doing a decent trade. The 10:33 Stansted departing alongside with very healthy loadings & a fair crowd already waiting to board the 10:57 East Mids. The latter may be due to the temporary cancellation of the 09:55.

Trains from and to East Croydon to/from Victoria were busier Thursday than Monday. Still not busy and standing, though the train I got on the East Grinstead line (only 8 coaches) was packed on Thursday (0739 from Sanderstead).

Thebaz

Trains from and to East Croydon to/from Victoria were busier Thursday than Monday. Still not busy and standing, though the train I got on the East Grinstead line (only 8 coaches) was packed on Thursday (0739 from Sanderstead).
Normally I'm on that train too (0739) and have to stand until East Croydon at which point the odd seat becomes available. The other day I picked up the 0646 from Purley Oaks and was astounded to see the entire train empty at East Croydon and there was a minor crush with everyone trying to cross the footbridge to platforms 1 & 2 simultaneously to pick up quicker trains to London. Maybe there could be a better way of doing this like making some of the faster trains stop at Purley to facilitate earlier interchange? Coming back from London Bridge it's much easier to get a seat which sometimes make me wonder where all the other commuters go! Definitely seems busier trying to get back from Clapham J or Victoria in the evening peak

Status
Not open for further replies.