• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much of a general decline in parliamentary standards are we experiencing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
Business in the House of Commons on Tuesday started with Government whip Mark Spencer issuing the writ for the vacant North Shropshire seat.
They clearly want it swept under the carpet as soon as possible.
Looks like 2nd December, same day as Old Bexley and Sidcup. I haven't heard anything about candidate selection. There won't be much chance for canvassing, just before Christmas, two Tory wins will be the message, perhaps any lost deposits and the performance of Reform, I'm more interested in turnout - I reckon low!

Source: By-election triggered to replace Owen Paterson following standards row (msn.com)

brad465

Established Member
They clearly want it swept under the carpet as soon as possible.
Looks like 2nd December, same day as Old Bexley and Sidcup. I haven't heard anything about candidate selection. There won't be much chance for canvassing, just before Christmas, two Tory wins will be the message, perhaps any lost deposits and the performance of Reform, I'm more interested in turnout - I reckon low!

Source: By-election triggered to replace Owen Paterson following standards row (msn.com)
I've been seeing the 16th December as the date, 2 weeks later, perhaps as not enough time exists to make it the 2nd.

Typhoon

Established Member
I've been seeing the 16th December as the date, 2 weeks later, perhaps as not enough time exists to make it the 2nd.
I've based it on
By-elections must take place between 21 and 27 working days from the issuing of a writ.
from the article posted above. 21 days takes until 30th Nov, 27 days until 6th Dec. The article could, of course, be wrong!

brad465

Established Member
I've based it on

from the article posted above. 21 days takes until 30th Nov, 27 days until 6th Dec. The article could, of course, be wrong!
Here you go:

The by-election caused by the resignation of Tory MP Owen Paterson will take place on 16 December.

On a different note, the Owen Paterson scandal seems to have opened a Pandora's Box on Tory party corruption: since then we've had "cash for honours 2" uncovered, Lord Goldsmith offering the PM free use of his Spanish villa, and now Geoffrey Cox appears to have been working in the Birtish Virgin Islands and earning almost a million in the subject tax haven. (apologies if I've missed any others)

Typhoon

Established Member
Here you go:

On a different note, the Owen Paterson scandal seems to have opened a Pandora's Box on Tory party corruption: since then we've had "cash for honours 2" uncovered, Lord Goldsmith offering the PM free use of his Spanish villa, and now Geoffrey Cox appears to have been working in the Birtish Virgin Islands and earning almost a million in the subject tax haven. (apologies if I've missed any others)
If I'd bought the Evening Standard, I'd be demanding my money back!

SteveM70

Established Member
Geoffrey Cox appears to have been working in the Birtish Virgin Islands and earning almost a million

Johnson offered his usual mealy mouthed answer when asked about that. MPs should be “visible in their communities” blah blah blah, and if they aren’t “they will be judged on that by their constituents”. Of course deep down he knows party loyalty will trump dislike for the candidate enough for Torridge and West Devon to return a Tory.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The collection of front pages tomorrow looks bad for Johnson, which includes the Express:

View attachment 105346View attachment 105347View attachment 105348View attachment 105349View attachment 105350View attachment 105351View attachment 105352View attachment 105353

Only the Telegraph has an alternative headline and reserves discussion of apology demands to a tiny bit at the bottom of the front page, but I think all of the above working in effective unison, coupled with the fact this is 6 days on from when the row first erupted, shows just how big a hole Johnson is in right now.

I agree that's looking pretty bad for the Tories. For the first time since Boris became PM, I'd say there's a glimmer of a possibility that they might not win the next general election outright.

On a side-note, that set of headlines ought to finally put to bed the notion that so many on the left have that most of the media are basically Tory stooges and will only print stuff favourable to the Tories.

nlogax

Established Member
I agree that's looking pretty bad for the Tories. For the first time since Boris became PM, I'd say there's a glimmer of a possibility that they might not win the next general election outright.

Maybe. Ask voters in three months time and I suspect their famous short term memories will be ably demonstrated.

