• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How difficult is it to arrive or leave at all timetabled platforms. 5 year project to achieve this.

All platforms

I retired a few years ago and travelling has always been my thing but never much by rail given my commute for the last 20 years had been rammed Northern pacers and sprinters. Surely all trains were like this??

Enforced lockdown meant more time for utube and these forums so i got an education on the current state of the railways and how they work so a plan started to emerge especially after i caught up with Geoff + Vicky's epic adventure "all the stations" in 2017. Fabulous videos to my eyes. Wouldn't it be good to do something in the same vein but spread out over a number of years. My inner nerd kept saying "and you can actually get on or off at every station too" because i would have more time to do it this way. I would have to keep a record of course and take a time stamped pic at every station to prove i had visited. How hard could it be?

I did a test trip August 2020 once restrictions had eased to see if i could take a full day bashing up and down the same bit of track and used my last commute as the starting point. So the CLC route between Liverpool and Manchester Oxford Road it was. It went better than expected and as a result i formulated a specific plan. I would widen the scope to see if i could visit all platforms at each station. Again how hard could it be? This is probably the most ill informed decision i have ever made. I had no idea just how obscure so many of these could be and often at (very) anti social hours. And then there are the ones that only get used when engineering works are present or terminating (and/or departing) short, or even used to allow other trains to pass (Acton Bridge P1 i am looking at you). Never one to make a challenge easy i formulated some very strict rules for myself. I wanted to use the trains and platforms in as pure a way as possible and to tick the hard ones off by using the station/Platform as part of a journey - so starting/finishing stations could not be included. So this is what i formulated.

1. Get on or off a train at every timetabled Platform on mainland UK (and the IOW). RTT would be the arbiter here, and as fantastic a resource it is i have found there are a few gaps to work around. (Hello Skegness for example)
2. Keep a manual written record and a time stamped pic at every platform. I am fairly confident this is working OK.
3. First and last stations of the day cannot be used to tick off a new platform - use the train! - the only exception is if the ONLY occasion it is timetabled is the first or last train. (P4 Rock Ferry springs to mind)
4. If a station only receives a call once a day/week then for it to count you must walk to/from another station. No taxis buses cars or bicycles. (Polesworth from Tamworth has taken the longest so far)
5. Rail Replacement buses do not count. Do not count the station you were picked up from. Do not count the station you were delivered to.
6. If gaps are more than 3 hours between trains then walking to/from another station is allowed - otherwise wait it out. This has been increased from 2 hours since i did both platforms at Bordesley Dec 2020. Currently only 1 train a week of course but covid related timetables had some unexpected anomalies. Anyway, the actual 2 hours 25 minutes wait would have been a bit sporty in any event.

After about 9 months or so i realised that my original assumption was that would this would automatically include getting on and off at every station too. Not so, i realised, so i have yet to alight at Polesworth for example so this will have to be rectified. Polesworth and Pilning are both 1 platform use on a 2 track line. There are 2 single line examples which require a walk in/out - Finstock and Combe but i messed up at Ascott-under-Wychwood walking in both times from Charlbury, Doh! Hanborough is the other single line one i need to revisit but much easier to achieve of course. So...

7. Alight and set Down at every station has been included since September. Much trickier of course is rule 8 which will keep me occupied for much longer than originally intended.
8. Use all lines currently timetabled. This means both ways too. This is a new rule as i have become aware of the PSUL community. I have already bagged quite a few PSUL options but the PSUL options are more of a side project and some of them may have to wait a few years. If i can include them on an itinerary for the main project going forward all well and good.

I know quite a few members here will have already travelled on all these lines or intend to as a long term project of their own but i would be interested to know how long this took. I realise timetable changes over the years make some parts of whatever quest you are on easier, harder or down right impossible at different imes. All part of the great journey.... Patience required!!

I intend to write a report for each day including the actual completed itinerary and my thoughts on how each day went. This will be a snapshot of that day and any timings are what actually happened and not necessarily what was timetabled. I kept notes at the time which will aid me. However this will not include detailed notes on the train class or number though i do have some info. I have enough on my plate as it is and whilst i thought i could keep a record it was all i could do sometimes to keep to rule 2.

I have a visual record of achievements by using the colour highlighting ability within pdfs and have drafted in TOCsASv46.pdf to the cause. I am uncertain if it is possible to link to this because of any copyright or other term of use. Ditto a spreadsheet i am keeping of all of this. Can anyone advise on the possibles and not possibles here?

All in all my journey so far has been very positive. I have been fortunate to have had really good weather on the vast majority of days. I dont mind cold but rain is a pain and has thankfully pretty much been absent. I have also experienced very few cancellations but when they do occur it really does concentrate the mind to try and recover an itinerary. I thnk the biggest blow in that regard was my Marston Vale Line day when i was stranded at Stewartby for hours (day 37) and so far my only use of a Rail Replacement bus. Needless to say i couldnt count it due to rule 5..

I know my "rules" will appear arbitrary or even unnecessary to some but my intention was to travel everywhere on the rail network using all lines stations and platforms by actually using the trains. It also scratches another itch for the absolute variety of stations that can be found. Nethertown was a highlight and Havenhouse first thing on a summer morning was an idyllic contrast. I am quite a bit fitter than i would have been otherwise and find i have the temperament to wait for the next train without boredom. Sometimes i explore the local area or sit down with a book in some peaceful locale. Sometimes there may be a pub or cafe to sustain me. The variety is endless.

Lastly this journey allows me to indulge my other passion which is planning. RTT has been my faithful companion in this regard and i am sure i will be writing much more on the subject. It is quite an art form to try and craft the perfect itinerary and can take many many attempts to get something which covers your objectives in a reasonably efficient way. The various Rover and Ranger tickets cover much of the country and are a huge financial win compared to normal tickets with daily or multi day options. RTT also helps trying to decide if a platform is actually being used as well as cross referencing with other sources. Perhaps i like the planning element almost as much as the actual doing....

On to the reports.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Like you said the hardest platforms will be those 4 platform stations which have platforms on the 'fast' lines which are only used during engineering works which close the 'slow' lines. (Ie Great Western to Didcot, Midland Main Line, WCML etc

Or even on the ECML when some only have booked use by a peak time special (Biggleswade/St Neots spring to mind).

Plus those bay platforms which only see a couple trains a day, although the likes of Hereford & Huntingdon can be removed as those bays are no longer in use.

I wish you the best of luck

All platforms

Day 1: Sat 22 Aug 2020 - Cheshire Day Ranger £16.65 with senior railcard - valid all day at weekends. CP £1 at Warrington West
Total Time 697 mins - 325 mins on trains - 372 mins waiting for a train. Stations completed today 10. Itinerary posted below in a table format.

I know this line well as it was my final daily commute (between Warrington Central and Manchester Oxford Road). Back then an early start meant you could catch the c.6.45 TPE in some relative comfort but luck had to be with you on the return journey to get a seat and often it was Japanese levels of rammedness and a pacer to boot. If you were lucky it was a sprinter. Even the EM and TPE services were packed. No fond memories whatsoever here.

This was a test day to see if i could hack it and so chose what for me was the most boring line of all (my daily for many years). It was also one of the first days that unrestricted travel was allowed back on public transport so a masked day it was.

