• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Often Does a Driver Forget to Stop at a Station and What Are the Consequences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamalek

My curiosity led to this thread. It actually happened to me today; my train Kings Cross bound formed of an IC225 set was booked to call at Grantham, but we found ourselves hurtling through the station at almost 100mph when he realised and applied the emergency brakes. Lucky for the driver the signaller allowed him to reverse back into Grantham, but the look on his face on the platform said it all, he was in for some big doo doo when he got to Kings Cross!
Interesting - my one experience of a missed stop was Grantham: is there anything particularly problematic about Grantham, or simply only served by a limited proportion of services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
As for missed stations the only one I can remember was a special BBC North West Tonight charter train around 1990/1991 to Carlisle missed Wilmslow. I think the train waited at Stockport (where we boarded) and a taxi brought the stranded passengers.

Slightly different, one Bank Holiday Monday around 2003/2004 I was catching an early morning train to work in Bredbury from Marple. It was during the Trent Valley works on the WCML so Midland Mainline were running direct trains to Piccadilly through the Hope Valley to add capacity. My train was delayed by a late running HST which then decided to breakdown after passing Bredbury. This meant my train was diverted via Hyde Central on a fast run to Piccadilly. I asked the guard would he make a special stop at Woodley so I could still arrive at work albeit with a longer walk. He agreed and I was able to alight
The HST must have subsequently got going again as I walked passed Bredbury station the next Marple departure had just arrived.
Yes it did I remember it very well boarding at stockport station.
However wilmslow not on drivers diagramm and had to wait at stockport for taxis to pick up missed bbc media.
Special journalists and BBC's Stewart hall who then later named at a naming ceremony at Carlisle class 90 bbc north west.

RH Liner

Interesting - my one experience of a missed stop was Grantham: is there anything particularly problematic about Grantham, or simply only served by a limited proportion of services?
Well Maggie Thatcher was born there and some would see that as a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.