• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do people afford a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
But then it may well cost you more to keep it going. (Or you'll be lucky and it not! :) )

Within reason I would buy as new as possible. There really are no totally rubbish cars these days.

There were few totally rubbish cars in the last twenty years or so.

Anything under five years and, unless you’re incredibly unlucky, you’ll generally spend more on depreciation than the running costs of something older but well maintained. Admittedly the market has slightly bucked that trend recently, due to the shortage of new stock, but that’s unlikely to continue.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is it genuinely rubbish, though, i.e. unreliable or drives horribly badly? That it isn't to your taste is perhaps a different issue, I don't like the tacky, plasticky look of many of the new generation of EV but it doesn't mean they are bad cars.

yes. Rubbish. Hired a few (not through choice) and the hire company staff have been suitably apologetic. Accelerates like a glacier, turning circle of a supertanker. Decidedly uncomfortable.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As most people have had a chance to offer their opinions on the affordability of running a car and we now seem to be drifting off topic we will bring this one to a close.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.