I do remember the new class 195 Northern trains being light years ahead of what i was used to but the odd horrors from yesteryear (class 150's) were still there. It was generally quiet compared to what it would normally be and a couple of the guards confirmed this. It was quite a warm day and i do remember the wait at Chassen Road being irksome. Humphrey Park was also above an hour wait and probably had the most boring platforms i have visited so far. It has a temporaray quality to it being one of the stations opened on an experimental basis in the mid 80's and probably has had no more than a fiver spent on it since then. Not good.

The awkward station of the day award went to Sankey for Penketh which only receives 4 trains a day now that Warrington West has opened and i chose the 3 minute between trains option to bag both platforms. 17.52 East / 1755 West. Bit of a run up the ramp across the bridge and a sprint down the other ramp to ensure success. The stations generally had an unkempt feel to them though i did enjoy my first visit to Liverpool Lime Street since all the remodelling was completed.

Would i do this again. You bet. I wanted to keep it local for the first few days so i could find my feet and confirm i wanted to commit to all of this. Where to next?

My photos are too big to attach so until i find a better way sorry.. Actual journey for the day attached below.

Warrington WestDepart
6.37​
*****NTstationsPlatforms
Liverpool Lime StreetArrive
7.02​
P7NTwait 6mcompletedcompleted
Liverpool Lime StreetDepart
7.45​
P8NTat completed
West AllertonArrive
7.56​
P3NTwait 15mstations
West AllertonDepart
8.11​
P4NT
8.24​
P7NTwait 50m
8.55​
P7NT
Mossley HillArrive
9.04​
P1NTwait 7m
Mossley HillDepart
9.14​
P4NT
9.24​
P7NTwait 12m
9.51​
P6EM
Liverpool South ParkwayArrive
10.02​
P1EMwait 6m
Liverpool South ParkwayDepart
10.08​
P2NT
Mossley HillArrive
10.12​
P4NTwait 15m
Mossley HillDepart
10.29​
P3NT
Chassen RoadArrive
11.20​
NTwait 66m
Chassen RoadDepart
12.26​
NT
1​
2​
GlazebrookArrive
12.36​
NTwait 34m
GlazebrookDepart
13.10​
NT
1​
2​
FlixtonArrive
13.18​
P1NTwait 12m
FlixtonDepart
13.30​
P2NT
1​
2​
PadgateArrive
13.44​
NTwait 18m
PadgateDepart
14.02​
NT
1​
2​
Humphrey ParkArrive
14.22​
NTwait 62m
Humphrey ParkDepart
15.24​
NT
1​
2​
Warrington CentralArrive
15.48​
P2NTwait 10m
Warrington CentralDepart
15.58​
P1NT
1​
2​
Trafford ParkArrive
16.24​
NTwait 30m
Trafford ParkDepart
16.54​
NT
1​
2​
WidnesArrive
17.28​
NTwait 19m
WidnesDepart
17.47​
NT
1​
2​
Sankey for PenkethArrive
17.52​
NTwait 4m
Sankey for PenkethDepart
17.56​
NT
1​
2​
HalewoodArrive
18.10​
NTwait 6m
HalewoodDepart
18.16​
NT
1​
2​
Warrington WestArrive
18.30​
*****NTto home

All platforms

Day 2: Saturday 29/08/2020 - Cheshire Day Ranger £16.65 with senior railcard - Valid all day at weekends. CP £2 at Warrington Bank Quay
Total time 772 mins - time on trains 344 mins + time waiting 428 mins. Stations completed today 14. Total completed 24. Itinerary below

Next test: How am i with early starts? Not a strength whilst working but i have found it be less of a problem as time progresses. Today start is at Warrington Bank Quay for the early Northern train terminating at Ellesmere Port. I will have to do this early start at least 4 times to cover all the stations between Helsby and Ellesmere Port. There have been various permutations these last 2 years but usually there is a very early return journey and one in the early evening. I like to finish before 7pm if possible so its the early for me.

First stop Stanlow & Thornton which looks very eery in the morning gloom. I was the only person on the train that day which was a first for me. The silence was deafening once the train had departed and the whole area looking like an abandoned factory. Pipes galore were in evidence from the bridge giving the impression of something that was once quite important and huge. I just soaked up the atmosphere on the station and didn't wander too far. You could just make out the train stood at Ellesmere Port station from the bridge. Its a straight piece of track between the 2 stations which are approx 2 miles apart. Wonderful stuff.

Next stop is Earlestown as at this time the return train went to Leeds. Earlestown P4 is on a triangle and together with p5, are a minute or 2 away from the rest of the platforms. A quick explore round the neighbourhood found me sampling the first of many bacon butties from a deli/cafe. Back to Warrington and doubling back again to Newton-le-Willows where i found quite a set of stairs to negotiate between platforms. Yes i will be fitter after this.

2 more platforms at Liverpool Lime Street then i find myself shuttling back and to on the Chat Moss line including a very sporty sprint over the bridge at St Helens Junction to catch the other line. note to self - do not rely on timetable timings as tight as this. I got on just as the doors were closing and have no wish to repeat this unseemly dash. There have been other close calls since but none intended that way. Part of the problem is how long it takes to get between platforms. It can take up to 5 minutes in some places and i have no desire to run more than a few yards these days.

This line is much busier than the CLC lines last week which in fairness i was advised would be the case from a guard last time out. What i hadnt reckoned with and hadnt taken into account of was Bank holiday weekend. The train from Broad Green into Liverpool at 13.01 was rammed with revellers off to some great party. I got on before i fully realised and squeezed past folk onto the single seat next to the toilet at the back of a carriage. Too busy for me and so resolved to turn for home. However once at Liverpool Lime Street the train home was very quiet and so decided to do more of the CLC lines. I had done the more awkward stations on this line the previous week and would have a more straightforward time of it and would carry on until it got busy - which it never did surprisingly.

To be honest this last bit was more of a chore than enjoyable but it had to be done and better to get it done as early as possible

