• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many applications and interviews until you cracked it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDCW

6 years and 25 applications later and I still can't crack the railway. I'm not sure whether to put my efforts into something else now or to continue.

How many applications did you make it until you got that offer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kevlar

I made about 30 applications in total, got 3 interviews and 3 offers. The first successful application I did my psychometrics with.

MDCW

I made about 30 applications in total, got 3 interviews and 3 offers. The first successful application I did my psychometrics with.
Congratulations! Maybe I shouldn't get disheartening at this stage. I've passed a DMI but fell short of an offer at MMI. Passed Rail Operator but pipped by another candidate. Just gotta keep on going

Kevlar

Did you fail psychometrics at mmi? So you still have another chance?

MDCW

Did you fail psychometrics at mmi? So you still have another chance?
I was only told I "failed to give a significant response to area A" I still don't know what area A is. My current Assements expire in July so there is no way I can sit the MMI again and then go onto a pool. I'm going to have to start again from scratch by looking for opportunities and applying from the beginning again.

MiNi

I was only told I "failed to give a significant response to area A" I still don't know what area A is. My current Assements expire in July so there is no way I can sit the MMI again and then go onto a pool. I'm going to have to start again from scratch by looking for opportunities and applying from the beginning again.
13 applications over 3 years so far.
1 assessment centre day & that's it so far.

Kevlar

Im pretty sure they give feedback, give them a call or email them and then work on everything you need for the next mmi.

MDCW

Im pretty sure they give feedback, give them a call or email them and then work on everything you need for the next mmi.
I did speak to them. I was told they couldn't give me any more than I failed to give a sufficient response to area A. I have no clue what or where area A is. Nobody in the industry can answer this either..

MDCW

1 here, I think I was very lucky and applied at just the right time.
I guess timing helps in a big way. I imagine the next few years will be the toughest with so many displaced people with the right skills and experience who wouldn't have persued the railway before covid.

Gorlash1886

About 15 over 4 years, 2 attempts at the psychometrics 2nd one I passed and was offered a job, now just waiting to get back to traction

rakoczigabi

1 to get through the door , applied to be a rail operator. Got in straight away.

Driver - failed one test , but passed second time. Still a trainee though. Thanks to covid.

Coming upto 5 years in February that I’ve started by RO job.

MDCW

1 to get through the door , applied to be a rail operator. Got in straight away.

Driver - failed one test , but passed second time. Still a trainee though. Thanks to covid.

Good for you. I just got pipped at the post for Rail Operator. I met the standards oh so hopefully next time and I can follow the same path you did. Well done

DRS66421

I continue to battle on with getting my foot in the door. Only in my late teens. I have had 1 interview and applied several times for positions.

Can I ask, is that the Rail Operator (Shunter/Groundstaff) role with GBRF? This role interests me a lot. Could you please tell me what the recruitment process involves? Are there any psychometric tests involved? Do they look for you to have passed any psychometric tests previously?

Romsey

Another aspect to remember is once you're in the industry it can be a right pain to get even a grade to grade move as salaried/management staff. It took me about 18 months and 12 applications to leave one particular section. (It was the only time I had to work at getting a move in 43 years.) I can't prove it, but I suspect my applications were being blocked by higher management who were worried about the loss of expertise from that section. One particular manager was on leave and suddenly I got an interview and after a very easy chat ( certainly not a searching interview) I was appointed to a completely different role and function.

TheGoldfish

6 years and 25 applications later and I still can't crack the railway. I'm not sure whether to put my efforts into something else now or to continue.

How many applications did you make it until you got that offer?
i think 8 over 4 years .. and had just about given up on it when I got the call !

Just the 1.

From the bus stop to a trainee driver and qualified in 2017.

John Bishop

Fortunately my first attempt and got offered trainee driver position. It’s a tough industry to crack with thousands of applicants in many cases for just a small handful of vacancies.

Everything has to be right with the application forms in order to make the sift, and even then, there’s no guarantee that you will get picked.

DA1

First application I was successful and got a shunter driver role.
Second application I was successful and got a trainee driver role.
Keep persevering!

Last edited:

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
6 applications in nearly 3 years of which one I was asked to apply by a ‘secret shopper’ Southern Careers person whilst I was working at quite a big station but not had one assessment or interview.

In that time I have worked on the railway albeit via an agency not that I am saying that gives me any preferential treatment nor should it.

Stigy

Established Member
I was on the railway before I went driving anyway, but I made five applications for driving roles over the course of a year or so and received one pool placement which became a job offer a couple of months later.

I got to the DMI stage with three of the five and one job campaign was frozen (DB Cargo for Junior Driver. I didn’t even make the papaersift for my own TOC at the time a few times in a row (SWT as it was then).

My advice to anyone is to never give up if it’s what you want to do (regardless of the jobs you’re applying for). Just make sure your CV is up to scratch and stands out.

MDCW

I was on the railway before I went driving anyway, but I made five applications for driving roles over the course of a year or so and received one pool placement which became a job offer a couple of months later.

I got to the DMI stage with three of the five and one job campaign was frozen (DB Cargo for Junior Driver. I didn’t even make the papaersift for my own TOC at the time a few times in a row (SWT as it was then).

My advice to anyone is to never give up if it’s what you want to do (regardless of the jobs you’re applying for). Just make sure your CV is up to scratch and stands out.

Good to see you finally cracked it. I guess those that finally walk away just didn't want it enough. Good to read it worked out well for you

Status
Not open for further replies.