• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many stations in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Don't get me going about the transfer of Heathrow by a former Mayor that subsequently became a member of parliament for part of Hillingdon.
I don't think you can lay that at Johnson's door. The boundary change in question happened in 1994, six years before the position of Mayor of London even existed, and fourteen before Johnson was elected to the position. In 1994 he was Brussels correspondent for the daily Telegraph. He did not enter politics until 2001, when he became MP for Henley on Thames.

Heathrow is in the constituency of Hayes & Harlington, which was Conservative in 1994 but has been represented by Labour MP John McDonnell since 1997.

Neither the terminals or the station were part of spelthorne or on the border of spelthorne at the time they were built.

In 1965 until 1994 it was part of hounslow in London This is the period Hatton Cross Station would have been constructed.

Finally as you have said correctly, in 1994 the area above the A30 was moved to hillingdon.

The modern borough of Spethorne (now in Surrey, not Middlesex) was also created in 1965.

So whilst parts of the airport grounds do border Sptlthorne, the Station was NEVER on the border or in Spelthorne (the modern borough from 1963)

Hatton Cross station has indeed always been in Hounslow, but no part of any of the five terminals was ever in that borough. When the European and Oceanic terminals (later known as Terminals 2 and 3) opened they were in the Yiewsley & West Drayton Urban District, which became part of the LB Hillingdon in 1965. Terminals 1 and 5 opened in 1968 and 2008 respectively, and have always both been in Hillingdon. Terminal 4 opened in 1986, and straddled the Hillingdon/Spelthorne boundary until the 1994 boundary changes. Consequently, Terminal 4 was for eight years Surrey's only Tube station.

However, until the creation of the London County Council in June 1889, all Met and District Underground stations south of the river were in Surrey, except New Cross (which was in Kent). The connection between the Metropolitan/District and the East London Line had opened in 1884, the District's Wimbledon extension had opened in March 1889).

When construction started, all the stations on the original stretch of the CSLR except King William Street were also in Surrey, but were in the County of London by the time they opened at the end of 1890.

Kew Gardens and Richmond were the only Underground stations remaining in Surrey after the formation of the LCC in 1889. The only other Underground station to have been in Surrey was Morden, from its opening in the 1920s until 1965.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
A question prompted by a TV programme recently, how many railway stations are there in London?
I realise this depends on what you define as London, and what is included as a railway station.....

Interested in answers, and suggested definitions of London in a rail sense (perhaps inside M25, but open to other definitions) I'd suggest all rail including underground and DLR but not trams.

Interestingly the central line crosses the M25 to reach Epping, this is technically Essex but still in Zone 6 :lol:

AM9

Veteran Member
Interestingly the central line crosses the M25 to reach Epping, this is technically Essex but still in Zone 6 :lol:
Zone 6 isn't a definition of London, just a fare zone that mainly coincides with the limit of GLA borough responsibilities. So it's not just Epping that isn't in London in the north-east, there's also Grange Hill, Chigwell*, Roding Valley, Buckhurst Hill, Loughton, Debden and Theydon Bois all within the M25, but all (ISTR) in the Epping Forest District council area.
* Wikipedia has got the borough shown wrong on some pages, the border between Redbridge (GLA) and Epping Forest (Essex) runs between the backs of gardens in Long Green, a road within the northern extension of the Manford Way residential area, and the Grange Hill LU station land.

Last edited:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Zone 6 isn't a definition of London, just a fare zone that mainly coincides with the limit of GLA borough responsibilities. So it's not just Epping that isn't in London in the north-east, there's also Grange Hill, Chigwell*, Roding Valley, Buckhurst Hill, Loughton, Debden and Theydon Bois all within the M25, but all (ISTR) in the Epping Forest District council area.
* Wikipedia has got the borough shown wrong on some pages, the border between Redbridge (GLA) and Epping Forest (Essex) runs between the backs of gardens in Long Green, a road within the northern extension of the Manford Way residential area, and the Grange Hill LU station land.
There are other stations in Zone 6 outside London, such as the Caterham, Tattenham Corner, Epsom Downs and Hampton Court branches, Elstree & Borehamwood, and both Ewell stations. Stoneleigh is in Zone 5, and as mentioned the entire Hainault Loop on the Central Line is in Zone 4.

The closest station to Central London in Zone 6 is Kingston - ten miles as the crow flies from Charing Cross and still five stops from the GLA boundary

ijmad

Established Member
I made an attempt at doing a full count:
  • There are 333 listed National Rail stations in Greater London's 32 boroughs (+ City of London)
  • There are 270 listed tube stations
    • 15 outside of Greater London, so 255 (includes 2 entries for Paddington, Hammersmith and Edgware Road)
    • Bank/Monument is a single complex, so 254
  • There are 45 listed DLR stations - all in Greater London
But, simply putting these all on the same list (making 632) is not the right answer because multi-mode stations appear on multiple times, so we have to cull these.