Warrington Bank QuayDepart
5.42​
*****NTstations completed
Stanlow & ThorntonArrive
6.06​
NTwait 14mplatforms completed
Stanlow & ThorntonDepart
6.20​
NT
1​
2​
EarlestownArrive
6.53​
P4NTwait 37m
EarlestownDepart
7.30​
P5NT
Warrington Bank QuayArrive
7.38​
P1NTwait 43m
8.21​
P4AW
Newton-le-WillowsArrive
8.32​
P1AWwait 7m
Newton-le-WillowsDepart
8.39​
P2TP
1​
2​
8.58​
P4TPwait 19m
9.17​
P1NT
RobyArrive
9.27​
P4NTwait 12m
RobyDepart
9.39​
P3NT
St Helens JunctionArrive
9.54​
P1NTwait not a jot
St Helens JunctionDepart
9.55​
P2NT
1​
2​
Lea GreenArrive
9.58​
NTwait 53m
Lea GreenDepart
10.51​
NT
1​
2​
PatricroftArrive
11.11​
NTwait 26m
PatricroftDepart
11.37​
NT
1​
2​
Wavertree Technology ParkArrive
12.17​
P2NTwait 5m
Wavertree Technology ParkDepart
12.22​
P1NT
1​
2​
Broad GreenArrive
12.24​
P2NTwait 33m
Broad GreenDepart
13.01​
P1NT
1​
2​
13.14​
P2NTwait 6m
13.20​
P6NT
West AllertonArrive
13.32​
P1NTwait 10m
West AllertonDepart
13.42​
P2NT
1​
4​
Mossley HillArrive
13.44​
P2NTwait 20m
Mossley HillDepart
14.04​
P1NT
1​
4​
Manchester Oxford RoadArrive
15.02​
P5NTwait 14m
Manchester Oxford RoadDepart
15.16​
P5NT
UrmstonArrive
15.27​
NTwait 24m
UrmstonDepart
15.51​
NT
1​
2​
DeansgateArrive
16.01​
P1NTwait 48m
DeansgateDepart
16.49​
P2NT
1​
2​
BirchwoodArrive
17.11​
P2NTwait 28m
BirchwoodDepart
17.39​
P1NT
1​
2​
IrlamArrive
17.44​
P1NTwait 25m
IrlamDepart
18.09​
P2NT
1​
2​
Warrington WestArrive
18.27​
P2NTwait 3m
Warrington WestDepart
18.30​
P1NT
1​
2​
Warrington CentralArrive
18.34​
*****NTwalk to Bank Quay and home

All platforms

Day 3: Monday 31/08/2020 - Cheshire Day ranger £16.65 with senor railcard - Valid all day on BH. CP £2.80 at Warrington Central
Total time 755 mins - Time on trains 369 mins + time waiting 386 mins. Stations completed today 7. Total completed 31. Itinerary below

Another early start on the Ellesmere Port train. This time to Helsby. I really like this station albeit when i visited, there was a faded glory about the place. The gardens had clearly been extensive in railway terms but hadn't seen much TLC in quite some time. There a few items of old memorablia on P3 + 4 - a rusty but still recognisable porters trolley and something akin to a large toy train with Engine 2 wagons and a guards van off the edge of p4 but which can be better seen from the end of P3. Foliage was encroaching quite extensively on p4 too but not where trains would stop.

One thing i have noticed on my journeys are the number of stations which have no signage which indicates which platform is which. Admittedly you dont need these at single platforms and there has always been signage if there are 3 or more platforms - but for some reason standard 2 platform stations often have no signage at all. By the end of day 3 i will have seen 14 such examples. Eccles my second stop of the day is unusual in having a p2 sign but not a p1. I did see signs at the station entrance which identified both platforms. Oh well...

I will give the Chat Moss line another go as it was apparent there was something big on in Liverpool on the saturday, and so to and fro here most of the day with a brief diversion to tick off Hough Green on the other line. Again not one of my favourite days but i have broken the back of the 2 lines now including most of Liverpool Lime Street. It will be some time before i return to do the awkward Liverpool South Parkway P3 + 4 and finish Lime Street.

Where to next?

5.42​
*****NTstationsplatforms
HelsbyArrive
5.59​
P3NTwait 29mcompletedcompleted
HelsbyDepart
6.28​
P4NTat completed
EcclesArrive
7.08​
P1NTwait 26mstations
EcclesDepart
7.34​
P2NT
1​
2​
HuytonArrive
8.08​
P1NTwait 8m
HuytonDepart
8.16​
P2NT
RobyArrive
8.18​
P2NTwait 10m
RobyDepart
8.28​
P4NT
HuytonArrive
8.29​
P4NTwait 25m
HuytonDepart
8.54​
P2NT
9.10​
P1NTwait 17m,
9.27​
P3NT
HuytonArrive
9.41​
P3NTwait 29m
1​
4​
HuytonDepart
10.10​
P1NT
RobyArrive
10.11​
P1NTwait 28m
1​
4​
RobyDepart
10.39​
P3NT
EarlestownArrive
10.58​
P1NTwait 20m
EarlestownDepart
11.18​
P3NT
11.58​
P5NTwait 22m
12.20​
P10NT
Hough GreenArrive
12.46​
NTwait 16m
Hough GreenDepart
13.01​
NT
1​
2​
13.26​
P7NTwait 29m
13.55​
P7NT
Edge HillArrive
13.59​
P3NTwait 3m
Edge HillDepart
14.02​
P2NT
14.05​
P2NTwait 10m
14.15​
P2NT
Edge HillArrive
14.18​
P1NTwait 32m
Edge HillDepart
14.50​
P4NT
1​
4​
14.55​
P6NTwait 32m
15.27​
P4NT
RainhillArrive
15.47​
NTwait 14m
RainhillDepart
16.01​
NT
1​
2​
Broad GreenArrive
16.17​
P1NTwait 20m
Broad GreenDepart
16.37​
P2NT
WhistonArrive
16.45​
P2NTwait 18m
WhistonDepart
17.03​
P1NT
1​
2​
17.21​
P3NTwait 30m
17.51​
P6EM
Warrington CentralArrive
18.17​
*****EMto home

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
There are some very difficult ones and here are some from the South East..
Ashford International platforms 3 and 4 .. and Ebbsfleet International (Eurostar platforms) at present out of use since March 2020. But when reopened they are served by Eurostar services only.
Similar to above-- the fast line platforms between Wandsworth Common and Purley (inclusive except East Croydon) are used only by a few regular trains per day or during engineering works.

All platforms

Day 4: Saturday 05/09/2020 - Cheshire Day Ranger £16.65 with senior railcard - Valid all day at weekends. CP £2 at Warrington Bank Quay
Total time 796 mins - Time on trains 344 mins and time waiting 452 mins. Stations completed today 20. Total completed 51.

Typo last post - Total stations completed should be 31 not 21

This will be my biggest day so far - and for the rest of the year i think. Another early start on the Ellesmere Port train. This time to another little used station - Ince & Elton. Pitch black at Warrington but a little light upon arrival. This feels like one of the remotest places i have ever been at platform level yet there are houses over each embankment on maps. I stayed put for the 20 minutes or so wait. Not likely i will return here so making the most of it. A quick Helsby Chester Helsby Chester followed by knocking out Bank Quay and East Runcorn before spending the rest of the day on the Wirral side of the Merseyral network. Trains are frequent and stations generally quite close to each other so waits for more than 10 minutes were the exception. I did have another stair sprint at Hooton to ensure i saved 20 mins on my schedule as the train in was a few seconds late. Hooton is one of the more difficult stations to complete as you will see on day 20.

Merseyside does have its crop of awkward platforms but i think all are achievable with a bit of planning and patience. Liverpool James Street p2 is only used when the underground loop is closed and the terminus of both the 2 branch lines at the top end of the Wirral have alternate platforms which often do not conform with RTT predictions. Hello West Kirby P2 and New Brighton P1. Early evenings seem to be the best bet but haven't got around to these yet. I will need something closer to home to worry about later on. Birkenhead North P1 is another one that doesnt seem to be timetabled and haven't found any evidence yet that it does get used occasionally. If someone knows i would love to know. Rock Ferry P3 + 4 are the other 2 but will save that for day 10/11.

A very full day and finishing before my self appointed cut off time of 7pm - although that will have to go eventually. Thats enough for today..