Here you go:

Considering I have just had a Labour Party email, stating nominations for Perspective Candidates are open - I know what link not to click on being just 24 years of age and that unless by a stunning miracle, the seat will stay blue!

brad465

Established Member

On a side-note, that set of headlines ought to finally put to bed the notion that so many on the left have that most of the media are basically Tory stooges and will only print stuff favourable to the Tories.
I'll agree with you when the same newspapers (ignoring the Guardian and the Mirror), start giving Labour and/or the Lib Dems neutral coverage minimum (note neutral, not favourable or unfavourable), or in the case of the Financial Times in 2019, backing nobody. In most of Starmer's tenure they haven't given him much unfavourable coverage granted, but he/the party have either been ignored or their actions relegated.

The PM has now said MPs must serve their constituents in the latest aspect of the Geoffrey Cox situation, which sounds like a subtle criticism of his actions:

MPs who are not available to help constituents and represent them in Parliament are "not doing the job", Downing Street has said.
It comes after Conservative MP Sir Geoffrey Cox was found to have been working remotely from the Caribbean.
The former attorney general has earned over £700,000 doing legal work in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) on top of his MPs' salary.
Boris Johnson's spokesman said MPs should be "visible" to constituents.
"The prime minister is clear that MPs' jobs must be to serve the constituents they represent in their interest in Parliament," the PM's spokesman said.
He added that MPs should be "visible in their constituencies and available to help constituents with their constituency matters".
"If they're not doing that, they're not doing their job and will rightly be judged on that by their constituents."

Labour is calling for an investigation into Sir Geoffrey's activities, saying he "took advantage" of Covid restrictions to work remotely from the Caribbean.
The BBC has contacted Sir Geoffrey for a comment.

Depending on how long this specific issue rolls on for, there's a small chance he decide/need to step down imminently. However, I think it is more likely he'll not seek re-election at the next GE, despite his seat being very safe. If he specifically stood again, the best challenger will absolutely hound them on the campaign trail about how his constituents were his second priority and that they'll offer better representation. This would be similar to George Osborne standing down when the 2017 GE was called, which was not long after his Evening Standard editor life began.

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
Tomorrow there is a vote in Parliament on MPs second jobs, and Johnson as now spoken out and said he backs plans to ban MPs working as paid consultants:

Boris Johnson has set out plans to stop MPs from working as paid consultants, ahead of a Commons debate on banning some second jobs.
The surprise announcement came just as Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer briefed reporters on his party's own plans to ban MPs' outside employment.
It follows weeks of political pressure amid a row over former Tory MP Owen Paterson, who broke lobbying rules.
The PM said a ban would stop MPs from "exploiting their positions".
The debate over MPs' jobs outside of Parliament has intensified since Mr Paterson was found to have used his position to lobby for two firms paying him.
He resigned as an MP earlier this month, after the government U-turned on a bid to block his suspension and to overhaul the disciplinary process for MPs.

At a press conference, Sir Keir said his party would ban all second jobs if it got into power, apart from "public service" roles or professions requiring registration.
The Labour leader said these included MPs working as NHS doctors and nurses, or in the police and as Army reservists.
But he said work he had done in providing legal advice alongside being an MP - but before becoming leader - would no longer be allowed.
Sir Keir had called the press conference to set out his party's position ahead of a debate it had called on the outside jobs issue on Wednesday.
That debate is due to end with a binding vote specifically on banning MPs from taking paid directorships or consultancies.

Sir Keir said Mr Johnson's plan - which was announced during the Labour briefing - was a "significant victory for the Labour Party".
But he told reporters: "Be under no illusion, the prime minister has only done this U-turn because his back was against the wall."
He urged the PM to follow through on his pledge and support Labour's motion on Wednesday.
But a government source said ministers would seek to amend it - thereby giving Tory MPs a Conservative proposal to back, rather than supporting the opposition.
Labour's shadow Commons leader Thangam Debbonaire accused the government of playing "dirty tricks", and claimed it was trying to "water down" her party's plan.
She added: "We don't need warm words from the Tories but concrete steps to clear up this mess made in Downing Street."

It's clear from the timing of his intervention Johnson wanted to take the spotlight off Starmer's press conference where he announced his party's plans on tackling this issue. But at the same time, there are reports some Tory MPs are not happy and might revolt to the plans, accusing him of capitulating. This move by him does though seem to be a perfect example of Heseltine's quote: "Boris Johnson waits to see the way the crowd is running and then dashes in front and says "follow me".”

Status
Not open for further replies.