There are some obvious NOs where the stations are entirely separate buildings, separated by a road crossing or similar. I think this would be Balham (which are adjoining but separate buildings), Bethnal Green, Brixton, Canary Wharf, Elephant & Castle, Heathrow Terminal 4, Lewisham, Shadwell, Shepherd's Bush, Stratford International, Vauxhall, West Hampstead.

Then we have duplicates we do need to cull from the merged list:
  • Stations where trains and tube stop at the same platforms:
    Gunnersbury, Kew Gardens, Richmond, Queen's Park, Kensal Green, Willesden Junction, Harlesden, Stonebridge Park, Wembley Central, North Wembley, South Kenton, Kenton, Harrow & Wealdstone (-13)

• Stations where two or mode modes stop at adjacent platforms, very clearly behind the same gateline(s):
    • Tube + Train: Barking, Ealing Broadway, Greenford, Harrow-on-the-Hill, Heathrow Terminal 5, Kensington (Olympia), South Ruislip, West Brompton, West Ruislip, Wimbledon, Upminster (-11)
    • Tube + DLR: Canning Town (-1)
    • Train + DLR: Limehouse, Greenwich (-2)
    • All three: Stratford, West Ham (deduct each twice as they appear on the list three times, -4)
  • Stations where the platforms are on different levels but still part of the same complex:
    • Tube + Train: Canada Water, Farringdon, Finsbury Park, Highbury & Islington, Moorgate, Old Street, Whitechapel (-7)
    • Tube + DLR: Bank (-1)
    • Train + DLR: Woolwich Arsenal (-1)
      All three: none
This takes us down to 593.

Now for what may be considered more contentious deduplications:
  • Stations where two modes just share an entrance (and sometimes a gateline):
    Blackfriars, Seven Sisters, Kentish Town, Blackhorse Road, Tottenham Hale, Walthamstow Central (-6)

• The large London terminals, where the tube stations are underneath the mainline stations, usually with separate gatelines but multiple routes between
    London Bridge, Liverpool Street, Euston, Cannon Street, Waterloo, Victoria, Charing Cross, Marylebone (-8)

• Paddington. Appears 3 times on the list, deducting 1 because the H&C station and mainline station should probably count as 1 (-1)

• Kings Cross St Pancras - I have left as three stations - Kings Cross NR, St Pancras NR, and Kings Cross St Pancras underground. You could argue that this should be treated as one station complex, or maybe four stations (if you consider St Pancras Thameslink separate to the mainline station). This seems like a matter of discretion depending on how you apply the definition of 'station'.
So that gives us 577. Although if you want to exclude the large London terminals it's 585.

One connection I didn't consider: whether Waterloo and Waterloo East should be considered part of the same station complex, and maybe Southwark too.

Crossrail adds another Paddington, Liverpool Street and Canary Wharf, and adds one brand new station (Woolwich), whereas Bond Street, TCR, Farringdon, Whitechapel, Custom House, Abbey Wood and Stratford are parts of the existing station complexes, or aren't new to the rail network. So possibly up to 581.

I am just am amateur with a spreadsheet, and haven't visited every single one, so be kind if there are mistakes here!

Edit: numbers all go down by 1 because I missed Roding Valley

Last edited:

Tester

• There are 333 listed National Rail stations in Greater London's 32 boroughs (+ City of London)
    • 14 outside of Greater London, so 256 (includes 2 entries for Paddington, Hammersmith and Edgware Road)
    • Bank/Monument is a single complex, so 255
But, simply putting these all on the same list (making 633) is not the right answer because multi-mode stations appear on multiple times, so we have to cull these.

There are some obvious NOs where the stations are entirely separate buildings, separated by a road crossing or similar. I think this would be Balham (which are adjoining but separate buildings), Bethnal Green, Brixton, Canary Wharf, Elephant & Castle, Heathrow Terminal 4, Lewisham, Shadwell, Shepherd's Bush, Stratford International, Vauxhall, West Hampstead.