5.42​
*****NTNotstationsplatforms
Ince & EltonArrive
6.03​
NTwait 22mtimetabledcompletedcompleted
Ince & EltonDepart
6.25​
NT
1​
2​
HelsbyArrive
6.29​
P4NTwait 13m
HelsbyDepart
6.42​
P1AW
ChesterArrive
6.56​
P3bAWwait 16m
ChesterDepart
7.12​
P4aAW
FrodshamArrive
7.25​
P2AWwait 12m
FrodshamDepart
7.37​
P1AW
1​
2​
HelsbyArrive
7.41​
P1AWwait 9m
HelsbyDepart
7.50​
P2AW
1​
4​
8.07​
P4AWwait 20m
8.27​
P2AW
Runcorn EastArrive
8.34​
P1AWwait 7m
Runcorn EastDepart
8.41​
P2NT
1​
2​
8.46​
P3NTwait 42m
9.28​
P1AW
1​
4​
HelsbyArrive
9.46​
P1AWwait 8m
HelsbyDepart
9.54​
P1AW
ChesterArrive
10.11​
P6AWwait 17m,
ChesterDepart
10.28​
P7bME
CapenhurstArrive
10.36​
MEwait 13m
CapenhurstDepart
10.49​
ME
1​
2​
BacheArrive
10.54​
MEwait 7m
BacheDepart
11.01​
ME
1​
2​
Eastham RakeArrive
11.14​
MEwait 11m
Eastham RakeDepart
11.25​
ME
1​
2​
Little SuttonArrive
11.31​
MEwait 21m
Little SuttonDepart
11.52​
ME
1​
2​
HootonArrive
11.56​
P3MEwait not a jot
HootonDepart
11.57​
P2ME
OverpoolArrive
12.04​
MEwait 16m
OverpoolDepart
12.20​
ME
1​
2​
Birkenhead Hamilton SquareArrive
12.50​
P1MEwait 7m
Birkenhead Hamilton SquareDepart
12.57​
P3ME
Birkenhead ParkArrive
13.01​
P2MEwait 5m
Birkenhead ParkDepart
13.06​
P1ME
1​
2​
Conway ParkArrive
13.07​
P1MEwait 19m
Conway ParkDepart
13.26​
P2ME
1​
2​
Wallasey Grove RoadArrive
13.37​
MEwait 20m
Wallasey Grove RoadDepart
13.57​
ME
1​
2​
Wallasey VillageArrive
13.59​
MEwait 9m
Wallasey VillageDepart
14.08​
ME
1​
2​
New BrightonArrive
14.14​
P2MEwait 9m
New BrightonDepart
14.23​
P2ME
Birkenhead NorthArrive
14.33​
P2ME
Birkenhead NorthDepart
14.51​
P3ME
Moreton (Merseyside)Arrive
14.59​
MEwait 12m
Moreton (Merseyside)Depart
15.11​
ME
1​
2​
LeasoweArrive
15.13​
MEwait 9m
LeasoweDepart
15.22​
ME
1​
2​
MeolsArrive
15.28​
MEwait 10m
MeolsDepart
15.38​
ME
1​
2​
BidstonArrive
15.46​
P1MEwait 4m
BidstonDepart
15.50​
P2ME
1​
2​
West KirbyArrive
16.06​
P1MEwait 24m
West KirbyDepart
16.30​
P1ME
Liverpool James StreetArrive
16.59​
P1MEwait 3m
Liverpool James StreetDepart
17.02​
P3MEP2
1​
2​
Birkenhead Hamilton SquareArrive
17.06​
P2MEwait 15m
Birkenhead Hamilton SquareDepart
17.21​
P1ME
1​
3​
MoorfieldsArrive
17.26​
P3LLMEwait 6m
MoorfieldsDepart
17.32​
P3LLME
17.34​
LLMEwait 9m
17.43​
LLME
Liverpool CentralArrive
17.45​
P3LLMEwait 13m
Liverpool CentralDepart
17.58​
P1ME
Hunts CrossArrive
18.13​
P3MEwait 25m
Hunts CrossDepart
18.38​
P2NT
Warrington CentralArrive
18.58​
*****NTwalk to Bank Quay and home

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
Further to my earliest post on the South East..

Waterloo has 24 platforms
Victoria has 19 platforms
Battersea Park platform 2 is served by a one or two early morning or late evening parlimentary trains whilst platform 5 is (as far as I know) not regularly used but maybe used during engineering works.
Clapham Junction has 17 platforms

Good luck with being on a train that visit all those platforms.........!!!!!!!

All platforms

Like you said the hardest platforms will be those 4 platform stations which have platforms on the 'fast' lines which are only used during engineering works which close the 'slow' lines. (Ie Great Western to Didcot, Midland Main Line, WCML etc

Or even on the ECML when some only have booked use by a peak time special (Biggleswade/St Neots spring to mind).

Plus those bay platforms which only see a couple trains a day, although the likes of Hereford & Huntingdon can be removed as those bays are no longer in use.

I wish you the best of luck
Thanks. I think i might leave the engineering only fast lines till towards the end but if there are some that are normally timetabled albeit very sparsely i will probably try and do these when i am in the area. I generally pick the hardest platforms to do and try and work an itinerary around that. So far it seems to be working. I was actually leaving Bletchley for the day in the summer when they were opening the gates to the fast platforms for the evening. Yup - engineering works that night, but i was already committed and hadn't as much knowledge of these things as i do now. Could have got the Wolverton fasts too. Oh well..

All platforms

There are some very difficult ones and here are some from the South East..
Ashford International platforms 3 and 4 .. and Ebbsfleet International (Eurostar platforms) at present out of use since March 2020. But when reopened they are served by Eurostar services only.
Similar to above-- the fast line platforms between Wandsworth Common and Purley (inclusive except East Croydon) are used only by a few regular trains per day or during engineering works.
Thanks. I had spotted the Eurostar only platforms but as you say not currently used. Guess i will be making a trip or two to France in due course though i will be leaving these true pains in the backside to near the end of the adventure - probably... At this stage i am not planning to visit London this year or next but i will certainly bear your comments in mind when i do. It might take the best part of a year just to do zones 1 to 9 after doing some prelim.

All platforms

Further to my earliest post on the South East..

Waterloo has 24 platforms
Victoria has 19 platforms
Battersea Park platform 2 is served by a one or two early morning or late evening parlimentary trains whilst platform 5 is (as far as I know) not regularly used but maybe used during engineering works.
Clapham Junction has 17 platforms

Good luck with being on a train that visit all those platforms.........!!!!!!!
It will take more than a day just to do each of the London terminii not forgetting Clapham Junction and Stratford. Factor in the PSUL element and its a tin of spaghetti right there.
Birmingham New Street has 12 platforms and 3 variants of each one (and 4 if you include the "m" platform mentioned in RTT). I opened a can of worms asking about those for sure. Anyway i have now done the vast majority of these variants and the West Midlands as a whole but it hasn't been easy. I love a challenge....

The exile

Established Member
3. First and last stations of the day cannot be used to tick off a new platform - use the train! - the only exception is if the ONLY occasion it is timetabled is the first or last train. (P4 Rock Ferry springs to mind)
Being Devil's Advocate here - and possibly dreaming up a scenario that doesn't exist - but you would presumably extend that "first or last train" rule to cover any train that departed before the first / arrived after the last opportunity to make the journey in the other direction by train?

