• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long does it take to change from train to bus at Milton Keynes Central?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I am looking at getting a LNW service from Crewe to Milton Keynes Central which arrives at xx:14 (platform 7). I am then getting Stagecoach X5 to Oxford which leaves at xx:20 from MKC Rail Station Stop Z4 at xx:20. Is 6 minutes enough time to make this connection or am I cutting it fine?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's possible if everything is on time (the buses are straight outside) but if it's even slightly late you'll likely have an issue.

If it's an 8-car you want to be somewhere near the middle to minimise the walk.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks :) I'll get into the middle of the 8 car - where the 2 units meet - from Crewe (and maybe the second or third coach if its a 4) so I can get straight up the stairs, through the barriers and out the station. Hopefully Z4 is easy to find.

I notice the X5 is usually a bit early into MKC and waits a few minutes so it will likely leave bang on time. If the train is a couple of minutes late or more though I'll just take it easy and head for the next X5 at xx:20

Hopefully I'll get a decent driver who won't tell me my ENCTS pass isn't invalid because its rejected on the ticket machine. Last time this happened thankfully there was a Stagecoach Manager on board who interjected saying any passes issued North of Northampton will not be read a manual concession ticket needs to be issued. Mine is issued in Merseyside.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My Mum's ENCTS (Lancashire issued) has been used on the X5 successfully if that's any help?

I can't find a map of the layout, but basically walk out of the main entrance, across the first zebra crossing to the second "platform", then it's the stop on the right (towards Oxford) or left (towards Cambridge)...or at least I think they're that way round. If the coach is there you will be able to see it as you walk out.

gray1404

Established Member
That's very strange. My Merseyside ENCTS has never been accepted by the ticket machine on the X5, the driver has had to issue a Manuel "free ENCTS" ticket. Of course depending on the driver it can result in a positive or negative reply. (Worst being my ticket isn't valid as it's not accepted by the machine.)

Which Statecoach operator/depot runs the X5? Is it the Bedford Depot of Stagecoach East?

Thanks so much for the advice regarding the way to walk - saves wasting any vital minutes!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, it's Bedford. Correction to the above, it no longer runs past Bedford towards Cambridge, you have to change. So Bedford on the left and Oxford on the right :)

Status
Not open for further replies.