• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many applications and interviews until you cracked it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanW90

I was successful first time with my current guard role but my goal is to become a driver. Failed at the initial sift on my first driver application. The second time after waiting 8 months, I was told my application was unsuccessful but transferred to a different driver vacancy which got my hopes up only to wait another 9 months and be told that the role was withdrawn due to covid. I’ll keep plugging away to get into driving despite the setbacks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Birmingham36

I was successful first time with my current guard role but my goal is to become a driver. Failed at the initial sift on my first driver application. The second time after waiting 8 months, I was told my application was unsuccessful but transferred to a different driver vacancy which got my hopes up only to wait another 9 months and be told that the role was withdrawn due to covid. I’ll keep plugging away to get into driving despite the setbacks.
how long have you been a guard for?

FManc

I guess I’m fairly lucky in that I’ve applied for 2 trainee driver positions and got a job offer both times. The first job offer (VTEC/LNER) ended up turning into a talent pool which after 12 months of waiting was binned off. Bizarrely, it worked in my favour as I secured a trainee position at my existing TOC a few months after and it saved me having to relocate. I then spent a further 12 months in a talent pool for that position.

I applied at VTEC at the end of 2016 but didn’t actually start a drivers course until spring/summer 2019. With COVID delays etc it’s now 2021 and I’m still route learning after being at home for 15 months due to Covid restrictions with in-cab training. I’ll get there…..eventually!!

RJM

Applied twice for Gateline in 2014 aged 17…started driving on my own in January 2020 aged 22.

S-Car-Go

Bit of a saga...
Had done many years as station staff but couldn't move internally as my operator only recruited existing mainline drivers with 5+ years experience. Had to look elsewhere.
1st attempt, Heathrow Express, passed all psychometrics (do they do the coloured buttons & pedals test anymore?) but failed the CBI (old MMI) and got told I scored 19/20!! Aarrgh!
8 years later, different TOC, tried again. Passed all psychometrics, failed DMI, in which they said there weren't any vacancies for the depot I had applied for (despite it being advertised!). Aarrgh!
Following year, different TOC again, SJT online, skipped the paychometrics, DMI passed and started driving course 6 months later. Managed to complete classroom and 3 weeks mainline handling before the covid shutdown. Passout week is next week!

the stripler

1st time for me.
Lucky I guess, however I had the transferable skills that I new would appeal.

20 years working in control room of a secure hospital. Thinking on my feet, dealing with suicide, safety critical comms etc....

But still a lot of luck

Toastal

Folks......would you mind giving me some advice please. Applied for a trainee driver job recently...put everything into the application (I am a furloughed airline Captain). I submitted the application 2 days before the close date and just got a rejection email at the first hurdle......gutted tbh. I’m sure they were inundated with applications, but what I really want to know is, did they just take the first x amount of applications and bin the ones who applied nearing the closing date without even looking at them? Or...did they just not like what they read? The fact that there’s no feedback really makes things difficult!!T

Established Member
Folks......would you mind giving me some advice please. Applied for a trainee driver job recently...put everything into the application (I am a furloughed airline Captain). I submitted the application 2 days before the close date and just got a rejection email at the first hurdle......gutted tbh. I’m sure they were inundated with applications, but what I really want to know is, did they just take the first x amount of applications and bin the ones who applied nearing the closing date without even looking at them? Or...did they just not like what they read? The fact that there’s no feedback really makes things difficult!!T

In common with many industries TOCs often use software to do the initial sift nowadays; scoring applications on the basis of keywords etc., so there’s a fair chance it won’t actually have been read by anyone. Best advice is to really read up on the skills required and then make sure you hammer these on the application form.

MiNi

New Year new applications for me.Number 23 & 24 currently being worked on. The previous application was almost the best one yet. Close but no cigar!!.

EX-Counsel

Nightmare! hopefully you crack it this time. To be fair, I'm only on number 3 so far. This application is in the very early stages but I'm hoping to hear back soon.

What is the position you're applying for?

Only165s

Over 4 years, Applications were probably in the 30s, of which I had 6 unsuccessful assessment days or interviews before I finally got it right! I almost gave up!

MiNi

Thanks. To be fair I did start applying later in life as well. Interview at Bristol as a 16 year old=no offer. Worked for a company for 25+ years,had a family then started applying again 3 years ago.

Nightmare! hopefully you crack it this time. To be fair, I'm only on number 3 so far. This application is in the very early stages but I'm hoping to hear back soon.

What is the position you're applying for?
best application was commercial guard. Have applied for train cleaning gang in the past.Last application was train dispatch,currently have Gateline and Service delivery assistant applications live.

Last edited:

LokiB

Well in to the teens for various roles.
I just kept working on my CV and applications after each rejection to improve them.
Out of my last 3 applications I got 1x put in talent pool, 1x assessment day and interview but no further and then the one I'm on now which is waiting on a medical for a conductor role.
Before that in all my applications I failed at the papersift.

I applied for two positions. Passed for first time. I been placed into two palent pools last year. I am waiting patiently now. :)

michael74

About 10 applications (could be a couple more), over the last 5 or 6 years, for various roles, but mainly Conductor. had one group exercise a few years ago and failed, did not progress to interview, then I got an interview and I finally made it into the GWR Conductor pool in Dec, now sitting here with the patience* of a saint for the call.

(* its not easy :lol:)

Last edited:

Nuttygooner

I applied for 3 different positions in 3 completely different TOCs in February 2016.

Within a month, I was interviewed for Trainee Driver for Northern, Depot Driver for Chiltern in the newly opening Banbury Depot, and my current role at my current TOC.

I know that my experience in 2016 isn't the norm, and after a shocking couple of years in my current workplace, I am finally biting the bullet to get out of there, and now finding myself perpetually waiting. Thankfully my current role more than pays my bills and allows me to save while I await my next move.