All platforms

I think i know what you mean and i know there are examples out there of this. I haven't yet encountered a situation like that however. Perhaps it should read

3. First and last stations of the day cannot be used to tick off a new platform - use the train! - the exception is if the ONLY occasion it is timetabled means you cannot honour the rule. so.. if the platform is timetabled before the first arriving or after the last departing train then this is permitted

AM9

Veteran Member
Thanks. I had spotted the Eurostar only platforms but as you say not currently used. Guess i will be making a trip or two to France in due course though i will be leaving these true pains in the backside to near the end of the adventure - probably... At this stage i am not planning to visit London this year or next but i will certainly bear your comments in mind when i do. It might take the best part of a year just to do zones 1 to 9 after doing some prelim.
One that might be impossible: the Eurostar platforms at Stratford International. They were used to great effect during the 2012 Olympics with staging to raise the height for class 395s to stop, but I don't believe anything has stopped there since even though they are still technically available.

The exile

Established Member
I know quite a few members here will have already travelled on all these lines or intend to as a long term project of their own but i would be interested to know how long this took.
I was 25 when I first "completed" the passenger network (which is not quite the same thing as taking me 25 years to do it - I had only actively started to try for completeness about 7 years before, but had a large-ish pool of lines already "in the bag" from family travels as a child. It was also helped by a move from one end of the country to the other midway through). The "last [less than a] mile" was the then rush hour only curve at Feltham - which became the "normal" one at the next timetable change. Doh!!!! A move abroad (13 years brought me to within 10% completion of the German network) gave Railtrack etc time to reopen a few bits and pieces - I really must get round to those at some point!

All platforms

Day 5: Monday 09/09/2020 Cheshire Day Ranger £16.65 with railcard - Valid after 9am Weekdays. CP £2.80 Warrington Central
Total Time 404 mins - Time on trains 191 mins and time waiting 213 mins. Stations completed today 6. Total stations completed 57.

Todays trip was based on the news that Northern were withdrawing trains to Rose Hill Marple for 3 months due to covid related challenges. Anyway it was an excuse to do a more leisurely day in the sun. I also noticed that the special timetables in force at that time meant that trains were going opposite to the normal way on the Dinting Glossop Hadfield triangle. So first stop after Warrington was Manchester Piccadilly and as it was quiet took the opportunity to have a chat with a couple of dispatchers about the p13b + p14b variants. Tfw use p13b to terminate/start when not running through to the airport apparently but all the information screens (and RTT) just show P13. So this is a rare case of timetabled but not really advertised as to which platform variant. P14b however is rarely used except for occasional late running trains being stopped short. They were set up as a and b originally to allow 2 trains to set down/pick up passengers at roughly the same time but it was deemed unsafe because of the ensuing overcrowding. I know from experience how busy it can get. Anyhow off to Dinting P1 after noting i can do p13b at some stage. If i knew then just how rare a Glossop to Dinting P1 move is i would have gone to Glossop that day too but it was a fairly tight itinerary if i was to get back to Warrington for 4pm. Grrr. There are a couple of trains that go to Glossop that way in the normal timetable but the return is always via Hadfield so i missed out on that one...

Back to Guide Bridge and then to tick off the stations to/from Rose Hill culminating in what i think was my last journey in a pacer. I didnt take a note of the numbers unfortunately but it was a 2 car pacer attached to a basic sprinter. A very quick turnaround at Rose Hill due to lateness otherwise i would have taken a few more pics and off to the front to catch my last pacer ride. I am not yet nostalgic about these ancient cattle trucks but at least it was one of the more nicely refurbed ones that Northern did. A quick spin to Stockport and then back home to Warrington.

Warrington CentralDepart
9.20​
*****EMstationsplatforms
Manchester PiccadillyArrive
9.43​
P13EMwait 19mcompletedcompleted
Manchester PiccadillyDepart
10.02​
P2NTat completed
DintingArrive
10.29​
P1NTwait 26mstations
DintingDepart
10.55​
P1NT
Guide BridgeArrive
11.12​
P1NTwait 45m
Guide BridgeDepart
11.57​
P2NT
1​
2​
Hyde CentralArrive
12.03​
P1NTwait 30m
Hyde CentralDepart
12.33​
P2NT
1​
2​
Hyde NorthArrive
12.35​
NTwait 25m
Hyde NorthDepart
13.00​
NT
1​
2​
WoodleyArrive
13.06​
P2NTwait 19m
WoodleyDepart
13.27​
P1NT
1​
2​
FairfieldArrive
13.39​
NTwait 24m
FairfieldDepart
14.03​
NT
1​
2​
Rose Hill MarpleArrive
14.26​
SingleNTwait 2m
Rose Hill MarpleDepart
14.28​
SingleNT
1​
1​
Manchester PiccadillyArrive
15.01​
P3NTwait 7m
Manchester PiccadillyDepart
15.08​
P11NT
StockportArrive
15.17​
P1NTwait 16m
StockportDepart
15.33​
P3EM
Warrington CentralArrive
16.04​
*****EMto home

Last edited:

All platforms

One that might be impossible: the Eurostar platforms at Stratford International. They were used to great effect during the 2012 Olympics with staging to raise the height for class 395s to stop, but I don't believe anything has stopped there since even though they are still technically available.
There are quite a few platforms that exist and technically available to use round the network but for various reasons are never timetabled. The difficult ones are those that drift in and out of timetables and i dont have the depth of knowledge as to historic use and the likelihood of what may be dropped or added. I did commute through Bolton many years ago and Platform 2 there had a sparse but regular usage and the inference was it would continue. This was before the new Northern 3 car sets came on stream a few years ago and i guess are too long too fit on this stub platform. However i did notice that RTT show 2 very late terminators at p2 14 to 17 Feb and a 6.26 to Stalybridge the bext mornings so maybe it can take them. Engineering works are a completists friend of course but hellish anti social lol.

As to the Eurostar platforms i can only do what is being used of course and who knows what might happen in the next few years. Just gotta keep my eyes open.

The exile

Established Member
There are quite a few platforms that exist and technically available to use round the network but for various reasons are never timetabled. The difficult ones are those that drift in and out of timetables and i dont have the depth of knowledge as to historic use and the likelihood of what may be dropped or added. I did commute through Bolton many years ago and Platform 2 there had a sparse but regular usage and the inference was it would continue. This was before the new Northern 3 car sets came on stream a few years ago and i guess are too long too fit on this stub platform. However i did notice that RTT show 2 very late terminators at p2 14 to 17 Feb and a 6.26 to Stalybridge the bext mornings so maybe it can take them. Engineering works are a completists friend of course but hellish anti social lol.

As to the Eurostar platforms i can only do what is being used of course and who knows what might happen in the next few years. Just gotta keep my eyes open.
I don’t envy you all the little used stations on double track main lines which are miles from their neighbours ( thinking Norwich - Ely for example). Guess you’re also learning to dread “Attention please, this is a platform alteration’!

