• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How did you get around London before the M25 opened?

How did you traverse London in the days before the M25?

• Drove through Central London

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Drove through the outskirts of London

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Drove via existing roads close to the alignment of the M25

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Drove via roads nowhere near London (A34, A27 etc)

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Used public transport

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • Didn’t make such journeys at all

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Not applicable as I wasn’t born then

Votes: 37 37.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
My recollection is that this section initially opened as an A road, generally referred to as the Potters Bar Bypass. I say this as I recall using it for multi-lane driving practice on L plates.

I think that’s right - the A1178. It was, perhaps, designated M16, but never got officially known as that. Certainly my OS Map c1974 says M16 on it though! (With it under construction).

Has the Dartford Crossing always been known as the A282, and was it designated as such so non-motorway traffic could use it to traverse the Thames?

I believe so, although there were (and are) still some restrictions on what can use it. And IIRC it used to be one of the few stretches of road in the country with a signed minimum speed limit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
My dad had a lot to do with the split level section heading west from Gordano at Bristol. I was chatting about it to him the other day and my grown up kids still call it ‘Grandads Motorway’.
One of my first, straight from university, was the M8 through Glasgow, limited to placing tree planting on the landscaping drawings as the engineering design was pretty much done. Mainly rowans, if you are interested. I occasionally go along there with colleagues nowadays and draw this to their somewhat reluctant attention. They are MY trees!
I have exactly that book somewhere! Not in that condition, mind.
The AA also did personalised itineraries as a members' service, from x to y, which I think were given up in the 1970s. They were assembled from a range of pre-printed A5 sheets that each covered about 10-20 miles, stapled together individually, printed on both sides so you could read one side on the outward, then turn it over for the return. Maybe some recall these too.

Now colleague from self-same university whose family came from Basingstoke, by the nature of our course, got a summer job at AA HQ there in this very personalised map production department, when it was on its last legs. He described the group of staff involved. There were a couple of elderly onetime road patrols, no longer fit for days on the road or under bonnets; there were likewise a couple of former secretaries who had zero geographical understanding. One supervisor had some understanding. There was a big rack down one side with all the pages kept loose, which they spent the day pulling out in the required combinations and putting together. Anything not covered by these was done, often the beginning/end of the route, was done on an old manual typewriter. The old boys, of course, didn't type, so would laboriously write this bit out by hand, and the onetime secretaries would type them out, misprints and all. Just the supervisor could answer "What about Reading to Cambridge?". "Oh, 177, 42, 36, 83" off the top of his head. Although the supervisor was meant to check them all, there were apparently plenty of complete nonsenses sent out. Letters of complaint about inaccuracies were pinned to the noticeboard, with choice comments scrawled underneath - said colleague who had an artistic bent said he used to do them sketches of what the complaining member might look like!

nlogax

Established Member
My dad had a lot to do with the split level section heading west from Gordano at Bristol. I was chatting about it to him the other day and my grown up kids still call it ‘Grandads Motorway’. :)
Excellent! One of my favourite stretches of motorway as a child, it was all so dramatic and different to other parts of the network. Used to look forward to seeing it on those long family drives to the west country; that is until my parents decided that they would give up taking the M4/M5 and use the M3 and A303 instead. Dullll.

Ediswan

Established Member
I think that’s right - the A1178. It was, perhaps, designated M16, but never got officially known as that. Certainly my OS Map c1974 says M16 on it though! (With it under construction).
Agreed. I found an undated Esso road map showing only this section and J7-9 (Gatwick Airport) as complete. The Potters Bar section is shown in blue as "M25", but also marked "(A1178)".

SteveM70

Established Member
The one time we drove to the other side of London when I was a kid was on a Friday night, aiming for a midnight-ish ferry from Dover. We left late as my dad was delayed at work, and he chose to go straight through the middle of London. We got hopelessly lost, and eventually needed to do a U turn in a narrow street with lots of parked cars. Dad, unused to driving a little motor home, smashed the headlights on a parked Jag and drove off. This astounded my sister and I, as my dad seemed very straight laced to us. Needs must I guess, because as it was after hammering down to Dover we got there with about 3 minutes to spare, at which point the motor home broke down.

Ediswan

Established Member
The AA also did personalised itineraries as a members' service, from x to y, which I think were given up in the 1970s. They were assembled from a range of pre-printed A5 sheets that each covered about 10-20 miles, stapled together individually, printed on both sides so you could read one side on the outward, then turn it over for the return. Maybe some recall these too.
I do recall the family once used one of those to take the 'scenic route' for a summer holiday in the 1960s. It worked well. I do recall part of it looking hand typed.

BrianW

Established Member
First* was A1 to Potters bar, 1975 (J23-J24). Although back then it was the M16.

I seem to recall the M16 as being the equivalent of Abercrombie's Ringway 3, which got sort of 'absorbed' into the M25 as plans 'developed' with the dropping of the 'Motorway Box' through Hampstead and reimaginings of how best to get by Watford as sections got through planning and how then to join them up. A kind of 'divide-and-rule' setting one suburbanised former village against another. I wonder how many objectors went on to use the road they objected to so vehemently?

Status
Not open for further replies.