Gunnersbury, Kew Gardens, Richmond, Queen's Park, Kensal Green, Willesden Junction, Harlesden, Stonebridge Park, Wembley Central, North Wembley, South Kenton, Kenton, Harrow & Wealdstone (-13)

• Stations where two or mode modes stop at adjacent platforms, very clearly behind the same gateline(s):
    • Tube + Train: Barking, Ealing Broadway, Greenford, Harrow-on-the-Hill, Heathrow Terminal 5, Kensington (Olympia), South Ruislip, West Brompton, West Ruislip, Wimbledon, Upminster (-11)
    • All three: Stratford, West Ham (deduct each twice as they appear on the list three times, -4)
  • Stations where the platforms are on different levels but still part of the same complex:
    Bank, Canada Water, Farringdon, Finsbury Park, Highbury & Islington, Moorgate, Old Street, Woolwich Arsenal, Whitechapel (-9)

Blackfriars, Seven Sisters, Kentish Town, Blackhorse Road, Tottenham Hale, Walthamstow Central (-6)

• The large London terminals, where the tube stations are underneath the mainline stations, usually with separate gatelines but multiple routes between
    London Bridge, Liverpool Street, Euston, Cannon Street, Waterloo, Victoria, Charing Cross, Marylebone (-8)

• Paddington. Appears 3 times on the list, deducting 1 because the H&C station and mainline station should probably count as 1 (-1)
So that gives us 578. Although if you want to exclude the large London terminals it's 587.

One connection I didn't consider: whether Waterloo and Waterloo East should be considered part of the same station complex, and maybe Southwark too.

Crossrail adds another Paddington, Liverpool Street and Canary Wharf, and adds one brand new station (Woolwich), whereas Bond Street, TCR, Farringdon, Whitechapel, Custom House, Abbey Wood and Stratford are parts of the existing station complexes, or aren't new to the rail network. So possibly up to 582.

I am just am amateur with a spreadsheet, and haven't visited every single one, so be kind if there are mistakes here!

Have an upvote - the sort of well explained research it's delight to see!

boring

• 14 outside of Greater London, so 256 (includes 2 entries for Paddington, Hammersmith and Edgware Road)
But, simply putting these all on the same list (making 633) is not the right answer because multi-mode stations appear on multiple times, so we have to cull these.

• Tube + Train: Canada Water, Farringdon, Finsbury Park, Highbury & Islington, Moorgate, Old Street, Whitechapel (-7)

So that gives us 578. Although if you want to exclude the large London terminals it's 586.

Crossrail adds another Paddington, Liverpool Street and Canary Wharf, and adds one brand new station (Woolwich), whereas Bond Street, TCR, Farringdon, Whitechapel, Custom House, Abbey Wood and Stratford are parts of the existing station complexes, or aren't new to the rail network. So possibly up to 582.

I registered on this site just to respond to your post, which someone on a FB page kindly referred me to. I've written a quiz round on London stations and am looking to create bonus rounds. Your excellent post here provides the numerical answer to one bonus question. Would you be willing to share your (mentioned) spreadsheet with me? I'd like to ask extra bonus questions about how many times certain words (hill, bridge, wood, etc) appear in station names relative to each other? I'm robinyulondon at gmail, which is a dotcom

Colinn

So that gives us 578. Although if you want to exclude the large London terminals it's 586.

Very interesting. I think there are 15 LU stations outside Greater London.
Amersham
Buckhurst Hill
Chalfont & Latimer
Chesham
Chigwell
Chorleywood
Croxley
Debden
Epping
Loughton
Moor Park
Rickmansworth
Roding Valley
Theydon Bois
Watford

What is your source of the 333? Are these stations served by National Rail, or run by Network Rail, or a TOC - eg West Ham is run by LU but served by NR.

How have you treated, Kings Cross, St Pancras, and Kings Cross St Pancras LU?

ijmad

Established Member
Very interesting. I think there are 15 LU stations outside Greater London.
Amersham
Buckhurst Hill
Chalfont & Latimer
Chesham
Chigwell
Chorleywood
Croxley
Debden
Epping
Loughton
Moor Park
Rickmansworth
Roding Valley
Theydon Bois
Watford

What is your source of the 333? Are these stations served by National Rail, or run by Network Rail, or a TOC - eg West Ham is run by LU but served by NR.

How have you treated, Kings Cross, St Pancras, and Kings Cross St Pancras LU?

Looks like a correction to be made - I thought Roding Valley was in Redbridge but it's actually just outside. I'll edit the post shortly.

West Ham and other similar stations are counted once because it's one physical station, my list does not take TOCs in to account whatsoever. Just physical buildings.

Kings Cross and St Pancras appears in the list three times, as two NR stations and a tube station (KXSP). Arguably these could be considered one station complex or even four stations (if you count Thameslink separately). This seems like a personal choice more than anything else in how you define 'station'.

Last edited:

Jimini

Established Member
I registered on this site just to respond to your post, which someone on a FB page kindly referred me to. I've written a quiz round on London stations and am looking to create bonus rounds. Your excellent post here provides the numerical answer to one bonus question. Would you be willing to share your (mentioned) spreadsheet with me? I'd like to ask extra bonus questions about how many times certain words (hill, bridge, wood, etc) appear in station names relative to each other? I'm robinyulondon at gmail, which is a dotcom

You're welcome, and welcome to the forum! ;)

ijmad

Established Member
Oh, and I'll see if I can rustle up my spreadsheet (aka workings) later... it's on another computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.