All platforms

I was 25 when I first "completed" the passenger network (which is not quite the same thing as taking me 25 years to do it - I had only actively started to try for completeness about 7 years before, but had a large-ish pool of lines already "in the bag" from family travels as a child. It was also helped by a move from one end of the country to the other midway through). The "last [less than a] mile" was the then rush hour only curve at Feltham - which became the "normal" one at the next timetable change. Doh!!!! A move abroad (13 years brought me to within 10% completion of the German network) gave Railtrack etc time to reopen a few bits and pieces - I really must get round to those at some point!
I did wonder about including stations lines and platforms i will have used over the years but as i have no definitive record of exactly what i did i have decided to do it with a clean slate. There are a few that dont exist any more of course given my age. I do remember a visit to Lakeside before they shut the line in the mid 1960's and which then partly reopened as the Haverthwaite and Lakeside railway. It may have been a special as i remember my father making a big deal of it at the time.

Some of the unusual lines seem to go in and out of favour from time to time so i think its the right approach to do what you can when you can - even if that rare bit of track then becomes a regular thing. The opposite can happen of course so...... One of my pipe dreams may be to do the same thing in France but the same amount of detailed information isn't there currently and i have enough on my hands for now so that is well and truly parked in the long grass. It must be slightly galling to get within 10% of completing Germany but there is always tomorrow.......

All platforms

I don’t envy you all the little used stations on double track main lines which are miles from their neighbours ( thinking Norwich - Ely for example). Guess you’re also learning to dread “Attention please, this is a platform alteration’!
You have certainly picked the most awkward line. 5 stations with different challenges and in close proximity to Berney Arms and Buckenham. I did scope this out early on to see what was doable and whilst i havent checked this to the current timetable this is one for the summer for sure. Berney Arms and Buckenham you can do with waits of 21mins and 70mins on a Sunday. Lakenheath is not difficult but only on a Sunday. SHippea Hill requires a 100 min walk to/from Littleport but only works on a Saturday. Spooner Row requires a walk in/out of Wymondham of approx 70 mins but weekdays only. Sheesh... Harling Road and Eccles Road both have 2 Eastbound services early morning and 2 Westbound services late afternoon so you get the early to Harling Road then the second to Eccles Road and then a 90 mins walk to Attleborough. Reverse this in the afternoon.

Platform alterations come with the territory. There are/were too many when i was doing Birmingham New Street and some permutatations are very rare so i do have a couple left there to do. Otherwise they have been nothing i haven't been able to work around - so far. Oh... Bromsgrove P1 has been elusive due to alterations. Perhaps when i attempt to finish New Street when i have decided properly how to deal with"M" platforms

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 6: Wednesday 30/09/2020 - Cumbria Coast Day Ranger £14.50 with senior railcard - Valid all day. CP £3 at Whitehaven
Total time 705 mins - Time on trains 442 mins and time waiting 263 mins. Stations completed today 12. Total completed 69.

Time for a change of scenery and something i have wanted to do for a long time - The Cumbrian Coast route, though i was a few years late to be pulled by a Class 37 which could be seen from time to time back then. A long haul up to Whitehaven as this gave the best opportunity for early ticks given the irregular timetables in these parts. First stop Harrington (of hump fame) and then back to Whitehaven before bouncing around all over the place. The single line working right on the edge of the coast between Sellafield and St Bees was spectacular and my itinerary took me over all or part of this 3 times. Nethertown has to be experienced. Just a halt really with only a few services and right on the edge of the coast with what looked a village of (almost) temporary shacks/houses just a few few feet above high tide right below. Today was the first time i missed a connection due to a delayed and slow running train north. I had to abandon my plan for Maryport and improvise the rest of the day.

Previously I had thoroughly enjoyed having a mooch at a very closed Ravenglass railway which is adjacent to the main line and had one of the best cheese pasties i can remember at the cafe there. I was the only customer. I also remember that the wait at Dalston seemed far too long for my taste. In fact it was only 32 mins and a fraction of what i have endured err enjoyed since then.

A most enjoyable day and with 12 stations ticked off i call that a result.

WhitehavenDepart
6.30​
*****NTstationsplatforms
HarringtonArrive
6.42​
NTwait 6mcompletedcompleted
HarringtonDepart
6.48​
NT
1​
2​
WhitehavenArrive
7.02​
P2NTwait 24m
WhitehavenDepart
7.26​
P2NT
FlimbyArrive
8.01​
NTwait 1m
FlimbyDepart
8.02​
NT
1​
2​
WorkingtonArrive
8.07​
P1NTwait 31m
WorkingtonDepart
8.38​
P2NT
1​
2​
WigtonArrive
9.06​
NTwait 14m
WigtonDepart
9.20​
NT
1​
2​
Ravenglass for EskdaleArrive
10.41​
NTwait 26m
Ravenglass for EskdaleDepart
11.07​
NT
1​
2​
NethertownArrive
11.28​
SingleNTwait 13m
NethertownDepart
11.41​
SingleNT
1​
1​
SeascaleArrive
11.51​
NTwait 19m
SeascaleDepart
12.10​
NT
1​
2​
AspatriaArrive
13.11​
NTwait 24m
AspatriaDepart
13.35​
NT
1​
2​
CorkickleArrive
14.19​
SingleNTwait 14m
CorkickleDepart
14.33​
SingleNT
1​
1​
Dalston (Cumbria)Arrive
15.35​
NTwait 32m
Dalston (Cumbria)Depart
16.07​
NT
1​
2​
WhitehavenArrive
17.08​
P1NTwait 41m
WhitehavenDepart
17.49​
P1NT
1​
2​
PartonArrive
17.52​
NTwait 18m
PartonDepart
18.10​
NT
1​
2​
WhitehavenArrive
18.15​
*****NTto home

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 7: Wednesday 14/10/2020 - Cumbria Coast day Ranger £14.50 with senior railcard - Valid all day. CP free at Green Road
Total time 630 mins - Time on trains 300 mins and time waiting 330 mins. Stations completed today 11. Total completed 80.

Day 2 on the Cumbrian Coast line and an early start at Green Road in the pitch black. 2 commuters pitched up on bicycles even though we were in the middle of nowhere and off we went to Barrow. Foxfield and Askam were next and supplies were purchased at Askam Co-op after looking at all the information boards the local community has put up at the station about the history of the surrounding area. Very interesting and one of the more enjoyable places to be for 30 mins.

Another class 156 takes me to St Bees which had some very old white paint on metal station and platform signs and generally a station of interest. I did see a signalman from the Signal Box on P2 going North (where i was waiting) had crossed the bridge and was waiting for the incoming train bearing a green flag in full view and for the benefit of the incoming train. The sightline to the platform was poor because of the curve so was this the reason?. I have no idea why a green flag was shown and what do they do at night when flags would be near invisible. I did see what looked like a token being taken by the driver once in the platform but the single line doesn't start till Sellafield which has its own token system from its own signal box. I am probably missing something obvious. Perhaps something to do with the junction with the LLW repository line just beyond Drigg station?