Good luck for anyone trying to break into the Railway! It is a lot of fun, my only regret was not joining sooner.

Twotwo

Applied for gateline in 2015, got it first time. Applied for platform 2016, got it second time round. Applied for shunter driver beginning of 2019, failed MMI but got a chance to sit it again 7 or 8 months later and passed. Did that for about 18 months and in 2020 applied for gtr and got onto a trainee course August 2021.

TreacleMiller

Application number 3 and 4 are in for me - Northern and LNER.

Northern and TPE in 2020, got through to the assessment day with TPE and they canned it a week beforehand due to not getting an additional route. Northern also cancelled the positions.

I do wonder though why some seem to "spam" applications in for all around the country and wonder why they dont make if through the first filtering.

si_145653

I have only applied twice (both posts where just 1 vacancy) and been rejected twice. On both occasions I felt I was going through a tick box process as it seemed an internal was ear marked for the post

MiNi

I have only applied twice (both posts where just 1 vacancy) and been rejected twice. On both occasions I felt I was going through a tick box process as it seemed an internal was ear marked for the post
I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes you do feel that they only advertise the job externally because they have to. One of my applications I heard after my 'no' email that an older lady was always earmarked for the position to see out her railway career!!.

Star S W 9

1 here, I think I was very lucky and applied at just the right time.
Well done.

Here’s my story , started with SWT/R in February 2016

I never planned to work for the railway or knew anything about it. But got in at my first go ( maybe luck ? )

A guard who used to be friend with my husband told me in September 2015 that I should apply for a job in the railway , she said it’s great fun.

I went on SWT website and they were advertising a part time RO2 position , Monday to Friday 6am-10am. Something part time suited me with the weekends off.

I’ve applied for it , went through the assessments and passed.
On my way home on the train when the guard seen my free travel ticket asked me how was my assessment and if I passed etc.

Then he said I should look up the company and learn stuff about it for the interview.
I never thought that I should do that

So I went home and spent the next week learning about the company and trains on my interview they’ve asked me what I know about it and I haven’t stopped talking for 10 mins

Got a call the next morning that if I’m still interested I got the job.
Didn’t start till mid February 2016 , but it was worth the wait and I’m glad I went through it.

I’m a trainee driver now just a bit over a year now. Applied to be a trainee driver in 2017, got my assessments 2 months later , failed the last assessment on the computer ( 2 hand coordination ). Took me a long time to re try due to bereavement , but passed second time and passed the interviews as well in October 2019 , started the course in December 2019.

I never in my life thought that I’ll be working for the railway , my railway knowledge was 0 , I was the person who sat on the wrong part of the train and it’s divided and I ended up at the wrong destination so many times , but here I am , and I still loving it

I’ve started as a housekeeper when I moved to England back in 2011, who knew back then that I’ll end up here ?
I definitely didn’t plan it.

Ohh the job I had before the railway was in customer service for a courier company.
What a journey, excuse the pun!

HTB

I was really lucky I got In 1st time. I put my application in as i was not sure if I wanted to carry on running my business. I thought I was unsuccessful as I did not hear for 2 years then one morning got the email inviting me to a assessment my business was up and down as in the 1st year of covid so timing was great passed all assessment and interviews and I'm a year in next month and love the job. Good luck everyone dont give up its a great job.

MiNi

Thanks. To be fair I did start applying later in life as well. Interview at Bristol as a 16 year old=no offer. Worked for a company for 25+ years,had a family then started applying again 3 years ago.

best application was commercial guard. Have applied for train cleaning gang in the past.Last application was train dispatch,currently have Gateline and Service delivery assistant applications live.
Have already had the 'no' email for the gate line position. Just waiting for the service delivery assistant position.

NorthernTech

Application number 3 and 4 are in for me - Northern and LNER.

Northern and TPE in 2020, got through to the assessment day with TPE and they canned it a week beforehand due to not getting an additional route. Northern also cancelled the positions.

I do wonder though why some seem to "spam" applications in for all around the country and wonder why they dont make if through the first filtering.
Makes you wonder how many of the ones who apply everywhere actually get one though?! There was one person on here a year or so back applying for jobs everywhere and when asked why/how they can do that they just said they had lots of relatives around the country. Just so happened the relatives were near where all the jobs were being advertised! They actually got one on the other side of the country to where they showed themselves as living. Now perhaps they genuinely did have lots of relatives around, but it seems there are lots of people applying for every job, the current LNER vacancies being a good example, with people applying several times and for both vacancies. Kinda goes against the ‘must live within 45/60mins of depot’ rule stated and no doubt means one less person who genuinely lives nearby loses out.

Reckon I am at about 10 - 12 applications, mostly sifted out at application stage, but regular tweaking of it has got me through a few times. First sift got me passed a DMI before psychometric tests, passed all but MMI (was like a spy being interrogated!) so lost one of my two lives. Second successful sift and invited to tests again, thankfully passed despite it being the full suite of tests I had to do in one go!! MMI was not nearly as rough, but with a better company IMO. Still in the process for that position, moving very slowly, but applying elsewhere and able to say I have passes, whether it helps or not is not overly apparent.

So I’ll keep tweaking my cv and application info, keep reading this (mostly) excellent forum and keep my eye out for vacancies within a suitable distance from me.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Never contributed to this thread the first time around!

I got in on my 3rd application - the first time was a mid-level customer service role at my local TOC which I had an interview for but didn't get. The second one I had an application to a TOC management scheme and was invited to an assessment centre but by this point I had already accepted a job outside the industry. After a few years doing some rather unsatisfying jobs, I reapplied to a TOC generalist management scheme, was successful and I've been in the industry ever since (7 years ago now).

Status
Not open for further replies.