Its a bit sparse at Drigg but the signalman doubles up as the manual crossing person too. Its also very close to the perimeter of one of Sellafields outposts and i did notice a dosimeter made in Germany hung on one of the perimeter posts. Another 4 trips along the beautiful coast culminating with a stop at Braystones the other halt like station in the middle of all this. The return was late in so another change of plans which inluded over an hour at Barrow. However the late running Barrow train did give me a chance to wander down to the beach area at Braystones and take some atmospheric pics. Another Signalman doubling up as manual crossing keeper at Bootle before this though. There cant be many left on the network..

The three remaining stations on the the southern end of the line round out the day and a slightly earlier finish at 16.45. Maryport will have to wait for a Carlisle day in 2021. I have enjoyed this line more than any other so far and in retrospect it has been hard to topple it from the top spot since then too. Highly recommended.

Green RoadDepart
6.15​
*****NTstationsplatforms
Barrow-in-FurnessArrive
6.42​
P3NTwait 9mcompletedcompleted
Barrow-in-FurnessDepart
6.51​
P3NTat completed
FoxfieldArrive
7.10​
NTwait 8mstations
FoxfieldDepart
7.18​
NT
1​
2​
AskamArrive
7.27​
NTwait 33m
AskamDepart
8.00​
NT
1​
2​
St BeesArrive
9.01​
P1NTwait 29m
St BeesDepart
9.30​
P2NT
1​
2​
DriggArrive
9.45​
NTwait 30m
DriggDepart
10.15​
NT
1​
2​
SellafieldArrive
10.25​
P2NTwait 9m
SellafieldDepart
10.34​
P1NT
1​
2​
BootleArrive
10.50​
NTwait 11m
BootleDepart
11.01​
NT
1​
2​
BraystonesArrive
11.27​
SingleNTwait 45m
BraystonesDepart
12.12​
SingleNT
1​
1​
Barrow-in-FurnessArrive
13.09​
P2NTwait 68m
Barrow-in-FurnessDepart
14.17​
P1NT
1​
3​
Green RoadArrive
14.39​
NTwait 36m
Green RoadDepart
15.15​
NT
1​
2​
Kirkby-in-FurnessArrive
15.23​
NTwait 35m
Kirkby-in-FurnessDepart
15.58​
NT
1​
2​
SilecroftArrive
16.16​
NTwait 19m
SilecroftDepart
16.35​
NT
1​
2​
Green RoadArrive
16.45​
*****NTto home

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 8: Thursday 22/10/2020 - Hadrians Wall Country Line Day Ranger £15.20 with senior railcard - Valid anytime. CP free at Wetheral
Total time 591 mins Time on trains 308 mins and time waiting 283 mins. Stations completed today 12. Total stations completed 92.

This was intended to be my last big trip of the year and then perhaps do some local infill stations over the winter but lockdown 2 was upon us before the New Year so that just never happened.

Probably my earliest alarm call so far to get to Wetheral for the first train of the day east to Haydon Bridge at 6.04. Bardon Mill was next which had a very long walk between platforms down the side of the rails and across a user worked crossing with gates diagonally placed. I think there might have been another crossing nearer the other side of the station but i didn't take any pics and my memory probably has more important ephemera that it wishes to retain . Offset platforms next at Wylam and then a series of back and to and finally getting all the way to Dunston near Newcastle and which was the only station on the line not to have platform signage. Apart from the p1 sign at Blaydon which was AWOL that is.

I found this to be a very pretty and dare i say quaint line. Most stations had an information board with local tidbits to entertain me for a few moments and had an olde worlde feel. Another thoroughly enjoyable day out. No waits over 32 mins today which must be some sort of record. Just 2 stations left at the end of the day, the 2 nearest to Carlisle so should be relatively easy to tick off in 2021. And that was supposed to be the year end finale but something tempted me out in the middle of December....

WetheralDepart
6.04​
*****NTstationsplatforms
Haydon BridgeArrive
6.41​
P1NTwait 29mcompletedcompleted
Haydon BridgeDepart
7.10​
P2NT
1​
2​
Bardon MillArrive
7.15​
P2NTwait 25m
Bardon MillDepart
7.36​
P1NT
1​
2​
WylamArrive
8.15​
P1NTwait 29m
WylamDepart
8.44​
P2NT
1​
2​
Riding MillArrive
8.57​
P2NTwait 9m
Riding MillDepart
9.06​
P1NT
1​
2​
StocksfieldArrive
9.10​
P1NTwait 16m
StocksfieldDepart
9.26​
P2NT
1​
2​
CorbridgeArrive
9.34​
P2NTwait 26m
CorbridgeDepart
10.00​
P1NT
1​
2​
DunstonArrive
10.32​
NTwait 32m
DunstonDepart
11.04​
NT
1​
2​
BlaydonArrive
11.11​
P2NTwait 13m
BlaydonDepart
11.24​
P1NT
1​
2​
Metro CentreArrive
11.27​
P1NTwait 34m
Metro CentreDepart
12.01​
P2NT
1​
2​
HexhamArrive
12.32​
P2NTwait 8m
HexhamDepart
12.40​
P1NT
1​
2​
PrudhoeArrive
12.52​
P1NTwait 32m
PrudhoeDepart
13.24​
P2NT
1​
2​
HexhamArrive
13.42​
P2NTwait 12m
HexhamDepart
13.54​
P2NT
CarlisleArrive
14.43​
P5NTwait 11m
CarlisleDepart
14.54​
P5NT
HaltwhistleArrive
15.22​
P1NTwait 7m
HaltwhistleDepart
15.29​
P2NT
1​
2​
WetheralArrive
15.55​
*****NTto home

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 9: Saturday 12/12/2020 - West Midlands Day Ranger £18.50 with senior railcard - Valid all day at weekends. CP free at Langley Green
Total time 642 mins - Time on trains 213 mins and waiting 429 mins. Stations completed today 18. Total completed 110.

One of the outcomes of the reduced timetables in 2020 is that you saw some unexpected gems and here is one for Bordesley. A call in each direction on a saturday afternoon. I may be wrong but normally only 1 a week unless Birmingham City were at home and so was too good an opportunity to miss. It would involve some walking in the cold but that is what i signed up for. After spending what seemed an age trying to craft an itinerary that took in as many stations as i could around the Bordesley calls i knew it was workable.

Down the M6 early doors for a 6.24 start from Langley Green. With luck i could make 9 different journeys within the first 2 hours half of which would be in darkness. All i remember of the morning was that it was very cold outside but the trains were quite cosy. The quite cute class 139 on the Stourbridge shuttle was unexpectedly different. After working my down in stages to Kidderminster it was a ride over to Jewellry Quarter before infilling the stations to the west.

Then it was off to Olton to pick up the train going north calling at Bordesley. Probably the ugliest facilityless station i have visited. The only concession to being human is a fairly large waiting room but there are no seats and the wind finds its way in effortlessly. What am i doing here? Its the best part of a 2 and a half hour wait for the return trip which was beyond my originally imposed 2 wait limit so after a quick consult on RTT i walked to Small Heath for a trip to Tyseley and back before boarding the 16.12 to bag the remaining platforms at Tyseley. It was getting dark and cold so was glad to get back to my car just after 5pm with a good haul under my belt. The trains were still pretty quiet back then with no issues with social distancing and the like. That was definitely my last outing of the year. I was going to come back with a bang in 2021 as soon as we were allowed and i would go fairly hard until the clocks went back at the end of October. Competing for my time however was normal holidays so there will be gaps because of this. See you in 2021.

Langley GreenDepart
6.24​
*****WMstationsplatforms
Rowley RegisArrive
6.27​
P2WMwait 8mcompletedcompleted
Rowley RegisDepart
6.35​
P1WM
1​
2​
Smethwick Galton BridgeArrive
6.41​
P2WMwait 6m
Smethwick Galton BridgeDepart
6.47​
P3WM
Sandwell & DudleyArrive
6.50​
P2WMwait 14m
Sandwell & DudleyDepart
7.04​
P1WM
1​
2​
Smethwick Galton BridgeArrive
7.07​
P4WMwait 9m
Smethwick Galton BridgeDepart
7.16​
P1WM
1​
4​
Cradley HeathArrive
7.29​
P2WMwait 13m
Cradley HeathDepart
7.42​
P1WM
1​
2​
Old HillArrive
7.45​
P1WMwait 4m
Old HillDepart
7.49​
P2WM
1​
2​
Stourbridge JunctionArrive
8.02​
P2WMwait 2m
Stourbridge JunctionDepart
8.04​
P1WM
Stourbridge TownArrive
8.07​
SingleWMwait 12m
Stourbridge TownDepart
8.19​
SingleWM
1​
1​
Stourbridge JunctionArrive
8.22​
P1WMwait 37m
Stourbridge JunctionDepart
8.59​
P3WM
1​
3​
BlakedownArrive
9.06​
P1WMwait 25m
BlakedownDepart
9.31​
P2WM
1​
2​
HagleyArrive
9.34​
P2WMwait 29m
HagleyDepart
10.03​
P1WM
1​
2​
KidderminsterArrive
10.10​
P2WMwait 15m
KidderminsterDepart
10.25​
P1WM
1​
2​
Jewellery QuarterArrive
10.59​
P2WMwait 27m
Jewellery QuarterDepart
11.26​
P1WM
1​
2​
LyeArrive
11.48​
P2WMwait 13m
LyeDepart
12.01​
P1WM
1​
2​
The HawthornsArrive
12.18​
P2WMwait 13m
The HawthornsDepart
12.31​
P1WM
1​
2​
Langley GreenArrive
12.36​
P1WMwait 8m
Langley GreenDepart
12.44​
P2WM
1​
2​
OltonArrive
13.08​
P2WMwait 29m
OltonDepart
13.37​
P1WM
1​
2​
BordesleyArrive
13.47​
P2WMwalk + wait
walk ton/a
0.00​
n/an/a58 mins
Small HeathDepart
14.45​
P4WM
TyseleyArrive
14.48​
P1WMwait 27m
TyseleyDepart
15.15​
P4WM
Small HeathArrive
15.17​
P3WMwalk + wait
1​
2​
Walk ton/a
0.00​
n/an/a55 mins
BordesleyDepart
16.12​
P1WM
1​
2​
TyseleyArrive
16.17​
P3WMwait 25m
TyseleyDepart
16.42​
P2WM
1​
4​
Langley GreenArrive
17.06​
*****WMto home

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 10: Thursday 08/04/2021 - 2xreturn tickets Green Lane to Rock Ferry 1xreturn ticket Green Lane to Birkenhead Central. £4.50 total. CP free Green lane.
Total time 75 mins - time on trains 13 mins and time waiting 62 mins. Stations completed today 2. Total completed 112.

Not everything went to plan - but it was a good plan. P4 Rock Ferry is just not normally possible using my ridiculous starting station criteria but here was an opportunity before the timetable changed ithe next day. The normal timetable was reduced at that time with the usual very early starters at Rock Ferry starting later. This gave an opportunity to travel by train to Rock Ferry before the stabled units departed. I had been watching this on RTT on and and off and all seemed to be well but of course when i attempted it there were platform alterations. In theory i could travel to Rock Ferry, get the p4 starter to Green lane or Birkenhead Central and get back to Rock ferry for the P3 starter.

However the starter was P3 not P4. Merde. I would have to get there at some stage to bag P3 c. 6.00am so i took it on the chin and resolved to come back the next day.

Green LaneDepart
5.50​
*****MEstationsplatforms
Rock FerryArrive
5.52​
P1MEwait 28mcompletedcompleted
Rock FerryDepart
6.20​
P3MEat completed
Green LaneArrive
6.22​
P1MEwait 3mstations
Green LaneDepart
6.25​
P2ME
1​
2​
Rock FerryArrive
6.27​
P1MEwait 17m
Rock FerryDepart
6.44​
P2ME
Birkenhead CentralArrive
6.49​
P1MEwait 14m
Birkenhead CentralDepart
7.03​
P2ME
1​
2​
Green LaneArrive
7.05​
*****MEto home

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So far I'm really enjoying the read of how you've got on with this incredible challenge! A braver soul than me, I can tell you that much, but it's clearly had the benefit of getting you to some beautiful lines such as the Cumbrian Coast. If you haven't already done so, you will love the Cambrian Coast and the Heart of Wales. The West Highland Line, oh yes you'll certainly have some nice journeys ahead if they've not yet been done!

All platforms

Day 11: Friday 09/04/2021 - 1xreturn Rock Ferry to Liverpool Central £2.85 CP Freea t Rock Ferry
Total time 28 mins - time on trains 28 mins and no waiting. Stations completed today 1. Total completed 114.

Just a bite the bullet day to ride from P4 even if it was the first train of the day. I was the only person on that train i think - certainly i had a carriage to myself. There may be another opportunity down the line to do it differently but i will take it as a complete station with a caveat meantime. The stuttering start to 2021 will continue......

Futz.... just realised the 6.08 this week have all been p4 alterations so far. Bah ... its too cold - there will be other opportunities

Rock FerryDepart
5.44​
P4ME
Rock FerryArrive
6.12​
1​
4​

Last edited:

All platforms

So far I'm really enjoying the read of how you've got on with this incredible challenge! A braver soul than me, I can tell you that much, but it's clearly had the benefit of getting you to some beautiful lines such as the Cumbrian Coast. If you haven't already done so, you will love the Cambrian Coast and the Heart of Wales. The West Highland Line, oh yes you'll certainly have some nice journeys ahead if they've not yet been done!
Thanks very much. I did the top half of the Heart of Wales line over 3 days in the autumn (with a brief foray to Llanbister Road early day 4) with Llanwrtyd as the furthest point. I have done a few south of here too but its really messy here with the timings - so few trains and pretty epic waits. Quite a remarkable line actually. You will have to wait for day 62 for more details haha.
I am planning to do the rest of Wales this year but will wait for longer days and warmer weather. I think the North Wales line needs to be done early doors when i do start however. I have no wish to be in the middle of a rugby scrum come holiday season.

I am very much looking forward to the Cumbrian Coast line - a forest of request stops too but not quite matching the Heart of Wales line in this regard. I have done the West Highland line before in another life but the top half of Scotland is soooo far away. That might be one for next year.

Cornwall might be another highlight but not sure how i feel about zones 1 to 9 yet!!

Gricer99

It’s a noble challenge. How are you going to manage stations like Clifton? One train a day in each direction!